Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weaponizing blood  (Read 1799 times)

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
Weaponizing blood
« on: September 14, 2010, 12:03:49 pm »

Time to weaponize FB blood!

This sounds like an exciting prospect. First, You have to find a way to bring the FB up to the surface, trap it in  a room somewhere, and kill it, preferably with crossbows from behind fortifications. Then when a siege or ambush comes, lock up your main entrance, and instead of forcing the invaders down a trap lined corridor, force them them through the pool of toxic blood. It would probably be best to build a roof over your little blood chamber, to keep the rain from washing the blood away.

The two problems I see with this are goblins tracking toxic blood out of the blood chamber, and dwarves running through the blood chamber to grab goblin weapons. The first problem could be solved by locking the goblins in the chamber until they expire from the syndrome, and the second one could be stopped by setting orders to forbid enemy equipment on death, though the piles of discarded equipment may still bug some people.

I don't have DF installed right now and I'm waiting on the healthcare fixes before I start playing again, but I hope someone tries this out and can report on the results. What do you all think?
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponizing blood
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 12:17:10 pm »

I suppose that if you caged a forgotten beast (knock it out on a trap), and built a chamber in a body of flowing water goblins have to walk through, then when they are in the dwarf made contaminant river, make the beast bleed somehow (non lethal spike trap?).

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 12:25:34 pm »

Forgotten beasts cannot be stunned. I believe they can be webbed though. It would be difficult, but getting a GCS to web your field of cage traps would be a worthwile endeavor, if only for Science's sake.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 12:44:12 pm »

Why bother will all this? Just capture some goblins, place their cages near the entrance, close the chamber off except to the caverns, place some sacrificial lamb near goblins to attract FB (or leave the door leading to you fort from this fortress unforbidden), wait until it comes up there, open the cages, watch the massacre. If goblins kill FB, it's blood will be everywhere to kill following invaders. If FB kills goblins, it will still sit there waiting for next ambush.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 12:47:46 pm »

Time to weaponize FB blood!

This sounds like an exciting prospect. First, You have to find a way to bring the FB up to the surface, trap it in  a room somewhere, and kill it, preferably with crossbows from behind fortifications. Then when a siege or ambush comes, lock up your main entrance, and instead of forcing the invaders down a trap lined corridor, force them them through the pool of toxic blood. It would probably be best to build a roof over your little blood chamber, to keep the rain from washing the blood away.

The two problems I see with this are goblins tracking toxic blood out of the blood chamber, and dwarves running through the blood chamber to grab goblin weapons. The first problem could be solved by locking the goblins in the chamber until they expire from the syndrome, and the second one could be stopped by setting orders to forbid enemy equipment on death, though the piles of discarded equipment may still bug some people.

I don't have DF installed right now and I'm waiting on the healthcare fixes before I start playing again, but I hope someone tries this out and can report on the results. What do you all think?

I was thinking earlier if the 4x mist shower room couldn't be run with blood instead of magma, and if with blood, - why not poisonous FB blood?
Would be cool, but does blood actually accumulate into 7/7 pool? I don't think so, at least not yet. Anyway, boiling blood mist room would be nice.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:28:59 pm »

No, blood is not a liquid, only a containment. However, I'm pretty sure Toady is going to make it a liquid soon enough.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 02:46:33 pm »

Are there FB's that can bleed but not die?

Would be interesting to have one in a room with lots of grates and bars.  Have it somewhere near gobbos and have marksdwarves (of the gobbos themselves I guess) pelt it with a few arrows....

or maybe have it locked in a 1x1 room on a spike trap? hmmm

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 03:05:03 pm »

How about an FB catapult? Would be cool to be able to launch captured enemies...
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 05:15:54 pm »

...or build a repeater in the containment room after the beast dies. (or beforehand for that matter.)  that way the gobbos rush in, and get stuck running over the blood making it grow thicker and thicker, killing future gobbos even more swiftly.  As long as you set the corpses and items of other dead to be forbidden your dwarves should leave it alone (no traps to unjam)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 08:17:00 pm »

I think Battlefailed weaponized forgotten beast blood (or tried to, anyway). The forgotten beast was injured and walking around in the ocean for a long time, turning it all into rot-inducing contaminated water. They build a pump stack to dump that water on invaders (the Failcannon). Pretty sure everyone died before it was properly tested though.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 08:28:15 pm »

IIRC the FAILCANNON was meant to wash all the crap out of the entrance.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

dragonflare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 10:37:28 pm »

So anyone know how to use forgotten beast blood? I have 5 of then sitting in cages.

Would pools of blood work? or do invaders wear shoes that protect them from that?

How about spike traps? (assuming they don't die from the bleeding)

Does water and blood work (moat?)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 10:47:43 pm »

Any contaminant will work, mixed in with water or just on the floor. Mind you, the water can clean the goblins instead too so it's less reliable. Not sure if spear traps can get coated, try it with a cat or something first.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 08:16:58 pm »

How did you catch them--GCS? I spent as long time on a cage trap/suction based cave-in traps, so far to no avail, for the express purpose of catching an FB to replace my much missed area champion (a giant, who stupidly fell over after getting speargoblined in the foot_.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 08:33:06 pm »

FBs in cages? He probably means semi-megabeasts like ettins and such.

Anyway, here's how to do it. I think. Bars and grates trap blood, right? And can be hooked up to levers or pressure plates? When pulled, I think they dump their contaminants rather than destroying them. Allow contaminated water to fill a hall with floor grates over a drainage tunnel. When full, drain the water. Your grates now have a nice coating of deadly goo. Gobbos walk down the hall towards a defenseless kitten lure, crossing the grates. Pressure plate seals goblins into deadly hall. When they succumb, drop them into the drainage tunnel. Using a wall grate at the end to collect the goo, wash them clean. Open the wall grate, and wash the goo back onto the floor grates above.
Pages: [1] 2