Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No one told me not to smooth that!  (Read 1000 times)

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No one told me not to smooth that!
« on: September 14, 2010, 12:11:13 pm »

So I was doing my rounds of smoothing every surface in my fort because I'm obsessive compulsive and forgot I had muddied rock instead of sand/loam for my farming area. I smoothed my farms!!! Now they're not muddy and I don't have time to muddy them again, people are starving.

On another note I wasn't ready for an ambush that came and I sealed my fort off. This didn't stop 20 migrants and a legendary beast from coming though. There are pieces everywhere, it was glorious.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No one told me not to smooth that!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 12:18:17 pm »

Sounds like fun.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 12:22:35 pm »

Even if you muddied them again, your dwarves would clean up the mud again.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 12:24:42 pm »

It's winter, also. My water source is frozen.

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 12:38:12 pm »

If it is the case that they will clean the mud because it's on a smoothed floor you can build something on the floor to make it non-smoothed. The kennels is a nice 5x5. Then you can remuddy it.
Give an elf a fire and he will be warm for a day. Toss him 20z levels into the magma sea and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 12:50:33 pm »

Just removing my non functioning farms seemed to work. They're just unmuddied cavern floors now. Just gotta wait 2 months for the brook to thaw teehee.

edit: sorry everyone fun averted. I forgot about a reserve stockpile of water I had tucked away and drained that onto my farms. Something must have died in it though because my farms are covered in dog blood now.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 01:05:23 pm by worldspawn »

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 01:14:27 pm »

Nothing wrong with a bit of dog blood: it'll put chest on your hair!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 01:24:43 pm »

If it is the case that they will clean the mud because it's on a smoothed floor you can build something on the floor to make it non-smoothed. The kennels is a nice 5x5. Then you can remuddy it.

Workshops and other buildings only remove mud and other contaminants. If you want to roughen the floor, you need to build and remove a paved road or construct+deconstruct floor tiles (or walls, stairs, ramps, fortifications, etc.) in the desired area, since those will actually reset the terrain underneath them to the default layer material (e.g. if you do it in a lignite vein going through chalk, it'll turn it into a chalk floor) both when they are built and periodically (easy to see with roads - just hide the building materials and watch the floor tiles randomly change between their usual ,.'` characters).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.