Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300322 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (session on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #1140 on: February 25, 2011, 03:16:24 pm »

I like Wind of Chaos, personally. While Blind Zephyr can mean that as well, few people are going to look at "Blind" and think "Chaos". The main problem with Wind of Chaos is that we may have a few Lawfuls.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: February 25, 2011, 03:47:52 pm »

Kogan, I think you are missing the point of my words. I meant ambiguous as in the ship's name makes sense for both the fact that it is currently a sandship, but the name would still make sense for a flying ship when we upgrade it. The 'Desert' of the name would simply reference what it use to be, a sandship.

If you haven't noticed, blind zephyr wouldn't fit simply because we have never been without a direction. We always have known of where we should be going. Not only that but we are fighting the forces of chaos, which seek to destroy everything. However, Red suggested Desert Zephyr and I'd be alright with that.

I'm thinking that we'll have to call for another vote when these arguments are done.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: February 25, 2011, 05:28:54 pm »

I disagree about "being with a direction"

Was it the group's intent to go to the desert ruins when they were leaving the town? Of course not, the wind from the west (Zephyr) went there due to random chance. They were the closest destination to give the ship a "trial run". Before that, yea the railroad tracks lead into the mines, and yea the group followed them, but the second we got in the cave we jumped the track, and to an outside observer going in them was pretty directionless as it was. The first thing a group off to explore and map does is enter the nearest cave and risk life and limb to resolve their trouble? Not likely.

So Blind Zephyr fits just fine.

I don't like desert or sand. I'm sure we can come up with something better. How about "Zephyr Scorpion"?

Edit: Names nobody has raised an Objection to yet:
Edit: List moved to Here

Things I raise an Objection to on general principle (besides sand and desert):
Purple Power, Squishy

Any other suggestions?

(Edit 2: Also, a sandship is not a "Desert" ship. It's a sandship. You want to reference it's sandy past, Coarse Courser is a better name than Desert Wind. After all, the ship doesn't use wind to move, from what I read in the journals.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:04:45 am by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: February 25, 2011, 05:49:08 pm »

SandStorm?

Seems apt to me
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: February 25, 2011, 05:52:44 pm »

I object particularly to the "blind" part.
Blind is out.

without sand or desert
Sand and desert is out.

Procan's Kindness wouldn't be a very fitting name
Procan's Kindness is out.

How about Dunestorm or Dune Wind? I am not opposed to Dune.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: February 25, 2011, 06:11:53 pm »

Logan, we totally decided that we were headed to the ruins. Were you there back then? Everybody agreed to head to the ruins. Wind direction had nothing to do with it. And we do have a direction! As vague as it is, 'the east' is a direction. We're trying to find out what's out there, not wandering aimlessly.

How 'bout we choose something nobody would normally be able to understand, maybe in Latin.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: February 25, 2011, 06:15:24 pm »

Ventus nigra, ferrumque et ignes?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: February 25, 2011, 06:17:27 pm »

Logan Kogan, we totally decided that we were headed to the ruins. Were you there back then? Everybody agreed to head to the ruins. Wind direction had nothing to do with it. And we do have a direction! As vague as it is, 'the east' is a direction. We're trying to find out what's out there, not wandering aimlessly.

How 'bout we choose something nobody would normally be able to understand, maybe in Latin.
Yes, it was chosen, but was it the direction you planned on going when the party left the library? I fully agree that the choice to go there was a good choice. Just as the choice to go into the mines was a good choice. It still fits as blind though, because you don't have weeks of deliberation before the decision is made.

As for your Latin, got any suggestions? I think we need a list without people raising objections to. People don't want blind, fine. I don't want sand or Desert. There's plenty of other words to use though. Look at the list above of things nobody has yet objected to. it's getting long. So let's focus on that, things which nobody may feel passionate for, but nobody hates either :)

Also, Shonus, Is that one name or two?

Edit: List moved to Here
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:05:06 am by Kogan Loloklam »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: February 25, 2011, 06:18:24 pm »

It's just my previous suggestion google translated into latin.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: February 25, 2011, 06:33:34 pm »

How do you say 'of' in Latin?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: February 25, 2011, 06:35:18 pm »

I don't understand Latin very well, but I think that that's included in the form of one of the other words.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: February 25, 2011, 06:39:01 pm »

I think that just like Dwarven, word order and use implies the of, therefore there is no of.

(Edit: Could be the is ending though...)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:42:34 pm by Kogan Loloklam »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: February 25, 2011, 06:52:17 pm »

Well, since there isn't an of or the...

'Navis Veneficus Ereptor'. Add an 'of' and a few 'the's. (This isn't really a serious suggestion, though)

On an unrelated note, did you know that neither sorcerer nor rogue translates into Latin?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 25, 2011, 06:57:05 pm »

"Wizard deliverer of the ship?"

Google translate translates sorcerer as magus.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 25, 2011, 07:02:41 pm »

Interesting. The site I used translated 'Navis' as ship, 'Veneficus' as either magical, caster of spells, or poisonous, and 'Ereptor' as thief. I should have gone with using Google. The way I thought of it was 'The Ship of the Spell-Casting Thief', or 'The Ship of the Sorcerous Rogue'. Latin is so weird...

How does that work? I mean, in what order would the words go to get to that conclusion? I'm thinking as if Latin's grammar was the same as English's, but it obviously isn't.

EDIT: Apparently, it should be Nauis Fur Magus. Or so Google says.

DOUBLE EDIT: But when I translate it back, it says 'The ship of a mage is a thief'. How odd.

TRIPLE EDIT: Maybe it would be Nauis De Fur Magus: The Ship of the Arch Mage to the Thief. Slightly closer to the target.

QUADRUPLE EDIT: Yeah, I'm going with that.

PENTUPLE EDIT: Does Latin actually have rules governing word meanings? Apparently 'De' can mean either
    1. OF
   2. ON
   3. CONCERNING
   4. ABOUT
   5. FROM
   6. FOR
   7. RESPECTING
   8. DOWN
   9. FROM AMONG
  10. AFTER
  11. BECAUSE OF
  12. IN IMITATION OF
  13. ON ACCOUNT OF
  14. ACCORDING TO
  15. DOWN TO THE END OF

And that's only its meanings as an adverb!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 07:23:30 pm by Araph »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 244