Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 299825 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches and then some
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 08:11:50 pm »

And I looked up the 1HD thing... Just build the character normally, only your level 1 Hit Die is going to be based on your race, not your class.

This will effect everyone. Humans are a 1-HD race, as are Dwarves, Elves, all of the core PC races. That sole HD is replaced by their first class level HD.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 08:25:47 pm »

Humanoid HD is d8 so first level HP is the same as my class level anyway
Hooray Pointless!!

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=240581
There's my character, built on the principle that some day I will be able to swing a Flaming-Hammer-of-Flaming-Fire
I'll come up with a badass origin story for him in the morning or something, I hope everything's kosher.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 10:49:47 pm »

Right, someone find me the place where it says the base races have 1 racial hit die, quote it, and cite your source. I can't find where it says that. As far as I can tell, races default to having 0 racial HD, and the HD you DO have come from your class levels.

Robocorn, your character doesn't work as it is. Being level 1, you can only have 2 1st level spells, and you can't have 3 ranks in a cross-class skill (concentration, in this case). However, props to you on staying within your encumbrance limit, I chuckled a little bit when I saw that.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 12:06:55 am »

I can't seem to find a source, but at least on Crystalkeep there are no 1HD races. I assume they just leave off the one, considering there are races of every HD up to eleven and beyond.

However, props to you on staying within your encumbrance limit, I chuckled a little bit when I saw that.
Isn't that a normal thing to do?

I'm working on a character now.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 02:20:27 am »

Humanoid Type

quoting from it

Humanoids with 1 Hit Die exchange the features of their humanoid Hit Die for the class features of a PC or NPC class
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 02:53:37 am »

D.M.G. p172, right column, 4th paragraph:
And the Dungeon Master spake thusly
"If a monster has 1 Hit Die or less , or if it is a template creature (such as a vampire or a lycanthrope; see the Monster Manual), it must start the game with one or more class levels, like a regular character. If a monster has 2 or more Hit Dice, it can start with no class levels (though it can gain them later)."
See also paragraph 9 "Other Statistics for Monsters:" and the 4 following paragraphs.

It isn't really decisive, they really could have helped by making one of the examples a specific 1 HD monster, but the phrase "like a regular character" suggests to me that they follow the normal rules...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:03:39 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 03:27:53 am »

I might be in. Would you willing to accept a wizard with an octopus in a goldfish bowl as his familiar? It's from Stormwrack, stated out, unsuprisingly, as a small octopus and gives +3 to grabble checks. Backstory is that he got into Wizard Schooltm on an athletics scholarship for wrestling. Obviously, I'll be putting more detail into this later on.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 06:12:08 am »

Robocorn, your character doesn't work as it is. Being level 1, you can only have 2 1st level spells, and you can't have 3 ranks in a cross-class skill (concentration, in this case). However, props to you on staying within your encumbrance limit, I chuckled a little bit when I saw that.

Concentration is a class skill for Duskblades,  if it wasn't that would be hilarious in hindsight considering all of the checks you'd need to making while casting spells in the middle of close combat.

The extra spell is a bonus spell from having a high Intelligence score, I thought it might also contribute to spells known. Anywho, I've taken it out.

Anything else that doesn't fit?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 06:22:29 am »

I am interested in the cloistered cleric variant, which looks a bit overpowered to my eyes...
Although factoring in the loss of armour proficiency helps things a little...

I am interested in the grey elf from the monster manual's elf entry, it is just a normal elf with a additional +2 int and -2 str...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 06:28:41 am »

I am interested in the grey elf from the monster manual's elf entry, it is just a normal elf with a additional +2 int and -2 str...
Sure, if you want -2 to Constitution and Strength.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 08:11:19 am »

Well the big one there is constitution, throwing in strength for intelligence, on a caster, it a bit of a no-brainer. If I regret it for any reason other than carrying capacity then the failure is mine, not the race's...
I have a few more things that I might be using, some are a bit awkward...

Deities:
fharlanghn Complete Divine page 111
procan Complete Divine page 123

Domains:
Weather Complete Divine page 141 /Windstorm Spell Compendium page 282
 identical ability, 2nd gust of wind/binding winds, 5th binding winds/arc of lightning
 These are the same domain, just the level of binding winds was revised. Binding winds is on page 153 of the complete divine and page 27 of the spell compendium and should probably be the deciding factor...
celerity cd 137/sc271
inquisition cd 139/sc 275
 Probably not a factor as it is tied to the inquisitor.
oracle cd 140/sc 177

Classes:
divine oracle CD 35
seeker of the misty isle 61
 probably not an issue, I only really want it for a domain that I will already have, just ignor this really, too much hassle to even discuss
church inquisitor 26
 I do not wish to be lawful, or belong to a lawful good organisation, although the latter could be consistent with a throw-away line in a back-story and lawful-neutral isn't quite fatal. Once again I want it because of its silly requirements and the chance to get a domain. Collecting domains is just so much fun! One other thing that attracts me to this class, aside from how cheesed it is against illusion and enchantment, is search as a class skill, which I value quite highly. I would probably take this class if the allignment restrictions were removed and the special abilities were cycled down so that there was one at each level, or if half the abilities were simply removed...
contemplative 31
 It requires contact with the character's deity or a 'direct' servant of said deity. This can prbably be arranged via a lesser planar ally spell...
Thaumaturgist DMG/SRD
 One of its abilities is basically leadership, which you may not want...

P.S.
 Oh, almost forgot, what about flaws/traits? And the other variations too...
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 08:25:00 am »

I think I'm going to go for a melee-capable sorcerer. It'll be totally awesome, don't worry.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 11:06:45 am »

((rushed post due to CMPT 260 class starts in 8 minutes))

Gray elves are fine, but your hit die is going to be based on your class instead of being a racial d8, unless you can find a place that specifically says either "this race has 1 racial HD" or "races which do not have racial HD listed are assumed to have 1 racial HD".

I chuckled at Robocorn's encumbrance because he can carry exactly 76 pounds of stuff without becoming encumbered, and the weight of his stuff currently totals... 76 pounds. However, your sheet says you've spent 18 skill points, you should have... 20. I don't have time to check if that's Mythweavers screwing up the class-skills or what.  As for the extra spell, you get to cast one extra 1st level spell PER DAY because of your int bonus, but you don't add any extra spells to your list because of it. (Wizards do at level 1, but they're quite different... Duskblades deliberately shift some of their focus from magic to melee)

Having a small Octopus in a Goldfish bowl is fine, but you're going to have some serious trouble talking to it or having it deliver your touch attacks. Just saying. But your backstory sounds interesting, I'm looking forward to it  :D

Cloistered Clerics are fine, in fact, I recommend having one if nobody joins as a bard. The Lore feature is going to be downright handy to find treasure-filled ruins and such.

I'll go through RAM's list of stuff he wants when I have a few minutes to check it, sorry for the delay on that but school is important...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:16:55 am by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 12:38:42 pm »

I think I'm going to go for a melee-capable sorcerer. It'll be totally awesome, don't worry.

Check out the Alternate Class Feature on the SRD, gives Sorcerers light armour prof and the ability to cast in it without penalty. You do lose 1 spell per level per day, though.

Anyway, I'm statting up my Halfling Druid, I'll ask about ACFs and such as I encounter them.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010, 04:19:51 pm »

I am thinking something stealthy guy. Been a while since I went stealthy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 244