Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question: Do Heroes PREFER to be on active duty all the time?  (Read 805 times)

cliftor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Question: Do Heroes PREFER to be on active duty all the time?
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:23:13 pm »

High, long time admirer of the concept of DF, forum lurker, and 1-monthish player (finally took the plunge!).  My current fort finally has my first group of Great soldiers, and I'm getting confused about their mood.

They seem to get an unhappy thought if they're on duty too long- yet my Heroes get a unhappy thought if they're REMOVED from duty.  I have a rotating schedule of 1 month training, 2 months off for every squad and just stuck to it, going on the assumption that any sane dwarf would like a break now and then, but now I'm wondering if I should consolidate all Heroes into special squads and have them active all the time?  Will this make them happier?  They're really sending me mixed signals here.

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Do Heroes PREFER to be on active duty all the time?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:28:21 pm »

He got upset because you took him out of the military instead of giving him a break, there's a difference.

It's like asking your boss for some days off and he then goes ahead and fires you and wonders why you're upset.

cliftor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:14:35 pm »

Well, they're still drafted, they just have no orders for those two months.  The entry in the scheduling cell says "No Scheduled Order."  And I see no "chill out and relax" order, just defend burrows, station, patrol and train.  But every time their break comes around, they invariably get this unhappy thought about being relieved from duty.

Do they just want to be training non-stop if they're a Hero?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 11:15:48 pm »

Are they peasants in civilian life? If so, that's your problem. Train them up in a skill so they can still do things when not killing things. I recommend furnace operating.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:21:21 pm »

You can just leave their orders set to training but change the minimum dwarves required to about 1/2 or 2/3 of the total squad size (you'll have to copy and paste for each month). When they feel like a break, they will be able to do so without going under the minimum number.

cliftor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 11:48:26 pm »

Now that's an idea (both of them).  I didn't check to see if the complainers have no skilled labors enabled.  Even the peasants are haulers, but I imagine you mean skilled labor is what works.  And I always wondered what that "minimum required" meant.  That may be my solution right there.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:32:56 am »

You can just leave their orders set to training but change the minimum dwarves required to about 1/2 or 2/3 of the total squad size (you'll have to copy and paste for each month). When they feel like a break, they will be able to do so without going under the minimum number.
This is the only way to prevent unhappy thoughts at the moment.

Yes, the "relieved from duty" thought is ridiculous and needs to be changed, but it is what it is. I could understand it if it was triggered by being taken off the militia entirely, but having it triggered when they're supposed to be taking a rest break is downright stupid.

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:03:37 am »

Are they peasants in civilian life? If so, that's your problem. Train them up in a skill so they can still do things when not killing things. I recommend furnace operating.
Yes, this.  My preference is to train in pump operating.  I've got a pump near my barracks which pumps absolutely nothing.  It only takes a few moments for a peasant to become a novice pump operator.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 11:20:28 am »

If everyone is at least novice at any military and any civilian skill they will not receive unhappy thoughts. Just have them work out in a dwarven gym for a little while. It should only take a few in-game days to reach novice pump operator. It will also improve their physical stats.

All dwarves will become unhappy at being soldiers for long periods of time without being able to turn into a civilian once in a while. However this is a very minor unhappy thought, and is easily countered by giving them lots of goblins to kill.

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 06:27:03 pm »

I thought civilian duties don't give dwarves stats like agility and strength anymore.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 07:13:45 pm »

I thought civilian duties don't give dwarves stats like agility and strength anymore.

That hasn't been true for several builds now.