Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300128 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: Back to being on lame maybe-hiatus and stuff
« Reply #2850 on: November 13, 2011, 08:19:47 pm »

So if I hired Ethan to make an amulet that causes Mage Armor to be active in wolf form, it would cost 6,000 gp?

Wait, could Ethan even make an item that uses an arcane spell?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: November 13, 2011, 09:07:28 pm »

If there's an arcane caster with said spell able to cast it for me.

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: November 13, 2011, 09:46:09 pm »

If there's an arcane caster with said spell able to cast it for me.

You called?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: November 13, 2011, 09:46:42 pm »

Or I could, too.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: November 13, 2011, 11:27:10 pm »

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get Divine Power on an item at least once per day? It gives a +6 enhancement bonus to strength as well as giving you full BAB for the duration, so needless to say, Maelrigar would profit from it immensely. Also with that, I could replace Fist of Stone with some other spell when I level up, considering all it is is a self-only +6 enhancement bonus.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: November 14, 2011, 03:26:40 am »

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get Divine Power on an item at least once per day? It gives a +6 enhancement bonus to strength as well as giving you full BAB for the duration, so needless to say, Maelrigar would profit from it immensely. Also with that, I could replace Fist of Stone with some other spell when I level up, considering all it is is a self-only +6 enhancement bonus.
It is pretty easy to figure out.
 Lets assume command word activation:
 1800*4*7=50400
 one charge per day:
 50400/(5/1)=10080
 Then you would have to sort out slots. D.M. consultation would be required, but Robe(body((no mundane AC))), shirt(torso), bracers(arms), gauntlets(hands), and belt(waist) seem like possibilities for a cheap slot.
 expensive slots would multiply the cost be 1.5 while no slot would make that 2...
 And if you can get someone to make it for you then that would cost less, the going rate seems to be .75...
 Then there is the issue of caster level and metamagic feats, extend is the only obvious choice for metamagic, which would up the spell level to 5 and the minimum caster-level to 9. higher caster-levels are worth one round and one temporary hit point each...

What I was thinking of was some article of clothing that grants an armor bonus to AC when transformed, sort of like Mage Armor. Add to that an item that makes Lucus' bite attack have a +something enhancement bonus, and it'd be like a human fighting with scale armor and a longsword.

Anybody have any thoughts on how I could make my guy somewhat viable in combat? I can't think of that many ways aside from magic items and layering tons of buffs on. Not very many feats seem suitable for a wolf, because most combat feats are oriented towards using specific weapons. I'm hoping I'm missing something here...
Bracers of armour(or armour with the wild enchantment, but that would require D.M. approval and would mess with spell-casting...) and an amulet of mighty fists would help with that...
The buffs are basically what you want to be looking at. There are some feats that let arcane casters spend spells to deal more melee damage and things like that. The basic problem is that you have lost spell-levels, there is a feat to help with losing caster-levels, but you will never have the top-of-the-line spells that a pure wizard of your effective level would. Basically you cannot be a normal spell-slinging, incinerate-my-enemies-and-rend-them-to-ash sort of caster, but you should be able to muster something along the lines of a magically augmented fighter with a few offensive spells for emergencies. Look over Maelrigar's spell list for a start...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: November 14, 2011, 08:38:35 am »

Good combat spells: Fist of Stone, Bladeweave, Whirling Blade, Wraithstrike. Dolorous Blow if you can get it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: November 14, 2011, 07:46:47 pm »

True strike can work well quickened and/or with two-handed power attack.
Shield is good for AC when not using a shield.
Mage armour is good for AC when you are not wearing armour.
Colour Spray is handy as a close-range offensive spell.
Ray of enfeeblement has no save and 'may' work on critters that are immune to ability damage.
Elarge person is useful for gaining reach and damage, while reduce person is nice if you are using ray spells...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: November 14, 2011, 10:15:11 pm »

Thanks for the advice! A chunk of it wouldn't apply to Lucus, though. I'm not so much worried about casting, I'm more focused on getting him combat capable. Like you said, RAM, sort of a fighter with as much spellcasting as I can reasonably get. Would you happen to recall the name of that feat that dulls the sting of losing caster levels? I would like to take that very much at the next possible opportunity.

And Barbarossa, I don't know if most of those spells would work with my guy. Don't all of them except Fist of Stone require melee weapons?

And, uh, this may be ridiculously overpowered or something, but I'd just like to see if it'd fly with Shoruke: would it be viable to have a homebrewed feat that lets wizards have a BAB of .75 per level? It would basically turn Lucus into an arcane druid, as odd as that may sound. I mean, he's already crippled spellcasting-wise far beyond what any spellcasting class would be, and he fights entirely in an animal form (which acts as a less versatile wild-shape ability). The change in BAB would put him on par with a druid or bard.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: November 15, 2011, 12:05:10 am »

I don't think any of them specify that the weapon can't be natural, save for Whirling Blade, which requires a sword to hurl. As for the 3/4ths BAB, that's a feature of Battle Sorcerer, and it was balanced with losing spell slots. You'll probably have to give up more than a feat to get that.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: November 15, 2011, 12:18:44 am »

You'll probably have to give up more than a feat to get that.

True. What exactly would the other limitation, though? Lose spell slots? Wizards already get fewer spells per day than druids, which is what I was using as a baseline for balance.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:22:44 am by Araph »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: November 15, 2011, 12:26:19 am »

Druids? A baseline for balance?   ???

Druids are not a good baseline for balance. Druids are a good upper limit.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: November 15, 2011, 12:29:30 am »

Oh. Then again, I can't heal or anything; I'm also already set back due to the burden of having to take levels of wolf. That already greatly hampers my spellcasting ability, much more than reduced spell slots ever would.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: November 15, 2011, 12:40:42 am »

True enough. Doesn't the wolf form use a wolf's Base Attack Bonus, though?

Druids are mainly broken because they break the action economy. Animal companion, incredible amounts of summons, and the ability to turn into a dire tortoise and become invincible whenever you want.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: November 15, 2011, 12:46:28 am »

...or they can get Wild armor and take the Natural Spell feat to become an armored, spellcasting bear with legions of summoned monster.

And I don't think shapeshifting gives the wolf's BAB; they have levels of wolf increase the player's BAB by .75 each level, I believe.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 244