Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 299682 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (session Sat Oct 23) (always recruiting)
« Reply #255 on: October 18, 2010, 07:27:40 pm »

I'm fine with the session moving to Sunday, in fact I far prefer it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (session Sun Oct 24) (always recruiting)
« Reply #256 on: October 18, 2010, 11:37:12 pm »

I thought it was one for each trait

Uh, no... Traits are internally balanced, and allow you to take a penalty in something you usually don't use, for a slightly smaller benefit to something you'll likely use all the time; for instance, taking -2 on diplomacy checks to get +1 on bluff. Flaws are purely negative, and impact you negatively more than a similar feat would aid you; for instance, the Improved Initiative feat gives you +4 on initiative, but the relevant Unreactive flaw gives you -6. The benefit to taking a flaw is one feat.

You may have two traits and one flaw; they are found here and here respectively.

Silent Shoes are in the Arms and Equipment manual. It sells for 10g and gives a +1 to Move Silently.

P.S. I will be about 1-1 and a half hours late for Sunday, how long should this session be?

The shoes are fine, as long as the bonus given is a competence bonus. As for the session length, the last one was five hours and that was one lap around the tomb, they didn't even get to the boss, so I'd say four, maybe five hours or so. You'll probably pop in mid-combat.

Is there a slot for me in this game? Sundays are fine for me.

Of course we've got a slot for you, we've got so many slots it's... a bigger number than... you would typically think that there was a number of slots of of something. Yeah...
(duplicated word on porpoise)

I'm fine with the session moving to Sunday, in fact I far prefer it.

Cool!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:30:42 am by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 19, 2010, 07:03:03 am »

Sunday is an absolute impossibility for me.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 20, 2010, 01:50:44 am »

Shoruke, how do you feel about the Raptoran race in Races of the Wild?

They're pretty much what the name implies.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2010, 05:56:51 am »

Talons aren't really designed for casting spells or wielding weapons, are you certain that they are what they sound like?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 20, 2010, 06:47:58 am »

Are you certain what race you're talking about?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2010, 08:08:41 am »

Raptorans are raptors as in birds, not raptors as in velociraptors, right?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 20, 2010, 08:21:45 am »

Yes, Raptors as in predatory birds, as in massive talons meant to tear into small furry things and carry them away. Also the used to refer to some dinosaurs after it was deemed that they were similar to said birds.

I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 20, 2010, 08:36:50 am »

You really should learn how Google works, or at least look something up before commentating on it.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 20, 2010, 01:39:10 pm »

Shoruke, how do you feel about the Raptoran race in Races of the Wild?

They're pretty much what the name implies.

Comparing Raptorans to humans... I think that trading in one feat and a skill point per level for flight, plus some other bonuses, is rather unbalanced. Sorry, no to that race.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 20, 2010, 02:40:35 pm »

Well, it's not full flight at level 1. It's effectively Feather Fall until level 5, when the ability to use heavily limited flight comes in. Casters get better sources of flight at this time. Especially Druids.

Full flight comes at level 10, and Casters have already beat it in both speed and control.

As for the other bonuses, the Skills bonuses are largely made irrelevant with the limited flight, +1 caster level to what comes to at most 8-9 different spells from the Druid or Cleric list is meh, and the Weapon Familiarity and Unerring Direction things are entirely fluff. Aside from gimped flight, Low-Light vision is the only attractive thing for my planned char (Starting with Warblade).

If you aren't convinced, I'll just roll up a Halfling Ray-Based Wizard.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 20, 2010, 04:15:37 pm »

I don't need to look it up, I know what a raptor is and therefore know what the name implies.
Read the First Post!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 20, 2010, 05:18:32 pm »

The bit that makes me call shenanigans is that you can fly for absolutely free. You don't need to spend a turn to cast the spell or anything, just move forward and bam... 17 feet above the ground. Immune to melee. And you can stay out of reach for several hours without even fatiguing yourself.

Also, the direction thing actually might have come in handy a few times in this campaign... but I probably wouldn't veto anything based on it.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 20, 2010, 05:35:46 pm »

Out of reach forever, at level 10, and only when space allows. And not against ranged attackers or casters without going a long way away from the battlefield, which would likely take so many actions as to be pointless. Not to mention the loss of cover from being above the crowd. And with, at most, medium armour.

Besides, whoop, I'm eventually out of reach of melee. For what's going to be a Melee build, that's really a bad thing, especially since I won't be able to hover, so will need to make constant big loops of the fight in order to stay airborne, and won't be able to change direction quickly.

The flight is really useless in combat until we are actually fighting flying creatures ourselves.

It's best uses would be for either rapid long-distance message delivery (Starting short distance until lv5, where it goes to medium-range, then lv10), overland travel in general away from the party, finding other floating islands, and oh-god-we're-screwed-let's-get-out-of-here moments.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 20, 2010, 06:14:05 pm »

Out of reach forever, at level 10, and only when space allows. And not against ranged attackers or casters without going a long way away from the battlefield, which would likely take so many actions as to be pointless. Not to mention the loss of cover from being above the crowd. And with, at most, medium armour.

Besides, whoop, I'm eventually out of reach of melee. For what's going to be a Melee build, that's really a bad thing, especially since I won't be able to hover, so will need to make constant big loops of the fight in order to stay airborne, and won't be able to change direction quickly.

Well, you can only take fly actions for 10 minutes per day at level 5. Since you can glide between rounds of flying, and you can go 17 feet upwards per round of flying, you can get 3 rounds per gliding per round of flying you do. So, roughly 40 minutes of being out of reach. But if you're going to be playing a melee build... why would you pick a race whose sole refining feature is flight? For overland travel?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 244