Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300489 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (game on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #1485 on: May 02, 2011, 08:22:11 pm »

My combat strategy is basically to summon critters and have them do the fighting and I cannot guarantee that a fiendish wolf wouldn't bite a snack off of a helpless opponent and that raven would go for the coup de grace every time...

Given what happened to the necromancer, I think that you are going to have to accept that you will be taking those attack penalties from time to time...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 02, 2011, 10:34:34 pm »

Snack-taking is always allowed, even if they are helpless. I'm not sure but I think that penalties only count for PCs. I'll edit in a conclusion in a while.

So unless you directly command them by speaking to them and telling them to kill the monster you won't suffer the penalty. Only the monster would receive a penalty by acting on its own, but it's not like they stick around.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:58:26 pm by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: May 03, 2011, 12:50:49 am »

About the Vow of Peace cheese (hot damn that is a lot of AC)...
Your AC will only go up to 34, since you don't have a natural armor bonus from Vow of Poverty to improve. (people are assumed to have a natural armor bonus of +0, but this is not from Vow of Poverty). However, you will get that bonus when you hit level 8 and actually get the natural armor bonus. As for shattering peoples' equipment, as long as there is a person using it, the item just uses its owner's save bonus. So your opponents will need to beat your 34 AC and pass a DC 12 (easy) fort save to hit you. Also, bear in mind that your Calming Aura thing is going to affect your teammates, too; in fact, in might affect your allies more often than it affects your enemies. Also, since it's mind affecting, it won't work on vermin (or similar)... which you can't fight, since they are alive. You are officially worse than useless to have in a fight to the death against a lab rat.

As for RAM's summon-KO thing, to prevent loophole abuse, if your summoned creatures break Van's vow for you, they will take the full penalty, and you will take the same penalty with halved duration (since summoning creatures to fight for you is a rather blatant offensive maneuver, but is TECHNICALLY not an instance of "you killing someone").

The biggest problem with these vows is that if you break them, they don't come back, ever. So Van is going to have to do his darnedest to incapacitate you if you try to kill someone he's captured. Also, I'm considering "letting prisoners starve/dehydrate to death" as deliberate infliction of harm. And, if Van starts being too deliberately ignorant, I might just have the in-universe gods show up and give him a warning. ("This is the EIGHTEENTH GODDAMN TIME you have "gone scouting" immediately after incapacitating an enemy, allowing your allies to execute him. Smarten up.")

Finally, I will have the list of everyone who gets story experience for helping Akoth up tomorrow.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: May 03, 2011, 01:16:59 am »

So I have to take prisoners if they could die from staying there? Fair enough I guess, but I hope we don't run into a group of bandits in the forest of grievous harm... Wait does this mean that I have to take EVERYONE that we run into prisoner!? This could be interesting to say the least if we have someone bleeding out because I couldn't deal non-lethal damage fast enough.

The calming aura for the most part won't be too big an issue unless someone wants to kill someone out of anger. We normally fight monsters because they're just plain threatening.

Fights to the death could be a problem if we ever end up in one.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: May 03, 2011, 08:05:23 am »

This is going to unleash hell upon Maelrigar's roleplayability. Challenge Accepted.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 03, 2011, 11:57:37 am »

Just posting my journal.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: May 05, 2011, 01:14:04 am »

Ah hell... Nael isn't into prisoners, this is going to be interesting to be sure.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: May 05, 2011, 02:49:06 am »

I think that prisoners are going to be a rare scenario. If even one is just knocked out and the rest are stable then I could just leave them since that one will be up within an hour or two. The only case I can think of that would require prisoners is if everyone is in the negatives and someone needs to make sure they don't starve. So it should be rare enough to not be too annoying. I hope. I guess we'll see.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 05, 2011, 08:55:30 am »

Seems to me that a Vow of Peace would be more involved than that Fool. With a vow of Peace, I can see prisoners being fairly common, in fact.
It's kind of like agreeing to be Batman. You have to beat up the joker time and time again because your vow prevents killing them.

That will put you in direct opposition to the party wishes quite a bit often. I'm all for it, because it'll only enrich things, but it's gonna be tough for you. Much tougher than the vow of poverty.

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 05, 2011, 09:40:49 am »

In that case I have a few important questions:

1.Should I only capture humanoids terrorizing towns and big bads?
2.Who would help me carry prisoners then? They're heavy.
3.And does the ship have a brig, like most larger ships? If so that is handy.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 05, 2011, 07:43:26 pm »

1: I don't understand the relevance, not all civilised races are humanoid and minions are people too...
2: Can you afford a mule?
3: The closest thing I have seen is the forge, as far as I can tell it doesn't even have rooms. Except for my room, which is mine, and therefore unavailable for use as a brig. Just keep them restrained until you can dump them someplace...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: May 05, 2011, 08:39:57 pm »

I limited it to humanoid for some reason, but I'm up to capturing more I suppose. Somehow I think the VoP will stop me from owning a mule. Though I suppose it could carry other small things for the group, and just be declared the party's mule.

I really hope that there is a way for this to work out because that would make me have crazy AC. I guess I'll have to get Use Rope leveled up then and buy some reusable rope for the 'group'.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 05, 2011, 11:47:41 pm »

Well, Maelrigar can probably carry someone. He'd possibly 'accidentally' pulp them on his weapon-holsters, but they would be transported nonetheless.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: May 06, 2011, 07:17:59 am »

Well that would be non-lethal and they would be unconscious, so I don't think that they'd he 'harmed' or in pain by any means. They'd just have a few more bruises when they wake up.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 06, 2011, 07:36:25 am »

Well that would be non-lethal and they would be unconscious, so I don't think that they'd he 'harmed' or in pain by any means. They'd just have a few more bruises when they wake up.

[smartass]Bruises hurt, though.[/smartass] :P
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 244