Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No marks dwarves?  (Read 1786 times)

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No marks dwarves?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 03:42:33 pm »

There's a bug in DF 0.31.12 (and older in 0.31.x) that dwarves cannot get BOLTS from bins. So set your ammo stockpiles to have a max of 0 bins, and dump all the bolts in them if you need the bolts (then reclaim them after dumping). (Note: This bug is PROBABLY present in the new 0.31.13 release, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to test it to find out.)

I am not sure if dwarves are actually managing to get other equipment out of bins, as I haven't watched them closely enough to see if they can pull armor that is stored in bins out and use it.

Don't forget to unforbid shot bolts when there's no enemies about. That will allow dwarves to collect and (re)use them as well.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Nigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Project Nutshot
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 07:30:05 pm »

There's a bug in DF 0.31.12 (and older in 0.31.x) that dwarves cannot get BOLTS from bins. So set your ammo stockpiles to have a max of 0 bins, and dump all the bolts in them if you need the bolts (then reclaim them after dumping). (Note: This bug is PROBABLY present in the new 0.31.13 release, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to test it to find out.)

I find it much easier to have my ammo bin pile and then just a smaller leech pile that takes from the bigger one with bins turned off, so you can still store tons of them without taking up massive space.
Project Nutshot
I dont use MSN and such, just add me on Steam

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 10:56:24 pm »

In 31.12, my marksdwarves have been able to get bolts out of bins just fine.  I know it was a problem in earlier 31.x releases (I'd personally experimented in one version, though I forget which), but in .12 I've had no issue with binned bolts being successfully picked up and used.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 09:39:41 am »

The problem might be that ammunition is assigned now, so dwarfs can't pick up any stack.  My guess is that the ammo in the bin isn't usable because it's been assigned to a different squad, or hunters.  Need to do more testing.

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 03:29:03 pm »

I personally use 3 designations on the ammo screen (m,f):

Wood (1,000) for Training
Bones (1,000) for Training
Metal (1,000) for Combat

It worked out splendidly when the goblins sieged my fort last night. I was shooting wood/bone bolts at them since I hadn't changed the designation to as seen above yet. They were bouncing harmlessly off them (wearing copper and iron armor).

I switched to steel bolts and... well.. there was SOOO much blood that it'll take years of rainfall to clean it all up.  :D
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - The Call of Cthulhu

Nigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Project Nutshot
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 05:12:49 pm »

So the ammo assignment is fixed?
Project Nutshot
I dont use MSN and such, just add me on Steam

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 06:10:45 pm »

I have NEVER seen a crossbow using dwarf in 12 take bolts from any bins. Only bolts by themselves. That's hunters and marksmen both.

Nigma, you solution with the two stockpiles, one with bins, the other taking from it and not allowed bins, is excellent. I'll be sure to implement that system the next time I need serious bolt storage.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

JibberJabber

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 07:08:25 pm »

Okay  I have an update, everyone is practicing with their archery now, but they still aren't marksdwarves. =( How can I make it so that they only use corssbows?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 07:10:52 pm »

They just haven't gotten enough skill.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 08:32:16 pm »

I've had marksdwarves get bolts out of bins no problem.

The only problem i've really had with them is they're useless outide of being in large groups, and in large groups they're too busy giving Demonstration Demonstrations to do any archery practice.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 09:46:31 pm »

Okay  I have an update, everyone is practicing with their archery now, but they still aren't marksdwarves. =( How can I make it so that they only use corssbows?
This implies you're trusting dwarves to pick a ranged weapon of their individual preference. Change that in the equipment sectino of the military screen: force them to only get crossbows.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 [2]