Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300301 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (session on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #1110 on: February 21, 2011, 11:51:11 pm »

The rules for nonlethal damage very specifically do not count for choking to death. Two main reasons:
1) Definitions of nonlethal damage, and choking to death.
2) The second round of suffocation is described as "you drop to -1 hp and are dying". Nonlethal damage just does not do that.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 21, 2011, 11:58:46 pm »

From what I can gather, you are going to make a special rule.

I suggest that it be recovery similar to non-lethal damage similar, but (taking a page from something I found from pathfinder) a condition that reduces constitution for awhile afterward.

(Edit 2: A thought on how it could be done
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
)

(Edit:
Homebrew spell that makes people who are defeated by it fatigued.
The pathfinder thing that mentions conditons Reproduced below:
Strangulation rule made by some random guy

SRD. For the spoiler below
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:32:37 am by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 22, 2011, 12:54:04 am »

But seriously did I take any damage? I'm a little worried about my character's hit points since the person he was traveling with was choked out. Anyone know offhand what I lost in the fight?
Here's what went down. Ethan and Van sneaked up on a trio of monsters made entirely of eyes. (somehow) Once they were close enough, Van ran in and punched one in the eye. Lyca bit another one while Ethan summoned a hippogriff. Van and Lyca slew their respective eyebeasts, but the other one flew away to be chased by the hippogriff. The hippogriff apparently flew away or something, and the last eyebeast started choking Ethan. Van started punching the crap out of it while Ethan futilely grappled back.

Since not much actually happened to Maelrigar, can I do as I did a dozen sessions ago and tell a story of Maelrigar's past to count as the journal?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 22, 2011, 01:00:42 am »

Since not much actually happened to Maelrigar, can I do as I did a dozen sessions ago and tell a story of Maelrigar's past to count as the journal?
That'll work. This session was kinda short.

Ethan and Van sneaked up on a trio of monsters made entirely of eyes.
And nervous cords! And they had spikes on them.

Cats are to humans as spikey eye things are to beholders, according to the Monster Manual.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: February 22, 2011, 01:11:11 pm »

Did anything actually happen to Arrus after I left? We just did the encounter and then Nael and Arrus went a bit south-east, right?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 22, 2011, 06:40:24 pm »

Ethan and Van sneaked up on a trio of monsters made entirely of eyes.
And nervous cords! And they had spikes on them.

Cats are to humans as spikey eye things are to beholders, according to the Monster Manual.
But those weren't beholders.

How long did the sleep beam last? Because 0 HP doesn't knock you out, and I have a Cure Light Wounds prepared.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 22, 2011, 07:04:34 pm »

From what I can gather, you are going to make a special rule.
As far as those monsters are concerned, they have a specific attack type that has specific effects, detailed in their description. Think of it as less a case of holding your breath and more a case of having the circulation cut off from your head if that helps...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 22, 2011, 07:42:31 pm »

Which still requires a special rule :)

(Edit: In the Marine Corps they teach you many combat methods. One thing they teach is don't bother with airway chokes. It takes 3 minutes or more to take someone out like that. Instead you want to use a "blood choke" on someone if you feel the need to do it. Basically what you do is use the muscles in your arm to put the pinch on the carotid artery.

That established, when I went to the School of Infantry, A guy I went to bootcamp with didn't show up. Turned out he put a blood choke on someone who was taunting him to do so. Not enough for the guy to die right there, but it was done. This guy had been doing drugs though, and a few minutes afterward he collapsed. What happened was when this guy let up, the blood that was backing up came in a rush, with triple the dose instantly. It apparently overdosed this guy's brain and killed him.

Nice huh?

So, yes, there is a significant difference between being out of air and what these guys did, and should be reflected in temporary problems.)

(Edit 2: Anyone have a description of bote?)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:28:55 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 23, 2011, 01:08:13 am »

That... is somewhat scary, actually. I mean, when I think about choking someone that way, it makes way more sense than actually stopping people from breathing, but still.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 23, 2011, 01:28:27 am »

That's a shame of what happened to those guys from bootcamp but it is a good example of why Ethan would be down and out for awhile.

Any chance that this can count as a journal? It's a lengthier rewrite of his background that explains his vow of poverty as well as the multiclassing.

And there may or not be a cameo for the backup character hidden in there.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:31:30 am by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 23, 2011, 02:04:35 am »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 23, 2011, 09:25:25 am »

Spoiler: Maelrigar's Log (click to show/hide)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 23, 2011, 04:51:47 pm »

doing drugs
Ethan is a druid...
We best plan for the funeral now then.
Well, I could probably Delay Poison, then try to go on a badass killing spree to get to level 9 in that hour so I get immunity to all poisons.

No. Wait. I finished off my stash after Dwarftown. I've been in withdrawal this whole time.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 23, 2011, 07:47:32 pm »

Did anything actually happen to Arrus after I left? We just did the encounter and then Nael and Arrus went a bit south-east, right?

No not to us, I was still trying to get an encounter going after you left.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 244