Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Leaky ceiling  (Read 1295 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Leaky ceiling
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 04:02:15 pm »

Won't water flowing over certain material go down to the next z-level if you have tunneled the z-level under it as well? Conglomerate and something else (puddingstone?) seem to be tickling my mind about this.
I do not think so, though it may be possible.
Test it, for SCIENCE!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 05:51:13 pm »

I've never, ever seen water leak through solid objects. Due to the way solid objects work, such as doors or floodgates, they destroy all liquids in their tile. You cannot have water or magma existing in the same tile as a closed door.

Do you have a dry pond with the surface exposed to the sky? If so, then rain drops that hit the dry pond bottom will turn into 1/7 water per rain drop.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 05:56:19 pm »

Won't water flowing over certain material go down to the next z-level if you have tunneled the z-level under it as well? Conglomerate and something else (puddingstone?) seem to be tickling my mind about this.

Nope, The only time water 'leaks' from the layer above is when that layer is an aquifer:

XXXXXXXXXX <- Aquifer (layer composition does not matter)
XXXXXXXX__  <- Digging here will cause water to leak from above
XXXXXXXXXX

Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 06:19:17 pm »

Nope, The only time water 'leaks' from the layer above is when that layer is an aquifer:

XXXXXXXXXX

That is only true if you breach the aquifer, such as digging a ramp up into the aquifer from below.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 06:47:34 pm »

XXXXXXXXXX

That is only true if you breach the aquifer, such as digging a ramp up into the aquifer from below.

Wrong - digging a tunnel directly beneath an aquifer will cause it to leak.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 06:49:01 pm »

At what kind of rate will this leaking happen?  I almost never play a map that has an aquifer in it after some early flood experiences but I'd like to know.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 06:51:58 pm »

A leaky ceiling directly beneath an aquifer will leak quite rapidly (i.e. about as quickly as water leaking from the side of an aquifer).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 07:16:29 pm »

Ah, so it's not a subtle thing then.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 02:50:23 am »

A leaky ceiling directly beneath an aquifer will leak quite rapidly (i.e. about as quickly as water leaking from the side of an aquifer).
But it's an even greater pain in the ass to plug than a side-leak. You have to construct a wall on the exact location that the water is pouring down onto. The only reliable method I've developed for this is to create a water-drainage tunnel (with a place to dump the water)on the level below the leak, then channel out the tile where the leak is so that all it's water flows into your drainage tunnel.  Now that the main level you're working on is no longer being flooded, you have a chance to construct a wall to plug the roof-leak.  Fortunately you can construct walls over open space or this entire thing would have been a waste of time.

Hmm...I should really write up a "Guide to Aquifers" given the amount of knowledge and techniques I've gained from the map I'm playing on (double aquifer layer through both silt and rock and even into the cavern roof).
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: 1 [2]