Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300094 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (session on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #870 on: February 03, 2011, 03:10:27 pm »

Are we playing with Dinosaurs?
Still wondering. If not, I guess it's fine, but Dinos give me some options. Also, what's the requirement for Exalted feats? I've seen many varying opinions on them.
You mean, can you wild shape into a dinosaur? Well, your character isn't familiar with dinosaurs, so not YET. But if you meet one, then you will be able to after that. As for exalted feats, the same procedure as always applies: run it by me, and I'll yea or nay it.

Dude knows his sneak attack rules. He ain't no Fool.
My favored class IRL is rogue. Plus, I've been toying around with the idea of a subcaster rogue who makes ranged touch sneak attacks, so I've familiarized myself with the relevant rules. Ray of Frost OF 6D6 ICY DEATH BWAHAHA.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:15:24 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 03, 2011, 03:16:03 pm »

Is there any chance of us meeting dinosaurs?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 03, 2011, 05:39:13 pm »

There is a prestige class specifically designed for rogue/wizards, you need 2d6 sneak(rogue 3) and 3rd level spells(wizard 5), along with some skill ranks, but once you qualify it gives you 10 levels worth of full sneak attack and spellcasting progression.

If you want to multiclass as a rogue I would strongly suggest taking rogue as your 1st level, as that will get you 1 extra hit point and 24 extra skill points.

There are spells in the spell compendium that should permit sneak attacks into magical darkness, at higher levels there is also improved invisibility, regular invisibility will probably also work to some extent given that you will usually be making only one sneak attack per round, and there may be a swift invisibility spell in the spell compendium, it is the sort of thing they have in there but I don't recall it...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 03, 2011, 07:22:51 pm »

While you would get free skill points and 1 extra hp you would have to buy a spellbook for 2,300g (20 level-0, and 3 level-1). The starting gold won't cover this unfortunately, and we couldn't afford it with the party gold.

Based on this I would have to say that wizard is the better starting class choice unless the DM puts a different price on the spellbook.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 07:29:45 pm by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 03, 2011, 07:39:59 pm »

I am pretty sure that the spells you get from levelling up are free and that the book is not all that expensive...

Spellbook: 15gp

Quote from: SRD
except for read magic, which all wizards can prepare from memory

A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard spells (except those from her prohibited school or schools, if any; see School Specialization, below) plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new wizard level, she gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her new wizard level) for her spellbook.

Wizards perform a certain amount of spell research between adventures. Each time a character attains a new wizard level, she gains two spells of her choice to add to her spellbook. The two free spells must be of spell levels she can cast. If she has chosen to specialize in a school of magic, one of the two free spells must be from her specialty school.

It isn't really conclusive, it refers to the spells gained from level up as free in an addendum. It doesn't seem to list scribing costs in any location relevant to anything other that copying spells from other spellbooks or scrolls. It uses the term "begin play" which isn't really defined clearly. I would say that given that this would be a major expense for a class ability that is available for free to sorcerers, that the common-sense decision is quite obvious, as for the precise wording of the rules, there is an argument that you are acquiring a new wizard level, and should gain 2 new spells, there is also and argument that every time you begin playing you are reset to a basic spellbook...

I think that the worst-case scenario is that you get only 2 spells, most likely is that it is identical and you get a full normal 1st level wizard spellbook completely for free that has the basic all cantrips and intelligence bonus plus three first level spells.

Of course, I have been wrong about this sort of thing in the past, if you could explain the reasoning behind getting the book for free at 1st character level and having to pay for it if it is acquired at a later character level then it may prove enlightening.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:01:55 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 03, 2011, 09:11:02 pm »

Sorry to sort of cut off the debate, but I've kinda already decided that I'm going to start as a wizard. Roleplaying as well as personal preference. The Arcane Trickster prestige class is intriguing... It's nearly exactly the class I would hope for with this character. With prestige classes, you just have to fulfill the requirements before you can level up as it, right?

Also, is the world really defined? My avatar is an amateur scholar, so (in fitting with his wizardiousness) he would be writing a set of papers regarding the creation of Arcadia (where it came from, why it's floating, etc.) as well as his theories on what lies to the east in addition to his journals. This forms the basis of his reason to travel with adventurers. If there is a bit of lore about Arcadia regarding my questions, could I hear:

What people can see off of the west coast
If rivers drop of the edge of the continent
Is the continent shaped like a bowl filled with dirt, or is it a sphere
Do mountains crop up near the center of the continent
Where is the group now
How far east have they ever gone
Do the citizens of the land know what's to the north and south

If I could find out about that, as well as any other miscellaneous info about the island, it would be much appreciated.
Finally, (and this is directed at Shoruke) do you have plans for what's to the east? I only ask because I need to know if my character's scientific research will be terribly, horribly off or not.

EDIT: Is the actual time for Saturday decided?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:04:57 pm by Araph »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 03, 2011, 11:40:42 pm »

It should be at its usual time, 23:00 GMT (For ease of use in international conversion). I could be wrong, but this is probably the best bet.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 04, 2011, 12:11:15 am »

If everybodies going to vote for a time that works best for them, could I preemptively vote for somewhere in between 18:00 to 20:00 GMT? 23:00 is doable, but a bit inconvenient for me.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 04, 2011, 12:25:13 am »

What people can see off of the west coast: clouds and sky. Nothing else. Birds don't typically even fly off the west end of the continent.
If rivers drop of the edge of the continent: they do.
Is the continent shaped like a bowl filled with dirt, or is it a sphere: it's not spherical, but nobody's ever seen the "underside" of the continent.
Do mountains crop up near the center of the continent: all over the goddamn place, actually. The main reason for this is that they make extremely convenient plot boundaries, but try not to let this fact affect your in-character dialogue.
Where is the group now: the desert.
How far east have they ever gone: the desert.
Do the citizens of the land know what's to the north and south: north and south from the civilized lands, there is grass and then the edges of the continent. North and south of the desert is more desert and then the edges of the continent. North and south of the mountains is the edge of the continent and the swamps, respectively.

Also, it's perfectly fine that your character wants to know about the origins and present state of the continent in general. The adventuring group is the first handful of people to have this initiative in about 600 years, after all...

And yeah, the session will be at the new usual time: 11:00 PM GMT. (which for you weird militant types is 23:00)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 04, 2011, 07:32:55 am »

I might make it, but it is unlikely this week. My game should be on time tonight unless a lot of snow shifts and knocks out my power.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 04, 2011, 12:39:30 pm »

*Facepalm*
I just realized that 23:00 is in fact not 5:00 on the west coast. I think it's 3:00, which works much better for me. Please disregard what I said earlier.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:04:01 pm by Araph »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 04, 2011, 08:32:38 pm »

Here's Araph's first essay on his theories (these will go along with his journal), as well as his reasons for joining the group:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hey, I just had an idea. Maybe I could start with no experience at level one and gain experience from these papers up to the point of me leveling up. I'd also be writing Araph's personal journal for the bonus exp.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 05, 2011, 10:56:54 am »

Maybe I could start with no experience at level one and gain experience from these papers up to the point of me leveling up. I'd also be writing Araph's personal journal for the bonus exp.

(took 4 tries to write this paragraph without sounding like a total whiner)
Long story short, no. I've got more than enough stuff to keep track of without fine-tuning your experience that hard, and if you REALLY want to start at level 1 like everyone else... then you can start at level 1 the same way everyone else did. Note, however, that I typically give the group a 10% bonus to experience for every encounter (unless someone misses one or more of their turns, then they miss out on the bonus).

Game in... 7 hours, if I have my early-morning math right.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:00:58 am by shoruke »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 05, 2011, 11:19:28 am »

That's fine; bear in mind that I'm a total beginner at DnD, so I'm not good at judging how hard it would be to make my ideas work. For all I know, it could be idiotically, ridiculously hard to keep track of exp already. I'll just start at level one.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 244