Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300089 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (session on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #885 on: February 05, 2011, 12:06:43 pm »

I'll be there for the first part, but I'll likely be leaving early to run the sound systems for a play at my school. I may make it back by the end, I'm not sure.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 05, 2011, 12:11:43 pm »

Might be a little late. Depends on how much work I get done.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 05, 2011, 12:21:29 pm »

I'll be there for sure.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: February 05, 2011, 12:32:30 pm »

I think the reason that Shoruke doesn't want to have you at level 1 and get extra exp is the experience system. After a battle the experience is calculated based on your level, but now that we have a range of levels all level 1 players (if they stay level 1) will receive a higher amount of experience. This plus the extra journals would be hard to keep track of after a few sessions/battles.

Also, I will be there. I might also be doing sociology notes but I'll be there.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 05, 2011, 01:28:50 pm »

I think the reason that Shoruke doesn't want to have you at level 1 and get extra exp is the experience system. After a battle the experience is calculated based on your level, but now that we have a range of levels all level 1 players (if they stay level 1) will receive a higher amount of experience. This plus the extra journals would be hard to keep track of after a few sessions/battles.

The main reason is actually the balancing of encounters. Designing an encounter for people who are all the same level (say... level 3) is much more straightforward than designing an encounter for 2 level 4's, 2 level 3's, a level 2 and a level 1 person. Araph's character doesn't look like much of a bufferbot, judging by his spell list, and even the "strikes unerringly" magic missile pales in comparison to, say, Maelrigar's 21 AC and greatsword plus self-buffing.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 05, 2011, 01:35:47 pm »

You poor, poor fool. Once someone pulls a Cerrad on you, you'll know the true difficulty of designing encounters.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: February 05, 2011, 01:41:20 pm »

Cerrad... I recognize that name... Hey, isn't that the guy from the Mercenary campaign with that mustache?

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 05, 2011, 01:42:11 pm »

True enough. The CR6 spiders are a good example, you could have thrown 2 at Maelrigar and he would have been injured but otherwise OK, but everyone else might not be in the same shape as him.

And I will learn eventually, I aim to make a campaign at some point. However humanoids (and sentient beings) will have more tactics and strategies, making the difficulty much higher and harder to balance. Rushing in will be a bad idea indeed when I make a campaign.

Lastly, who is Cerrad?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: February 05, 2011, 01:43:56 pm »

It's Shoruke's character in my game. For a long while, he was so much more powerful than the rest of the party, he could have soloed most of the fights. Then DMgenie dropped the ball and was giving him extra XP, so he got to be one level higher than the party.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 05, 2011, 01:58:35 pm »

It's Shoruke's character in my game. For a long while, he was so much more powerful than the rest of the party, he could have soloed most of the fights. Then DMgenie dropped the ball and was giving him extra XP, so he got to be one level higher than the party.
Most of the other people in the game weren't really powergaming; Gurk was, and I was, and everyone else was rather vanilla. So, when my powergaming-practice-character learns Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, buys himself some Boots of Speed, keeps his sneak attack up, and takes some levels in Swashbuckler for a cheap Weapon Finesse feat and more damage, suddenly my DPS is through the roof. My standard full attack (when flanking) was roughly as powerful as the barbarian's critical power attack. Together, Gurk and I could kill just about anything level-appropriate at a rate of "one enemy per turn, absolute minimum", including bosses.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:01:40 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 05, 2011, 02:08:41 pm »

Right, and that makes planning encounters hard as hell, which was my point. By the way, Cerrad vastly out-damaged Gurk.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: February 05, 2011, 02:29:14 pm »

How long 'till the server is up and the game starts?

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 05, 2011, 02:33:23 pm »

3.5 hours, roughly. I usually have the server up a few minutes ahead of time.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: February 05, 2011, 02:33:48 pm »

3 and a half hours till the game starts.

Oh and do you have a token to use for your character?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: February 05, 2011, 02:35:13 pm »

Umm. No, but I know what picture I'd use. It's the picture on my character sheet.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 244