Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is sobriety death?  (Read 2295 times)

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is sobriety death?
« on: September 14, 2010, 02:16:27 pm »

I have an idea for a custom challenge, but I'd like to know what exactly happens to sober dwarves. Do they keep getting slower infinitely, or does it stop at some point? Will they get enough bad thoughts to all go insane?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is sobriety death?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 02:23:53 pm »

they end up idleing almost non-stop, and it gets very easy to make them tantrum.
Nom nom nom

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:36:23 pm »

they end up idleing almost non-stop, and it gets very easy to make them tantrum.
How long does it take before they're unusable? And more importantly, migrants come all liquored up, don't they?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 02:37:27 pm »

they do, but they only have to drink water (if muddied) once, (or if from a well, 3 times in my experience) to become mad, and for them to grind to a halt takes about a year.
Nom nom nom

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 02:40:01 pm »

they do, but they only have to drink water (if muddied) once, (or if from a well, 3 times in my experience) to become mad, and for them to grind to a halt takes about a year.
So assuming that migrants keep refilling my stock of useful dwarves, there would be a few years of gameplay before so many has died that migrants stop coming? If so, I think I can manage a project in a sober fortress.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 03:44:00 pm »

Your dwarves can survive just fine without booze. It takes a long time for them to do things, but they won't just randomly die. I can back this up with the fact that I usually forget to booze up my dwarves, and they only die when I either do something stupid or forget to close the gates.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:07:50 pm »

my theory is that if dwarves dont drink booze they get drunk. pretty sad
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 04:11:35 am »

A sober dwarf is quite likely to look himself in the mirror and shave off his beard and take a bath, and while doing so, might contemplate the realities of the wholescale destruction of the local environment he and his race engage in gleefully.

Hence, a sober dwarf is an elf.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 05:39:36 am »

my theory is that if dwarves dont drink booze they get drunk. pretty sad
Dwarves are like Bender from Futurama? :P

So assuming that migrants keep refilling my stock of useful dwarves, there would be a few years of gameplay before so many has died that migrants stop coming? If so, I think I can manage a project in a sober fortress.
Most of what kilakan's saying is bollocks. Your dwarves will be perfectly fine without alcohol. Since your dwarves drink approximately once every 15-20 days, you'd be totally fucked if they got upset after drinking from a well three times, because you wouldn't be getting migrants anywhere near often enough to compensate for your dwarves dying off all of about a month and a half after arriving at the fort, and there are lots of players who can testify to having successfully run sober forts (permanent or temporary, intentional or otherwise :P). The dwarves'll do things slower, but they won't die or come to a complete standstill or anything and you'd have to be doing a pretty shit job of keeping them happy for them to get mad and kick off a tantrum spiral because they drank from a well. Make multiple wells so the dwarves don't complain about the lack of wells (technically the lack of free space at existing wells) which will create a negative thought, and so they don't piss off to drink from a murky pool or something (which would create another negative thought). The dwarves also won't have the opportunity to get happy thoughts from drinking their favourite booze, so you may want to counter-act that by making them walk through a mist generator on their way to the food stockpile or something.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:41:31 am by pushy »
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 07:50:24 am »

So, gentlemen, who's up for a little dwarven science?
mod the raws so all the water in the world is now alchohol. Start fort near a river or the ocean. See what happens - do the dwarves get negative thoughts still? Are they too punch-drunk to give a damn?

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:13:04 am »

So, gentlemen, who's up for a little dwarven science?
mod the raws so all the water in the world is now alchohol. Start fort near a river or the ocean. See what happens - do the dwarves get negative thoughts still? Are they too punch-drunk to give a damn?
That's impossible to do if I remember correctly.

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 08:28:55 am »

My personal theory is that dwarves get, rather than sober, knurd.  In other words, they actually require a few drinks just to stay sober.  If they don't get them, they start to see reality as it actually is, and that is a terrible thing for any sentient creature.

Thus, they become depressed, and since many Dwarves follow the ancient motto of, "Don't get sad, kill your friends and loved ones," it follows that everybody will die as a result of this.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 08:33:41 am »

A dwarf is never really drunk, just inebriated, probably via a Dwarven Wine IV drip discretely hidden under the beard.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 08:36:07 am »

A dwarf is never really drunk
That explains why they run away from harmless animals, charge unarmoured into battle and trap themselves in their own constructions.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 08:43:54 am »

A dwarf is never really drunk
That explains why they run away from harmless animals, charge unarmoured into battle and trap themselves in their own constructions.

Clearly neurosis is a bigger factor to dwarven entropy than alcoholism, but which came first? Dwarven neurosis or dwarven alcoholism? Do they drink because they're crazy or are they crazy because they drink?
Pages: [1] 2