Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is IGF nothing more than a marketing scam?  (Read 2504 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Is IGF nothing more than a marketing scam?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 01:57:31 pm »

The Award Monaco won is titled "Best Independent Game." I'm going to have to agree with the OP on this one that awarding such a title to a game that does not even exist in any form is grossly improper for anyone who wants to have a bit of credibility in their opinions.
Monaco doesnt exist in any form?

I thought it was playable at PAX, but if you say so.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 02:09:28 pm »

Yeah, its always annoying when things that aren't finished get awards over things that are. Makes me wonder what the decisions are based on.

I'm still hoping that one day a game like serial killer roguelike will win an award and then everyone finds out it's just a hoax.

They judges get playable versions of the game. Also, many previous entrants, and winners do go on to be released. Chris Remo (of Irrational Games, formerly editor-at-large of Gamasutra) was a judge for 2? years, and he played all the games he judged. (You can tell I just finished relistening to all the old Idle Thumbs.)
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 08:16:39 pm »

It seems like a somewhat better idea, to me, to award money to games which are still in development so as to aid them in achieving their development goals.  Hopefully this would allow them to produce a better game, rather than (with completed games) help them better market and distribute their finished game.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 08:36:28 pm »

I'm going to apply my game for the best indepedent game award next year.

Basically its an mmo, that can handle a million players at once, fully deformanble/destructable terrain, NPCs that all have realistic daily schedules and routines, wildlife that migrates, hunts each other, etc. Player classes range from farmer and peasant all the way up to godzilla or barbarella.

Actually... me and some friends are working on that. We already have a world that is 200 million square miles, smart NPCs/wildlife, and no set character classes. The lobby servers could handle a million players in theory.

Deformable/destructible terrain is a huge problem though, the solutions we have so far are not ones I like.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 11:04:32 pm »

I'm going to apply my game for the best indepedent game award next year.

Basically its an mmo, that can handle a million players at once, fully deformanble/destructable terrain, NPCs that all have realistic daily schedules and routines, wildlife that migrates, hunts each other, etc. Player classes range from farmer and peasant all the way up to godzilla or barbarella.

Actually... me and some friends are working on that. We already have a world that is 200 million square miles, smart NPCs/wildlife, and no set character classes. The lobby servers could handle a million players in theory.

Deformable/destructible terrain is a huge problem though, the solutions we have so far are not ones I like.

I made a game like that in 7 days once, then decided I thought the world was not ready/worthy so its just sitting on my HDD.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 [2]