Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300129 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: Back to being on lame maybe-hiatus and stuff
« Reply #2865 on: November 15, 2011, 08:48:45 am »

Lycanthropy from the S.R.D. is weird, as far as I can tell it is the only case of hit points ignoring constitution modifiers. Animal hit dice grant hit points based upon constitution in animal form and class hit dice determine hit points assuming the humanoid form's constitution and any constitution score changes from animal form do not actually change the character's hit points. Base attack bonus is more familiar, and works just like multiclassing, except that level adjustment levels have 0 Base attack bonus along with zero in most everything else...

The feat is Practiced Spellcaster from page 82 of the complete arcane, it requires 4 ranks of spellcraft and increases your caster level with a single class' spells by the lesser of four or your hit dice minus your caster-level. If your D.M. is feeling generous then you may be able to get level adjustments included with hit dice, but you would have to be lucky...

Another one is arcane strike from page 96 of the complete warrior, it requires a base attack bonus of 4 and third level spellcasting, but you can sacrifice a spell to get +1 to attack bonus and +1d4 damage per spell-level for the entire round. Fireballs are quite nice, but so is +3 to hit and +3d4 damage. It is kind of expensive for a wizard, but if you are going to spend the round hitting things instead of casting at them anyway...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: November 15, 2011, 06:12:43 pm »

I think hit points work normally with the template class version of lycanthropy.

Practiced spellcaster looks like an awesome feat. Hopefully Shoruke will approve of it. Arcane strike also looks cool; once I'm able to cast higher level spells, it'll be a good way of using spells that I can't cast in animal form.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: November 15, 2011, 07:25:39 pm »

Downside of Practiced Spellcaster is that it's explicitly stated that its effect only includes caster level, not spells per day or spells known. It would be broken otherwise, because it would effectively let you gestalt. Level 6 Wizard 2/Archivist 2/Druid 2 with the feat 3 times. Hell, Druid could be replaced by Bard for most of all the other spells that a Wizzy and Archie can't get. Sure, it's 3 feats, but it's a barely-weaker tristalt t1 caster. So yeah, Practiced Spellcaster only affects caster level.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: November 15, 2011, 07:38:01 pm »

Even so, that would give what spells I can cast enough oomph to justify even taking levels of wizard.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: November 15, 2011, 08:27:16 pm »

I believe that you can only take [practiced spellcaster] once for each class. You can take it multiple times if you apply it do a different class each time... But yes, it doesn't make you feel better when the mage next to you throws a fireball that you can't, but it is nice that you both have the same scorching ray...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: November 15, 2011, 11:12:11 pm »

Shoruke, what are your thoughts on equipment enchanted to benefit Lucus in wolf form? That is, would it be acceptable to use the Craft Wondrous Item feat to make homebrewed magic items that are activated upon switching forms? Would that be possible?
I think I posted a list before containing which item slots animals can use... I'll let you choose to keep magical items that make sense from being absorbed into you when you transform, so you can still use them. So an amulet of Mage Armor wouldn't be much help to you in human form, but you can turn into a wolf and make use of it.
Incidentally, a basic Amulet of Mage Armor with three charges (lasts one hour per charge) costs 1,080 gp... it would likely have a higher base price if one of your teammates made it (due to higher caster levels) , but would also last longer per charge.

Bracers of Divine Power (1/day) have a base price of 10,080 gp...

No, you may not take a feat to increase your BAB progression. Letting players alter their BAB progression is one the "THOU SHALT NOT, EVER"s of GMing. Heck, look at Barb; I let him sacrifice spells to increase his BAB, and just look at what he did to my game's damage economy.

I happen to be familiar with Practiced Spellcaster, I'll approve it. Hell, I'll even make it compatable with your Lycanthropy levels, since in your particular case your spellcasting is basically crippled by your LA or multiclassing or whatever you want to call it.
Arcane Strike wasn't requested, per say, but I'll approve it regardless. I'll lower the requirements on it to being able to 2nd level spells instead of 3rd. (that probably won't break anything, it's just a handful of d4's... what could go wrong with giving a werewolf more d4's...)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: November 15, 2011, 11:27:22 pm »

WOO!!! Thanks for giving the go-ahead to Practiced Spellcaster and Arcane Strike; in fact, Arcane Strike would be like converting spells into attack bonuses. Not exactly BAB, but far better than nothing! So... two wizard levels from now I'll be able to take Arcane Strike, and three level-levels from now (or six, if I get Arcane Strike first...) I'll get Practiced Spellcasting. Then my only problem is getting more caster levels! So... caster levels. Yeah.

And about the Mage Armor amulet, I'm wondering if it can be a continuous effect. In the table on magic item creation costs, it says that an item that works continuously has a cost equal to (Spell Level)*(Caster Level)*(2000), with an addendum that states
Quote from: d20SRD.org
If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.
Does that mean that an item with an hour/level would be able to be enchanted at a multiplier not listed? Or can those spells not be put as a constant effect enchantment?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:34:02 pm by Araph »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: November 16, 2011, 04:14:16 am »

Or you could get some pearls of power and have someone else cast mage armour on you. The disadvantage of the continuous use item is that it uses up a slot, which is probably a good way to do it, as slots won't be an issue for a while and casting the spell on you won't be much of an issue at later levels...

(that probably won't break anything, it's just a handful of d4's... what could go wrong with giving a werewolf more d4's...)
I am more worried about what Maelrigar can do with extra attack bonus to be honest...(Be glad that exotic weapon master doesn't work with greatswords, it has a fun thing with power attack. Frenzied berserker too, but I am not sure if Mael is interested in becoming a ragemage...)
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: November 16, 2011, 08:40:30 am »

Eh, Ragemage is a silly class. Who knows, though. I may need to shoot myself in the foot a bit more.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: November 16, 2011, 10:19:33 am »

An amulet of always-on Mage Armor uses a different chunk of the formula, I'm afraid. When possible, Magic Items use the values on the top part of the "ESTIMATING MAGIC ITEM GOLD PIECE VALUES" table, so the formula would actually be...
Bonus2 x 1000  gp
Which, for a +4 armor bonus, means that that is a 16,000 gp amulet. The good news is, it won't get pricier due to caster levels!
(Oh yeah, I think I mentioned at some point in the thread, you can suppress your caster level during Item Creation... so you could have one of your arcane casters pretend to be level 1, and stick with the 1 hour per dose to keep the amulet cheap, or you could have them suppress their caster level down to three if three hours of armor-ness is more your thing...)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: November 16, 2011, 12:04:55 pm »

(please excuse the double-post if you give a damn about double-posts)
(if you don't, carry on)

I'll be giving this game's time slot to Red's game again this week, since I'm going to be spending a large fraction of my weekend at school doing homework anyway. Second-last week of November is the week of MAKE ALL THE PROJECTS DUE around here, apparently. For a start, build a kernel using MIPS in C that implements scheduling (in three different styles) and threading, plus implementation for about 12 different MIPS System Calls.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: November 16, 2011, 04:04:44 pm »

No, you may not take a feat to increase your BAB progression. Letting players alter their BAB progression is one the "THOU SHALT NOT, EVER"s of GMing. Heck, look at Barb; I let him sacrifice spells to increase his BAB, and just look at what he did to my game's damage economy.
Ah, but of course, Save or Dies beat damage any day, unless your damage is ludicrous enough to be a "no save, just die"

Also, if I didn't give a damn about roleplaying, I could probably out-melee Barb. Especially if Ethan were familiar with Fleshraker dinosaurs.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: November 16, 2011, 07:25:32 pm »

:( Next week Wednesday is the big day where I fight for my son. I'm going to be freaking out until then, anything to distract me would have been nice :(
Of course Today, tomorrow, and the next day are busy as all hell as I scramble to get last minute thoughts in order. Like today, Why didn't I consider in the last few months that it might be a good idea to ask my best friend of 15+ years to testify on my behalf regarding my non-violent nature? Gahh, I'm an idiot and it might cause my son to lose his dad! I really, really hope I didn't make too many of those kinds of mistakes.

On the bright side, the opposition was thinking something that was very wrong was a fact. They kept thinking I got a Deferred Sentence. What I had instead was more similar to a Deferred prosecution. The difference? One has someone being found guilty.
Of course it wasn't even a deferred prosecution. it was more of an agreement not to waste the court's time and money to find me innocent and instead I take classes I felt were beneficial anyway with my wife. She didn't take them which is why I am where I am, but bah... Way too much going on. Damn you Shoruke, for cutting out one of the potential distractions from this.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #2878 on: November 16, 2011, 09:07:09 pm »

:( Next week Wednesday is the big day where I fight for my son. I'm going to be freaking out until then, anything to distract me would have been nice :(
Of course Today, tomorrow, and the next day are busy as all hell as I scramble to get last minute thoughts in order. Like today, Why didn't I consider in the last few months that it might be a good idea to ask my best friend of 15+ years to testify on my behalf regarding my non-violent nature? Gahh, I'm an idiot and it might cause my son to lose his dad! I really, really hope I didn't make too many of those kinds of mistakes.

On the bright side, the opposition was thinking something that was very wrong was a fact. They kept thinking I got a Deferred Sentence. What I had instead was more similar to a Deferred prosecution. The difference? One has someone being found guilty.
Of course it wasn't even a deferred prosecution. it was more of an agreement not to waste the court's time and money to find me innocent and instead I take classes I felt were beneficial anyway with my wife. She didn't take them which is why I am where I am, but bah... Way too much going on. Damn you Shoruke, for cutting out one of the potential distractions from this.

Yeah Shoruke, way to be a dick.  I thought you were cool.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: November 16, 2011, 10:49:58 pm »

Yeah Shoruke, way to be a dick.  I thought you were cool.
Not cool, bro.

Good luck, Kogan. If you want I can run some combat encounters on Sunday. Heck, some other people could show up too. I don't have any sort of plot, but I've been running a RL campaign at about this level and have tons of encounters drawn up.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 244