Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300024 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (session on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #765 on: January 18, 2011, 09:39:09 pm »

8 C.R.1 creatures might work but looking at C.R.2 and C.R.3 monsters worries me. I could see a little bad luck turning it into a total loss for the party with multiple deaths and lots of running away. Remember that you have multiple encounters sand multiple opponents to play with. You can alternate hordes and bosses, which worked well with that last outing, I pretty much wasted a summon monster on the first fight. You can also mix them with a boss and mooks, or a multi-boss battle(instead of one lich you can have an alienist, a transmuter, and a thaumaturgist all fighting together), throw in a trap or some advantageous terrain for kicks, or reverse it and give the P.C.s a stronghold and time to prepare against 20 Lizardfolk and a giant crocodile.

As a rule of thumb I would probably say challenge rating = level is appropriate for 4 characters, and adjust it by one every time there is a 50% change in numbers, so 3 characters might warrant level - 1, 6 might be + 1, and 9 or so might be +2. And of course you can dial the C.R. down a little to test the parties skills at attrition or dial it up a bit to make a fight more Fun(but there is no need to dial it up to 11...).

P.S.
 It occurs to me that this is probably patronising and that I have no experience, but meh, talk is cheap...

P.P.S.
 Please do not note that the Dread Wraith has effective blindsight, incorporeality, and spring attack...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 18, 2011, 10:41:02 pm »

Van's Tale
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That epic enough for everyone?

P.S. RAM, the CR2 and CR3 monsters you showed have additional damage dealing features, such as heat which deals 2d6 when you TOUCH them. Or melt weapons, that was a good one. Either way this brings up a good point, additional features to creatures like that can kill you quick or maybe the CR just needs to be raised. If we are killing things too fast to the DM's liking then I would suggest giving things more HP. It takes more time to kill and it has a fair chance at hurting someone badly before it dies (assuming the melee/range bonuses are sufficient). And in my opinion it is better than adding last minute monsters because another person or 2 showed up (for last minute DMing).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:53:53 pm by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 19, 2011, 01:09:08 am »

Hell yes that was epic enough. You have thoroughly earned your experience points.

Also, it's been nagging me that I said it so off-handedly and I'm becoming slightly paranoid that people will have missed it, so to reiterate: next session is on Saturday at 11:00 PM GMT. Note that this is two hours later than usual (or, for those of you who didn't update your definition of "usual" when DST hit, 'one' hour later)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 19, 2011, 11:28:36 pm »

I really must protest Van's Tale. "Acid flew at Finni's feet" <- You did read the bit where Tallulah was trying to ignore someone she thought was being stupid and the bit where Finni was the one casting spells, right? As a druid, I don't think it is even possible for Tallulah to cast acid as the puny level one PC she was in that encounter. Not to mention the bit where Finni was the only one to draw a weapon and then waved it at Tallulah's back, right?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 20, 2011, 01:35:33 am »

I can't be there on Saturday, I'll be too busy tooting my horn for fun and profit.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 20, 2011, 02:01:14 am »

As the party level, hopefully, increases, will there be a system for low-level characters, be they new or having missed sessions, to be raised to a point that they might hope to survive more than 5 seconds? While the xp system does assist lower-levels with more xp, perhaps raising anyone who falls more than 2 or three character levels behind the highest levelled character would be advisable...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 20, 2011, 11:20:27 am »

I fix'd the story. And the level system works until most of the group hits level 5, then I would suggest giving a free level or two to newcomers and less frequent players. You know, so they aren't one-shotted by a CR5-6 monster.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 20, 2011, 01:49:17 pm »

As the party level, hopefully, increases, will there be a system for low-level characters, be they new or having missed sessions, to be raised to a point that they might hope to survive more than 5 seconds? While the xp system does assist lower-levels with more xp, perhaps raising anyone who falls more than 2 or three character levels behind the highest levelled character would be advisable...
And the level system works until most of the group hits level 5, then I would suggest giving a free level or two to newcomers and less frequent players. You know, so they aren't one-shotted by a CR5-6 monster.
As mentioned previously, I'm still working on my whole "how to balance encounters" thing. But yeah, once people start hitting level four, new characters will start at level 2, with more money, and those who are still at level 1 for any reason will get similarly boosted.

I can't be there on Saturday, I'll be too busy tooting my horn for fun and profit.
You can get profit from that?!? Man, I should ditch the session and go play mah flewt with you! (I'm kidding, everyone)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 20, 2011, 04:04:56 pm »

I really must protest Van's Tale. "Acid flew at Finni's feet" <- You did read the bit where Tallulah was trying to ignore someone she thought was being stupid and the bit where Finni was the one casting spells, right? As a druid, I don't think it is even possible for Tallulah to cast acid as the puny level one PC she was in that encounter. Not to mention the bit where Finni was the only one to draw a weapon and then waved it at Tallulah's back, right?
Corina cast Acid Splash at Finni's feet, in an attempt to dissuade her from continuing the conflict.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 20, 2011, 08:08:40 pm »

Sort of. My school is paying for the trip, so relative to normal it's like I'm being paid.

Maelrigar is pretty close to level 4 right now; he's probably one or two sessions away.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 20, 2011, 11:57:43 pm »

Once again the story was fix'd, and from now on I will be writing down what happens as it happens so that these errors will be few and far between. Also I have no work on Saturday, so I can make it on time guaranteed.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 21, 2011, 12:40:32 am »

I believe that I am on 5673xp and thought that Mael was ahead of me, it may be worth double-checking that xp total...
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 21, 2011, 12:51:03 am »

With journal XP added, Maelrigar is as 5818. I wish I could make this session, I could totally level up. I may be able to swing some minor participation once we get to our hotel, but it's not likely I could stay long. Is there anything I could do out-of-game that could push me over the edge? Some crazy tale of Maelrigar's forgotten past, perhaps?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 21, 2011, 05:38:25 am »

Just reword someone else's journal...
Read the First Post!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 21, 2011, 03:37:45 pm »

With journal XP added, Maelrigar is as 5818. I wish I could make this session, I could totally level up. I may be able to swing some minor participation once we get to our hotel, but it's not likely I could stay long. Is there anything I could do out-of-game that could push me over the edge? Some crazy tale of Maelrigar's forgotten past, perhaps?
Like this?

Also, how the hell did you get so much XP?
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 244