Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No marks dwarves?  (Read 1796 times)

JibberJabber

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No marks dwarves?
« on: September 14, 2010, 04:40:41 pm »

I'm trying to setup my military with all marks-dwarves. Even though I assign the uniforms to be metal armour and crossbows everyone's either a wrestler, hammer dwarf or a swords dwarf. How can I fix this?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No marks dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 05:06:52 pm »

By assigning ammunition to your marksdwarves as well as giving them a shooting range to train

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 05:21:22 pm »

Make sure that you have crossbows for them to equip, a militia captain, and a militia commander.

Have archery targets created (b,A) and ensure that "T" is pressed for training.

Build Crossbows at a Bower or make them with a Forge out of metal. Build Crossbow bolts out of Bone or Wood at the Craftdwarf's Workshop.

Schedule them to be training at 1/2 squad size (so if you have 4, make sure that at least 2 are training every month). Sometimes they will only train in their off-time due to a bug.

Be sure to also assign ammunition to them, and set the ammo value to something high (instead of 100 default, set it to 1,000 or something)

It takes awhile for them to transition from "Wrestler, Macedwarf, etc" into a Marksdwarf. The more the practice with that weapon, the more they will become that weapon wielder type.

I have the following as my uniforms:

Steel Breastplate
Steel Mail Shirt
Steel Chain Leggings
Steel Helm
Steel Gauntlets
Steel High Boots
Steel Greaves
Cloak
Trousers
Sock
Metal Buckler
Indiv choice melee
Crossbow

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - The Call of Cthulhu

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 06:40:14 pm »

Steel Chain Leggings
Steel Greaves

I'm pretty sure this is pointless - leggings and greaves are mutually exclusive, so you can only wear one at a time, even in Adventurer mode.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

JibberJabber

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:05:48 pm »

I already ammo crossbows commanders quivers and all necessary equipment for my military, no one except my commander trains with their crossbow at range other than my commander. Someone mentioned a bug, may someone else please go into specifics?

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 07:25:08 pm »

Steel Chain Leggings
Steel Greaves

I'm pretty sure this is pointless - leggings and greaves are mutually exclusive, so you can only wear one at a time, even in Adventurer mode.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Armor

According to that it's not so.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 07:26:26 pm »

I already ammo crossbows commanders quivers and all necessary equipment for my military, no one except my commander trains with their crossbow at range other than my commander. Someone mentioned a bug, may someone else please go into specifics?

Does each archery target have its own target range
or did you make a single archery range that encompasses all archery targets?
(if it is the latter, thatīs where you have the problem...
each archery range is only suited to be used by a single dwarf,
no matter how big it is and how many targets it contains)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 07:51:17 pm »

I heard that Dorfs will pick up ARROWS instead of BOLTS if given the chance. WHICH IS VERY BAD!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:25:53 pm »

I currently have a problem with 1 or 2 of my marksdwarves never picking up a weapon, or carrying an empty quiver, or no quiver.
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 10:52:15 pm »

I heard that Dorfs will pick up ARROWS instead of BOLTS if given the chance. WHICH IS VERY BAD!

AFAIK only if you mix bowdwarves and CB dwarves within the same unit

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 12:32:09 am »

Steel Chain Leggings
Steel Greaves

From that page:
Code: [Select]
Leggings[S] 1+ 5 Leather Leather Leather Chain 15 30 Armor 100% MAX
Greaves[S] 3 6 Plate Plate 15 30 Armor 100% MAX

* [S] = shaped item, max one [S] per body slot (e.g. plate mail cannot be worn with leather armor, but can be worn with chain mail, and greaves and leggings cannot be combined).
Which seems to agree with Quietust

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 01:59:29 pm »

Steel Chain Leggings
Steel Greaves

From that page:

* [S] = shaped item, max one [S] per body slot (e.g. plate mail cannot be worn with leather armor, but can be worn with chain mail, and greaves and leggings cannot be combined).
Interesting, there was another thread around here somewhere that mentioned having both was a good idea. It's funny, because when I check my dwarves, they both have the little icon next to greaves AND leggings, which I thought meant that they were wearing both.

If I don't have to have both, then cool.. less steel to making both and more to making weapons. :D

Also, given the above chart, they should be wearing greaves and not leggings?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:12:30 pm by SpawnoChaos »
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - The Call of Cthulhu

telarin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 02:05:06 pm »

The checkmark on the equipment screen means they have been ASSIGNED both, it doesn't necessarily mean they are wearing them. You have to check the individual dwarves inventory to see what they have actually picked up and equipped.

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 02:13:09 pm »

The checkmark on the equipment screen means they have been ASSIGNED both, it doesn't necessarily mean they are wearing them. You have to check the individual dwarves inventory to see what they have actually picked up and equipped.

Ah, I see. In that case I should remove the leggings since the greaves are better.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 03:05:02 pm »

Steel Chain Leggings
Steel Greaves

From that page:

Oh, true enough. I confused trouser assignment with leggings. Still it's worth noting you can wear leather trousers under plate since trousers are clothes and not armor.
Pages: [1] 2