Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300150 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5- Western Marches (on (temporary?) hiatus)
« Reply #2790 on: October 24, 2011, 10:42:19 pm »

When you shapeshift, you keep your int, wis, and cha scores. Only str, con, and dex change.

Edit: Or are you talking about Spellbears?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:47:09 pm by Araph »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: October 25, 2011, 12:14:44 am »

Spellbears, and I do not believe that lycanthropes are capable of being animals or magical beasts...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: October 25, 2011, 11:25:30 am »

Why would lycanthropes not be animals? That's sort of the point of lycanthropy...

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: October 25, 2011, 06:28:37 pm »

The spellsword PrC is fine to use. Looks pretty cool, actually. (Imagine a Paladin that had this in an undead-heavy campaign. Holy Smite Smite!)

I'll approve the template classes, because the bookkeeping is a lot easier than with normal lycanthropy, and because the outrageous benefits are reasonably balanced by the lack of HD, BAB, skills, saves, attributes, and feats. Basically, LA is a bitch, and that is a *lot* of LA. Two separate class progressions to gain this schist? That takes dedication, man. If you make this work, you should host seminars on how to give up drugs or something.

The reason Natural Spell is banned is because it allows you to trade in a feat for the ability to play as an LA+0 bear with full spellcasting progression. Taking Silent and Still Spell is a bit better, since it costs more feats (obviously) and raises the spellcasting requirement (by +2 in most cases, ouch).
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: October 25, 2011, 08:38:33 pm »

Why would lycanthropes not be animals? That's sort of the point of lycanthropy...
It is a matter of creature types.

Quote from: S.R.D.
"Lycanthrope" is a template that can be added to any humanoid or giant
The base creature’s type does not change, but the creature gains the shapechanger subtype. The lycanthrope takes on the characteristics of some type of carnivorous or omnivorous creature of the animal type
Interestingly, they do have animal hit dice, but otherwise they are just a humanoid- or giant- -shapechanger with a few abilities, one of which is changing their appearance into one that is indiscernible from that of an animal. It doesn't generally matter, but rangers trained to hunt animals, or weapons enchanted to harm animals don't get anything from lycanthropes, even if they are a fluffy bunny at the time...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: October 25, 2011, 08:40:45 pm »

Two separate class progressions to gain this schist? That takes dedication, man. If you make this work, you should host seminars on how to give up drugs or something.

Oh, come on. I mean, how bad could it be?

The reason Natural Spell is banned is because it allows you to trade in a feat for the ability to play as an LA+0 bear with full spellcasting progression. Taking Silent and Still Spell is a bit better, since it costs more feats (obviously) and raises the spellcasting requirement (by +2 in most cases, ouch).

Goodie! Eventually, I'll be able to play a spellcasting dire wolf with 10 DR / silver and 5 natural armor, plus -- wait a sec. Shoruke, can I buy custom wolf armor from a armorsmith in a city? Because that would be so awesome.

It is a matter of creature types.

"Lycanthrope" is a template that can be added to any humanoid or giant
The base creature’s type does not change, but the creature gains the shapechanger subtype. The lycanthrope takes on the characteristics of some type of carnivorous or omnivorous creature of the animal type
Interestingly, they do have animal hit dice, but otherwise they are just a humanoid- or giant- -shapechanger with a few abilities, one of which is changing their appearance into one that is indiscernible from that of an animal. It doesn't generally matter, but rangers trained to hunt animals, or weapons enchanted to harm animals don't get anything from lycanthropes, even if they are a fluffy bunny at the time...

Oh, I see. My bad! I didn't realize the creature type didn't change.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: October 25, 2011, 08:49:49 pm »

Goodie! Eventually, I'll be able to play a spellcasting dire wolf with 10 DR / silver and 5 natural armor, plus -- wait a sec. Shoruke, can I buy custom wolf armor from a armorsmith in a city? Because that would be so awesome.

You realize that to do that you'd need 5 levels be a dire wolf (has 5 HD), 1 level for the LA, and 1 level for your class? You'd be level 1 at ECL 7. I'd go with a normal wolf for a spellcasting wolf. And yes you can buy custom armor. It costs twice as much, but it comes lined with pure awesome.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: October 25, 2011, 08:53:05 pm »

Can we have insectivorous lycanthropes? I figure that because lycanthropy is basically some magic hocus-pocus designed to scare people, and because insects are icky-bad, that eating them doesn't count as scary. On the other-hand, if you put a chuck of human flesh in front of one, it would probably eat it, but their usual diet doesn't look like human flesh, meh...

P.S.
 You could probably convince the D.M. to give all of their shape-changing monsters wild-enchanted armour even if the ability that they are using is not, technically "wild shape"...

P.S.P.S.
 Wild armour continues to work normally even if the druid that is wearing it uses wild shape to transform itself from an ettin into a bat...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:00:47 pm by RAM »
Read the First Post!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: October 25, 2011, 09:41:20 pm »

Hmmm...

Eh-HMMMMMMmmmm...

So to be clear: I can get armor custom made for a wolf for 2x the cost of normal armor, since wolfs are non-humanoid medium sized creatures. Once I'm rich enough, I can buy wild-enchanted armor that will still give bonuses in other forms without needing to be custom. That's assuming wild armor is fine by Shoruke, which I assume it is.

You realize that to do that you'd need 5 levels be a dire wolf (has 5 HD), 1 level for the LA, and 1 level for your class? You'd be level 1 at ECL 7. I'd go with a normal wolf for a spellcasting wolf. And yes you can buy custom armor. It costs twice as much, but it comes lined with pure awesome.
Actually, it's worse. Dire wolves have 6 levels in the template class thingy, and there are 3 LA levels. Of course, each level comes with obscene bonuses, so there is that.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:15:47 pm by Araph »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: October 26, 2011, 06:26:56 pm »

So to be clear: I can get armor custom made for a wolf for 2x the cost of normal armor, since wolfs are non-humanoid medium sized creatures. Once I'm rich enough, I can buy wild-enchanted armor that will still give bonuses in other forms without needing to be custom.
I seem to recall Pheron running into a set of normal-shaped magical armor, which, being magical, happened to reshape itself to fit...

Hmm... Smells like gouda.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: October 26, 2011, 07:09:19 pm »

Gouda?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: October 26, 2011, 08:38:17 pm »

Cheese is a common analogy to things-that-increase-a-character's-abilities-more-than-they-probably-ought-to.

There is a passage in the D.M.G. that states that magical weapons and armour resize to fit the wearer. It is there so that small-sized characters living in a medium-sized world will get to use the loot that they find. Otherwise you would need to factor size into the random loot rolls and you could find a +1 flaming, shocking, frost, +4 strength composite longbow but it is the wrong size for the ranger so they don't use it...
Read the First Post!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: October 27, 2011, 02:53:30 pm »

So to be clear: I can get armor custom made for a wolf for 2x the cost of normal armor, since wolfs are non-humanoid medium sized creatures. Once I'm rich enough, I can buy wild-enchanted armor that will still give bonuses in other forms without needing to be custom.
I seem to recall Pheron running into a set of normal-shaped magical armor, which, being magical, happened to reshape itself to fit...

Hmm... Smells like gouda.

Pheron was humanoid. "Leg and arm joints are in odd places so found armor and clothing will hinder movement" was the exact phrasing regarding that. Otherwise he was effectively human.

For the 2x cost, I'm pretty sure it is just 2x cost to the construction of the base material, not enchantment costs. I might be wrong though.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: October 27, 2011, 10:04:23 pm »

Would anyone happen to know when the date of the next session is?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: October 29, 2011, 10:30:19 pm »

indeterminate future.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 244