Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is IGF nothing more than a marketing scam?  (Read 2501 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is IGF nothing more than a marketing scam?
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:05:53 pm »

Like many gamers here I look at the IGF.com page for indie games and the occasional free item. I am growing disillusioned with them recently, in particular over Monaco. Winners in their competition traditionally garner quite a bit of financial success. Not a problem to me as long as their winner is a functional game, preferably one that is released or soon to be released. So how did Monaco win against many finished games when it still isn't playable and many elements are not in it yet?

Don't get me wrong.....I want nothing but success for the creator of Monaco and all other indie devs but I don't like this trend one bit.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Is IGF nothing more than a marketing scam?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:07:25 pm »

I've never been to IGF.COM

>.>

But most review sites are sort of scam-y anyway. Specially the site's official reviews. I normally look at what people are saying in general.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:33:29 pm »

i noticed at least 75% of the games on the page are in development still, so at least the playing field is kinda level. IMO, Monaco looked like something I would like most over the rest.

Does'nt seem like a scam to me, really.
I got nothing

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:47:51 pm »

Definitely not a scam, many games are submitted in development stage.

That said they are refining their processes as they've gained in fame over at IGF, some of the changes which can be read here: http://www.igf.com/2010/06/letter_from_the_chairman_explaining_igfs_changes_for_2011.html
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:50:02 pm by Tilla »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 10:52:01 pm »

Certainly doesn't look like a scam. "13 years of challenging indie game developers" is a pretty impressive credential. And I doubt I'd spend 13 years of my life secretly plotting to covertly advertise one game!

That said, I've never played Monaco, and the closest I've come to any of the other 4 'grand prize' contestants was the Flash version of Meat Boy. My uneducated guess is, your tastes differ from those of the judges. It happens. Trust me, you get used to it.  ;D

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 09:21:25 am »

I'm not upset that any particular title wins over another. I also do not think that they spent 13 years to scam us on a single game and I apologize that my choice of word implied that. I merely question the validity of awarding one unfinished game(really just a concept) over any other. It seems ridiculous to me to call this a competition. Perhaps they should change it to a game design document competition?

Thank you for posting the link to upcoming changes.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:43:48 am »

Yeah, its always annoying when things that aren't finished get awards over things that are. Makes me wonder what the decisions are based on.

I'm still hoping that one day a game like serial killer roguelike will win an award and then everyone finds out it's just a hoax.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:51:53 am »

I highly doubt the IGF judges aren't being allowed to see actual progress and what's been done in addition to the stuff we see.  That would be a little silly.
Shoes...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 11:22:39 am »

I'm still hoping that one day a game like serial killer roguelike will win an award and then everyone finds out it's just a hoax.
Molyneux's Kinect Milo didn't win anything?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 11:42:36 am »

I don't think it did? Wouldn't be surprised though, E3 awards seems to basically be a developer/journalist circle jerk of who can get the biggest trophy for talking out their asses.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 11:48:18 am »

Wouldn't you give the price for 2011 to DF if it was submitted, even though it's horribly unfinished?

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 12:08:35 pm »

Scam, no.  Marketing, yes.  What indie devs most need is marketing.  It is the essential, non-creative(ducks) aspect of the industry.  I would not have found DF if the review had not appeared in a magazine.  I buy lots of indie games from Gamersgate because it is easy, convenient, and often discounted.  That's marketing!  When i browse Sourceforge and report here of a game that one guy is making, in his spare time, in his mom's basement that's...marketing.  Betazine...marketing.  Roguebasin....marketing.  Wikipedia...marketing.  Without marketing we would all be lined up behind the cow, bowl of toasty oats in hand, waiting for a squirt.   ;)

"I am become death, the seller of games."

Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 12:57:01 pm »

Wouldn't you give the price for 2011 to DF if it was submitted, even though it's horribly unfinished?

Well i guess unfinshed was the wrong word to use. DF is playable, its out, and for all intents and purposes its a working game. What annoys me is when games that aren't released, playable, or availble win instead of games people can play.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 01:50:48 pm »

The Award Monaco won is titled "Best Independent Game." I'm going to have to agree with the OP on this one that awarding such a title to a game that does not even exist in any form is grossly improper for anyone who wants to have a bit of credibility in their opinions. They already awarded it the "Excellence in Design" award, which is perfectly alright, as that's all we have from Monaco at this point. There would be no problem if it was just left at that.
!!&!!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 01:56:25 pm »

I'm going to apply my game for the best indepedent game award next year.

Basically its an mmo, that can handle a million players at once, fully deformanble/destructable terrain, NPCs that all have realistic daily schedules and routines, wildlife that migrates, hunts each other, etc. Player classes range from farmer and peasant all the way up to godzilla or barbarella.

It wont be out for a while though, since I have no intention of actually learning any programming languages, thus I cannot actually work on the game myself. I'm hoping the marketing I get from the award will help me trick someone into doing all the work for me :D
Pages: [1] 2