Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want to get into modding........  (Read 745 times)

Uratashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Want to get into modding........
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:34:28 pm »

I would love to learn how to mod but I have no idea where to start. Is there any comprehensive guides?

One question I have is, how would I go about making a creature's attack stronger?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Want to get into modding........
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:37:36 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28829.0 - a pinned thread. It's always good to look into something which is done to see how is it done.

Check that thread for Shaostoul's modding guide.
Post your questions in the Modding Workshop thread.

And wiki is your friend:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Modding

One question I have is, how would I go about making a creature's attack stronger?
It's not as easy as in previous versions.

The creature 'attack' is mainly decided by its size, and only then by strength and skill. So basically the bigger the enemy, the stronger is attack.

But also don't forget that materials of the striking parts matter a lot too. So if a creature is scratching you with common nails, a clothing can protect you. However if you replace the nail material with steel, even steel-clawed cats will be able to damage clothed men.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:40:14 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 03:45:07 pm »

There's also the issue of contact area, penetration size (for edged attacks) and velocity modifier (which none of the vanilla creatures appear to have set). The attacks in vanilla DF are rather simplistic in this regard, but it isn't hard to produce different effects by playing around with the values.

Uratashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:53:52 pm »

It's not as easy as in previous versions.

Ah, but I'm using a previous version, I think it's called 40d or something?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 03:58:00 pm »

Why would you play 40d? Almost nothing in .31 modding-wise is relevant to it, and you're missing out on a ton of new stuff for relatively few reasons.

Making an attack stronger in 40d is as simple as changing the min and max damage values in the attack line, and/or the creature's size.

Uratashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 04:01:06 pm »

Why would you play 40d? Almost nothing in .31 modding-wise is relevant to it, and you're missing out on a ton of new stuff for relatively few reasons.

Please see my tantrums thread... Maybe you can help me.

Uratashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:49:04 pm »

Okay! I have 2010. Now, If I make a dog, say... Size 15, would that affect anything other than attack? Like, would there be any downsides to this?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 10:02:18 pm »

The size definitions have changed. 15 would be a pathetically small creature (for reference, human are approx. 70000 size).

Size also affects how tough an animal is, and how quickly it bleeds out (I think).
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Uratashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:06:54 pm »

Erm, okay. Right, it's in cubic cm isn't it... I read that, but I forgot. Okay, let's say I make a dog the size of an elephant. Would much be changed other than how it performs in combat?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 11:24:34 pm »

Erm, okay. Right, it's in cubic cm isn't it... I read that, but I forgot. Okay, let's say I make a dog the size of an elephant. Would much be changed other than how it performs in combat?

It'd give more meat and organ stuff too. Pressure plates would trigger differently.

And for an unrelated case, changing the size of civilized creatures changes whether they can wear clothes and armor made by other races.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Uratashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 11:43:49 pm »

Okay, so nothing much would be changed...

Pressure plates don't trigger for domestic animals, do they?

EDIT Nope.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:35:48 am by Uratashi »