Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300380 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (session on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #1230 on: March 05, 2011, 05:41:54 pm »

Hrm, then somehow I think my tribal backstory is going to need some finagling.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: March 05, 2011, 05:52:21 pm »

Server is up.
Game in 10.
Woot.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 05, 2011, 05:59:35 pm »

Vaba's backstory doesn't really make a helluva lot of sense in relation to this world... it's not that PCs can't use psionics in this world, it's that there is no such thing as psionics. Also, your backstory would indicate that you've been places on the material plane other than Arcadia, which rather conflicts with the storyline. Sorry. Decently well-written, though.
Emmm... that's odd, but the story still works, just ret-con that they visited the standard cities and were in such a rush they gained no useful information about them.  Also, why the "no psionics", really as far as the Githzerai are concerned "psionics" is a fancy name for "Spell like abilities".  If you really hate psionics just say they have arcane spells.

Edit: and hamachi decided to break. Joy.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 05, 2011, 06:46:05 pm »

Oh fuck nethack I forgot about this.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: March 05, 2011, 11:13:45 pm »

Now the splitting is down to only three groups.
There were rings, an amulet, and a book containing my largest and grandest expository macro yet. Everyone shut up for ALMOST A WHOLE MINUTE while they read it. (that sounds more derogatory than I meant for it to be)
Maelrigar fought off 8 snakes. It took him some seriously lucky con damage rolls for him to realize that his initial tactic sucked. Then Maelrigar asked for a watered-down version of Leadership. The restrictions are: You get only one cohort (who cannot take leadership or have permanent thralls), who is 3 (not 2) levels lower than you, can only take NPC class levels, doesn't get the Heroic Durability feat, and uses 24 point-buy. Your cohort starts with only mundane equipment; you must outfit him (or her or it) yourself.

Also, journals. Valuable stuff.

EDIT: typo; cohorts do not purchase attributes using elves as currency
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:27:39 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: March 05, 2011, 11:18:50 pm »

Pheron updates his journal while Mysteller copies a book
Spoiler: Pheron's Journal (click to show/hide)

The Park Group is now with the Mage Guild group.
Also occured this round: Maelrigar decided to go looking for trouble, found it, and ended up poisoned.
Spoiler: Text of the journal (click to show/hide)

Also, I shut up because I didn't have any action to preform about it. Pheron wasn't reading it. And it wasn't one minute, it was FOUR minutes of silence. Finally Myst decided to copy it so I could do an In-Character action regarding it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:20:38 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: March 05, 2011, 11:52:55 pm »

What Maelrigar is buying: Bully Chains. It'll take up nearly all of his money, but you just wait until the Fear Stacking begins. All shall flee the Damp One. Now just to pimp out his intimidate check some more...

Also occured this round: Maelrigar decided to go looking for trouble, found it, and ended up poisoned.
Actually the antitoxin made sure that I didn't die a horrible poisonous death. Luckily I have a shitload of antitoxin for the future.

The restrictions are: You get only one cohort (who cannot take leadership or have permanent thralls), who is 3 (not 2) levels lower than you, can only take NPC class levels, doesn't get the Heroic Durability feat, and uses 24 point-buy. Your cohort starts with only mundane equipment; you must outfit him (or her or it) yourself.
I think this is a little harsh of a nerf. At the earliest you can take this feat, you get a level 3 NPC that can neither take a hit nor use skills very well due to their low stats. They will essentially be naked. At level 20, you have a level 17 NPC that has fallen even further behind the power curve. I personally would only take the feat if either the cohort could take PC levels or pay for its own equipment. That might be your point, though.

I'm currently updating my character sheet, I'll have a journal up soon.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 06, 2011, 05:03:12 am »

Considering that the D.M. has declared it banned since the start of the campaign, it is still a promotion.

What are the issues with Cohorts?
 xp battery: ban xp shenanigans, no wishes, no item creation, no body-swapping, spell transference, divine intervention, sentient weapons or anything else which could conceivably manipulate their xp voluntarily.
 character spam: all macros, all the time, if the cohort takes more than 20 seconds to make its move, it delays. Also, no cohorts of cohorts or followers with initiative.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 08, 2011, 07:20:33 pm »

By the way, there won't be a session this weekend; my birthday is tomorrow, my party is on Saturday, and Sunday is going to be split up roughly evenly between resting and homework, with maybe a dose of playing Akig's game thrown in.

Please reschedule your lives accordingly.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: March 08, 2011, 08:14:27 pm »

By the way, there won't be a session this weekend; my birthday is tomorrow, my party is on Saturday, and Sunday is going to be split up roughly evenly between resting and homework, with maybe a dose of playing Akig's game thrown in.

Please reschedule your lives accordingly.
Nooooooo...

The only thing I can schedule for that time is homework. PLEASE RESCHEDULE YOUR PARTY SHORUKE! I'M BEGGING YOU!

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 08, 2011, 09:50:02 pm »

Here's my character sheet, it would be nice if someone looked it over and told me if I forgot anything.  :D
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=281069
The only thing I've left out (intentionally) are the spells and the description/backstory section. I'll be able to get out a backstory eventually, but I'm stumped on what spells I should get. Some tips on which ones are useful would be good, as well as telling me if multiple people already have some of the spells on the list. And as for my skill ranks, those aren't all locked in yet, I might change a couple. Oh and the name may change, it was just the first thing I thought of.

Now some questions...
Are thieve's tools one use only?
The dagger says it has a 10ft range increment, does that mean I can attack someone two squares away with it?
And what's the difference between Diplomacy and Bluff? Couldn't either be used in most circumstances?'

Also Shoruke, your news has left me heart broken  :'(
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 08, 2011, 11:04:12 pm »

Here are your answers:

Thieves Tools have unlimited uses

On the dagger it is a throwing range. Unless it says that it is a reach weapon (spiked chain) then the range only is for throwing.

Diplomacy is used to calm people and to negotiate. Bluff is to be believed while lying, and to negotiate. For the most part they can be used in the same situations, but the DC (number needed to beat) can be different based on what's happening.

As for the spells I'll edit it into the post, but it'll be a mix of damage, buffs, and otherwise since I have no idea what you want to specialize in.

EDIT: Thanks for the typo notice Shonus. Also, the spells are posted below.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:17:27 am by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 08, 2011, 11:42:04 pm »

I prefer to think of diplomacy as getting people to like you, bluff as getting people to believe you, and intimidate as getting people to respect you. I generally think of diplomacy as more difficult to abuse, yes, people like you, but being liked only goes so far, the assassin has killed friends before, even if the merchant pities you, they still have a business to maintain, the guard will let you in, but why would a nice person like you want to be left off of the records? Bluff is fairly easy to abuse, the boy who cries wolf can get the merchant to leave their shop, the guard to believe that you really did lose your papers, or the assassin to chase someone else, but if you use it too much then it can start to catch up with you, and there is always a risk that someone will have already gotten the same information from a source that they trust more than a DC 50 bluff... Intimidate is simple, people do what you tell them to do because they can't resist you, but bonuses against it can accrue pretty easily, intimidating one thug is easy, a gang is difficult, intimidating a gang out of their fortified hide-out is near impossible where diplomacy could invite them out or bluffing could convince them that their supplies were contaminated. Intimidate also has more issues with over-use, if people obey because they have no choice, then they typically won't if they do...

Of course, this is all just my own interpretation, communication skills are one of the most D.M. dependent facets that D&D has...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 09, 2011, 12:40:32 am »

Here's what I found so far. I didn't bother with level 2 spells yet since it will be a few levels yet. If you need the full text just let me know.

Spoiler: Level 0 Bard Spells (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Level 1 Bard Spells (click to show/hide)

There are more spells but this all I found between the Complete series, PHB, and Spell Compendium that I thought would be handy. Don't be afraid to take a somewhat useless spell for flavor, because we can always use more. Somehow I think that Improvisation and Invisibility are just spell level typos, but that is up to Shoruke. Also this list needs to be approved since most of it isn't from the PHB.

EDIT: BTW coins are considered weightless. Keeping track of their weights is completely optional, and can work against your weight limit.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:49:58 am by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 09, 2011, 07:25:45 am »

On the dagger it is a throwing range. Unless it says that it is a reach weapon (spiked chain) then the range only is for throwing.

Minor but important error.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 244