Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Patrician IV  (Read 27966 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Patrician IV
« on: September 14, 2010, 07:47:03 pm »

Patrician IV

Has anyone played it?

I'm enjoying it so far.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Re: Patrician IV
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:51:24 pm »

Review said that there doesn't seem to be a lot of end game and grows stale so I'm hesitant to get it. Any more detailed thoughts?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:01:13 pm »

Review said that there doesn't seem to be a lot of end game and grows stale so I'm hesitant to get it. Any more detailed thoughts?
I haven't gotten too far in yet. I do like the trading route system and economy, and it looks like you can get into politics and such.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:05:46 pm »

I think I own it but I am not sure.

It is another one of those highly confusing games where just because you buy something expencive it doesn't mean you are better off (in fact far from it...)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:09:00 pm »

The game just came out. How can you "think" you own it?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:12:03 pm »

I think I own it but I am not sure.

It is another one of those highly confusing games where just because you buy something expencive it doesn't mean you are better off (in fact far from it...)
I think you'd know if you own it as it only recently came out (and is not out yet in some places. I think the steam version drops in 2 days)

As for buying, well you have to buy low and sell high. Right now I have a circuit of 4 cities which I have trade routes set up and move goods between them as the prices rise and fall. The economy is interesting, as cities specialize in goods. Lubeck produces a lot of salt but has no easily accessible game for meat. Aalborg has plenty of meat but needs salt to cure it. Malmo is the only city nearby which can produce wood and bricks in great supply, and is the only city currently producing cheese.

Among these three cities I have two ships running cargo and making a tidy profit.

Another system I like is that you cannot get to the advanced features without building your reputation and rank. Reputation is tracked per city; you gain reputation with a city when you bring in goods it is very short on and you lose reputation if you buy goods that are in short supply. You can only join a city's guild if your reputation is 25% or better and you've reached a certain rank as well.

Rank is determined by how you're doing. The first few ranks only require you to make money and increase your overall wealth. Buildings, ships, goods and cash all contribute to your wealth. After a certain point you must branch out and build some businesses as well to up your rank.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:01:17 pm »

The Skagerrak Salt-Meat-Cheese route is staple, occasionally i send a few ships out to London, Bruge & the one near by to get cloth & wine which after getting a full cargo of i send back to my counting houses to sell for high prices.
Currently I'm expanding into the Oslo Mead & Fish business.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:18:45 pm »

Well the thing is that I own Patrician, I don't know if it is 4. Judging that this recently came out I guess I got patrician 3.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:28:34 pm »

The Skagerrak Salt-Meat-Cheese route is staple, occasionally i send a few ships out to London, Bruge & the one near by to get cloth & wine which after getting a full cargo of i send back to my counting houses to sell for high prices.
Currently I'm expanding into the Oslo Mead & Fish business.
We should make a list of the main trade routes. I noticed one easy way to get reputation in a city is to make it a central hub and have ships stop there after every other stop, so they always sell off anything that is in demand and up your rep. Used that technique to build my rep so I could start spice trading with the Mediterranean

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 09:42:57 pm »

In which ways does it differ from 3? (just asking)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 10:22:13 pm »

In which ways does it differ from 3? (just asking)
I have no idea, I never played 3.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 12:21:07 pm »

In 3, if I recall correctly, the town got really annoyed if you bought up all of a good (because that didn't leave any for the town of course). Is that still the case in this one?

Also, Patrician III had multiplayer, does IV?
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 12:36:36 pm »

Yes, You loose rep when buying all goods.

Manual Naval combat is rather irritating because as soon as you select another ship, the A.I takes over on the previous. And the AI is retarded.
Chain and Grape shots behaves like ball shots which is ridiculous and there does not seem to be any wind direction.
It's a pity that no game since cutthroats from 1999 has made a good naval battle.

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 01:24:05 pm »

I've played a few hours. Very entertaining but doesn't offer more than 3. I even believe it has less functionality. That being said, it's really worth playing.

What I like doing is have a ship go to the 3 eastern cities to collect hides. I'll store them in Lübeck and have some ships running in circles selling it in the Kattegat. I also like making salt in Lübeck and sending it to my meat farms in Alborg.

I haven't played that much yet but I think I might concentrate on clothes in my next game, there seems to be a huge shortage of it.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 02:36:07 pm »

If it's anything like 3, the real money is in manufacturing. I made tons of money making and selling iron goods, since you can make them for like 270 florins instead of paying over 350 for them in cities that produce them. And you can't really run a large business that relies on NPC factories.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4