Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 299953 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: Session on Saturday (always recruiting)
« Reply #3165 on: January 20, 2012, 06:58:34 pm »

Important question here: The actual words of the cold iron rules say "any magical enhancements cost an additional 2,000 gp. "

Which could mean several differing things.

Is it 2000 one time cost.
2000 each time you get it upgraded
2000 for each enchantment.

Would a +5 cold iron weapon cost 10k extra? Or only 2 if you got it all at once. Or 2 no matter what order you got it in?

Castles, more so for castles that can be dropped, cost a lot of gold.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: January 20, 2012, 07:15:10 pm »

About weapon enchantments, what ones would people recommend? I was thinking of aiming for one of the following on each blade: bane, defending, spell-storing, holy, or something related to shock damage. Unfortunately, I am most likely not a very good judge of what's good when it comes to magic items, so I'm hoping one of you has some thoughts on the matter. Also, what would be a good choice for the target of a bane enchantment? What enemy type would we be most likely to face regularly?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: January 20, 2012, 07:31:57 pm »

Predictably? We have been facing alot of Duergar guards when we run up against the big bad. They're his main soldiers, possibly-though he'll probably have humanoid soldiers from most underground races. I'm not sure if this cave we are in now is connected to that.

When we run into Orbs, we inevitably end up facing summoned nasties. In the two times I can recall, one was an outsider (big tentacle mouthy thing) and some sort of corruption Elemental that gave my other char Andre the Taint.

Apparently he still has the taint, but Shoruke probably forgot about that. I was supposed to be happy with the sword of Damocles over my head, I guess.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: January 20, 2012, 08:37:18 pm »

bane on humanoid requires a racial subtype, and on outsider requires an alignment subtype. Evil outsider bane is usually pretty reliable in conjuration-heavy campaigns, because most parties spend most of their time fighting Evil, and conjuration implies extraplanar implies outsider...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: January 20, 2012, 09:09:36 pm »

Another approach is to get a bane for when you really need it. If you are a bit of a 'glass cannon' then you may want to invest in bane versus things like giants, with reach and high damage. Dragons are pretty much universally unpleasant for their CR, although it may be difficult to get into sword-range of one... Undead tend to have limited hit points and nasty abilities, so the extra damage could really pay off against them, fey even more so, but fey are super-rare...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: January 20, 2012, 09:16:15 pm »

Huh. That battle would have sucked. Also, what on earth have you guys been up to? Care to update me a little?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: January 20, 2012, 09:44:27 pm »

What's your opinion on Bane versus Shock? Would 1d6 damage against everything outweigh +2 to attack rolls and 2d6 damage to one creature type?

Huh. That battle would have sucked. Also, what on earth have you guys been up to? Care to update me a little?
Well, last session the party invaded a subterranean bandit camp, and two new guys are stuck in cages. Now I'm receiving advice on weapon enchantments.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: January 20, 2012, 09:57:10 pm »

I mean over all the sessions...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: January 20, 2012, 10:37:41 pm »

Well, shock is basically better, but bear in mind that it would stop working versus a blue dragon, and dragon bane would start working. Now comparing a juvenile blue dragon to a stone giant leaves the impression that dragons are just plain nastier than other critters...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:40:27 pm by RAM »
Read the First Post!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: January 20, 2012, 10:48:06 pm »

Are we going to be fighting a lot (and it would have to be a lot) of dragons though?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: January 20, 2012, 11:32:16 pm »

Are we going to be fighting a lot (and it would have to be a lot) of dragons though?
I second this question.

Class related question: psionics still aren't allowed, right? Did Shoruke give a yea or nay to his contemplation of whether or not to allow them yet?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: January 21, 2012, 04:07:34 am »

We did face a trio of little Dragons once before, but I think that was more or less random. Also they might have been friendly.

Also, we didn't so much face them as intimidate them away.

And we intimidated them by having two of our players get into an argument. The one tries to bullrush another off the Sandflier and gets cut in half.

Yeah. :P

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: January 21, 2012, 07:08:37 am »

Also consider merciful and Vicious, merciful is 1d6 against most everything alive, while vicious is 2d6 against everything... ... ... Spell storing is a solid choice, but is very poorly worded, specifically as to who is casting the spell. If it is the weapon then it will be at the caster-level of the weapon and the minimum ability score required to cast the spell. Alternatively it could be either the wielder or the original caster, who would have their own abilities, feats, and other properties... It may only accept spells which are of a specific targeting type too. It may not accept spells with touch attack or point in space targeting options... Shock is a good choice, it works against most low-level opponents and does an average of 3.5 extra damage, which is a solid contribution...
Read the First Post!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: January 21, 2012, 09:32:02 am »

Just a diary entry, nothin' to see here...  ::)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 244