Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 299663 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: Session on Saturday (always recruiting)
« Reply #3510 on: March 22, 2012, 12:23:18 am »

I suspect that it trades versatility for firepower, but its firepower isn't exactly overwhelming...

I will have to token up my level 4 summons soon...

You may be able to use the 'macro' roll option to make the critters more personalised, but that is a great big ugly can of worms...

I use 'eval' to generate critical hits, it lets me store the crit multiplier and damage dice separately, so it saves on configuration data, I think... Meh, I should look this up and figure out exactly what I did... from memory I have something along the lines of:
[h:sides=2]
[h:dice=6]
[h:crit=2]
[t:damage=eval(sides+"d"+dice)]
[t:crit_damage=damage+eval(sides*(crit-1)+"d"+dice)]

And of course there is the dynamic variable thing:
[h:sword=2]
[h:axe=3]
[h:scythe=4]
[h:status=input("weapon|sword,axe,scythe|Choose your weapon|RADIO|VALUE=STRING")]
[r:"The critical multiplier should be "+eval(weapon)+"."]

The above should work, but the json stuff can do the dynamic variable thing better...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: March 22, 2012, 01:44:55 am »

If you want a powerful character it isn't always about hitting hard with a big weapon. Look for a potentially good feat, and look for feats and class features that build on it. I used Inhuman Reach from Lords of Madness as a basis for my character in Trail's End (Skyrunner's campaign). I used a wood elf in my character's build, but Shoruke only allowed one flaw in this campaign, so I'm using human in this example.

Spoiler: Ranger 2/Scout 4 (click to show/hide)

This would result in you moving up to 40 feet, attacking from 10 feet away with skirmish damage on each hit, and then running away after to get an AoO when they rush you. Add tumbling, and you'll consistently do skirmish damage and you'll almost always have an AoO against them since they will have to keep crossing your 10 foot reach. Once I hit Ranger 4 at level 8 I added the Distracting Attack ACF, which makes enemies flanked after attacking them, which is a fantastic set up for rogues to rush into. There is still a lot of fun to be had there, but it definitely is powerful. I enjoyed making that one. The biggest problem is the delayed Improved Two Weapon fighting.

If you want to full-attack and move 10 feet to qualify for skirmish damage you can try a DC 40 tumble check, but that might involve a skill focus (tumble), and some other things. Still something to consider for high level play once your tumble modifier is nice and high. Skirmish damage may be lower than sneak attack damage, but with Swift Hunter it works on everything, and it's fairly easy to add to attacks.

Just because I can't really make it to Sunday sessions doesn't mean that I can't contribute. ;D

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: March 23, 2012, 06:20:41 am »

If you really want to, you could also take the Standstill feat and trade in your AoO damage for making them save against outright stopping before they get into range. Lower damage output, yes, but then you get no damage until they make the save.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: March 24, 2012, 10:44:08 am »

@Sho: So, we on for a session today? :)

Also, journal time.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: March 24, 2012, 12:23:34 pm »

So yeah, session? Also, I'd really like to know how much xp we got for that last battle.

Spoiler: Adale's Diary (click to show/hide)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: March 24, 2012, 12:23:55 pm »

The session is going to be tomorrow rather than today actually, since (as of very recently) I work today. And I need the hours because, you know... university student.

The exp is way late, and for that I apologize.
Mystellar: 578
Vaba: 566
Ethan: 514
Loaw, Adale: 825
Brick, Destivel: 880
((no loot, since you guys ran past all of the corpses and didn't stay to kill the dragon... luckily, the town full of bandits is also full of loot, and bandits that you can rob.))

As for Alienists, they look fine. Actually, they look FREAKIN' CREEPY, but not game-breaking.
Their whole thing is that they summon pseudonatural creatures, and only pseudonatural creatures, in place of celestial or fiendish ones. So when you're looking at the summon list, you can summon anything whose name starts with Celestial or Fiendish (or is just a normal animal), but take away it's celestial/fiendish template and give it the pseudonatural template instead.

So, looking at Summon Monster III as an example, you wouldn't be allowed to summon an elemental, a hell hound, or a dretch, but you could summon a pseudonatural version of any of the other things on the list (which still leaves you with 13 choices, not including non-core additions).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:25:32 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: March 24, 2012, 01:01:25 pm »

Okay, I think I've got an idea. Can you approve  Spirit shamans from complete divine? Also, can you make their casting only based on Charisma, like you did with favored souls? Furthermore, can I apply the pseudonatoral summoning on the animals I can summon with Summon nature's ally? I know it's not possible by RAW, but I really like the concept. If I can't, I'll just use a wizard, so it's not a big problem, but I like the idea from a fluff standpoint.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: March 24, 2012, 05:55:18 pm »

Journal time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: March 24, 2012, 06:05:52 pm »

I may be unlikely, as my computer (as opposed to my iPod) has a busted charger; I'll need to wait for solder to fix it or a new computer to replace it. Both would be fine, considering it's six or seven years old.

Oh, and school night with homework and all that.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: March 24, 2012, 09:56:12 pm »

Adding the template to summon nature's ally would have to have consequences, I would probably shift the critter up by one spell level.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: March 25, 2012, 03:30:25 pm »

I'll approve Spirit Shamans, even though they seem kinda like the Mary Sue of casters... "Not only do I get an obscene number of spells per day and cast every single one of them spontaneously like a sorcerer, I can also change my known spells around every day like a druid! And I don't have to spend a full-round action to use Metamagic, I just prepare it ahead of time for cheap like a wizard! I also have d8 hit die, and more skill points than other casters!"

Yes, you can apply the Pseudonatural template to Summon Nature's Ally critters... but only to animals, magical beasts, and fey. No pseudonatural elementals or outsiders.

Also, game in 2.5 hours... And I still have a bunch of maps to make X|
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: March 25, 2012, 05:27:34 pm »

((double-post, please excuse, etc. etc.))
Server's up.
2 of 3 maps done. (haha... "done"...)

Also, since most maps are unavailable now (include Bote), just ask me to fetch any pogs you left on previous maps if you still need them. The Party Pog Repository is still available, of course.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: March 25, 2012, 06:02:19 pm »

Spoiler: Maelrigar's Log (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Tale of Brick (click to show/hide)

Brick. As in, "smart as a..."

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3523 on: March 25, 2012, 06:07:22 pm »

Thanks to the above log, I've gotten the idea for my next future campaign. :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

DrVoltron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: March 25, 2012, 06:33:32 pm »

Well, it took a while especially since I'm new at D&D, and it's min-maxed as hell, but here it is, http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382283.Sorry for posting my sheet at the last second, I got lazy about adding the feats.
I'm a man, and I can change... if I have to... I guess....
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 244