Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves won't clean rooms inside surface constructions  (Read 1452 times)

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't clean rooms inside surface constructions
« on: September 14, 2010, 06:28:20 pm »

My current fort has a sizable defensive presence on the surface neccesitated by the terrain. Some battles have occured with in the room that comprise that structure and there has been some blood spiled.

Non of my dwarves seem to have enough pride in the structure to bother cleaning it. It's starting to bug me really as it's a rather impressive fort for something built above ground.

Anyone have a fix or any recomendations?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't clean rooms inside surface constructions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:35:14 pm »

Dwarves see no reason to clean overground structures...they are only interested ina clean underground

Without using external tools, you won´t get the overground structures cleaned.
AFAIK there is a tool which will clean all floor tiles on the map from blood and other fluids...
I´m sure someone will mention its name in  this thread

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 06:40:50 pm »

Dwarves see no reason to clean overground structures...they are only interested ina clean underground

AFAIK there is a tool which will clean all floor tiles on the map from blood and other fluids...

So what you're saying is it's time to seal the hatches and flush out the blood with water?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 06:56:40 pm »

The thing is, water won't wash away blood, it will spread it EVERYWHERE.  If you want to get rid of persistent blood you probably should take a look at the "dfcleanmap" utility included with DFHack.  It only cleans up blood/pus/barf and leaves mud alone.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:00:33 pm »

bleh... thanks...

Wish blood and vomit would "rot" away properly.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:46:12 pm »

bleh... thanks...

Wish blood and vomit would "rot" away properly.
And preferably not while still inside the creature.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:15:45 pm »

Fun DF blood trivia:  Drowning creatures bleed everywhere.  Falling creatures that explode into a dozen pieces do not!  Apparently, their blood gets vaporized on impact, or perhaps it becomes superdense and falls through the floor!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 10:56:48 pm »

Hm. I noticed my dwarves weren't hauling refuse within their aboveground construction. I bet the same code is at work there.

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:58:26 pm »

Outdoors (or more correctly, above ground) will not be cleaned by dwarven labour.  But rain will clean it.  If the rain can reach it.  Part of my fort is above ground, including a well.  The well area often gets bloody and vomity, so I removed the roof over a small area centered around the well.  It eventually, slowly, gets clean.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 10:58:51 pm »

Hm. I noticed my dwarves weren't hauling refuse within their aboveground construction. I bet the same code is at work there.
No, there's an option in the {o}rders - {r}efuse screen that's set to ignore outside refuse by default.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 11:13:40 pm »

No, there's an option in the {o}rders - {r}efuse screen that's set to ignore outside refuse by default.

Yeah, but it's not outside. It's inside aboveground instead of inside underground.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 11:30:29 pm »

Fun DF blood trivia:  Drowning creatures bleed everywhere.

That's news to me - I've drowned hundreds of goblins and trolls in Shadelabors, and they didn't leave any blood.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 12:14:20 am »

Mine leave huge floods of blood, barf and pus, I dunno what might be different.  I'm sure they were unwounded too, they were captured without combat in cage traps and then released via lever before drowning.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 12:26:12 am »

So what you're saying is it's time to seal the hatches and flush out the blood with water?
If 'sealing the hatches' as it were is actually practical, magma will successfully clean the contaminants without spreading them everywhere like water.  It's just usually a rather large project to get the above-ground (well, 'light') portion of the fort seal-able, get the magma to it, and have a drainage system to get the magma out, and have it all be setup to be reused whenever the bloody mess gets too great.

You can also build on top of the bloody tiles - dirt roads work well for this, but just about anything will do.  All a matter of which 'solution' is the least of a pita to implement.

And my drowning victims (usually accidental, rather than intentional) are usually bloodless, too.  The area gets very bloody if there's combat while the creature is in the water - either combat at the shoreline knocking people into the water, or archers wounding the drowning group.  But for straight drowning, it's usually completely clean in my experience.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:27:57 am by Valkyrie »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 07:26:22 am »

Yeah, but it's not outside. It's inside aboveground instead of inside underground.

Dwarves cosider "Above Ground" to mean "Outside" for all intents and purposes. The actual inside/outside distinction only matters for whether trees will grow there, assuming they can. Otherwise, "outside" means above ground.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2