Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A first for me: some spoilery fun. Slow, painful fun.  (Read 3219 times)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A first for me: some spoilery fun. Slow, painful fun.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 01:32:46 pm »

The succession fortresses Ardentdikes recently dealt with the exact same situation, if you want to check it out. I'd suggest a small pit (ramps in/out) in a traffic path with 2/7 water and liberal use of dfclean. Or magma.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 02:00:40 pm »

Also just as a note for you, fluiddruid, FB's have trapavoid, so you can't use weapon and cage traps on them.

fluiddruid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 06:26:39 pm »

They've probably dragged around the deadly dust all over the fortress, and contaminants never disappear. I recommend turning your entire fort into a leper colony and let the survivors and migrants carve a new one. Hilarious story by the way!
Invisible, permanent contaminants?  That's a kick in the ladyparts.  Had no idea that could be the case.  Seems rather unfair, really; so basically, cracking a cavern means something will eventually show up that ruins your game no matter how well developed your military?  Or is 'deadly dust' fairly uncommon?

Well, as I was going through the medical screens, the game crashed and thus reverted to my save from last night, before the titan.  I guess I'll just abandon if the situation isn't fixable; there really isn't a suitable site for a new fortress on the same map, and if they're able to track the contaminants about, my fortress is a total loss.  That sucks.

I guess I could just intentionally hose the whole thing with magma, but my miners are infected, and I haven't cracked magma on this map yet, so it'd be a really long term project. 

Thanks for the tip on the traps, though.  I wasn't sure, but I had heard of people taming titans and stuff.  Maybe that's with mods?

fluiddruid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 06:29:30 pm »

The succession fortresses Ardentdikes recently dealt with the exact same situation, if you want to check it out. I'd suggest a small pit (ramps in/out) in a traffic path with 2/7 water and liberal use of dfclean. Or magma.
I'll check it out, but what's dfclean?  I assume it's a utility, but in terms of actually downloading it, my google-fu is failing me (other than a few brief references on these forums, I can't see anything).

Edit: Oh, I see, it's intentionally supposed to reflect a communicable disease, rather than just random rotting injuries?  That makes a bit more sense, I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 06:33:52 pm by fluiddruid »

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 08:43:40 pm »

dfclean is a utility included with dfhack. It'll wipe up all contaminants on the map, but those on creatures will remain to be spread.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 11:53:57 pm »

Living dead are stumbling around your fort? Whole fort is submerged in miasma from corpses? Fear no longer! The Corpus Washus Company will wash all your corpses for mere 100 dorfbucks apiece! Call right now and we'll wash your living as well... FOR FREE!
So totally sigged.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

fluiddruid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 08:46:02 am »

dfclean is a utility included with dfhack. It'll wipe up all contaminants on the map, but those on creatures will remain to be spread.
Ah, great.  Thank you.
Pages: 1 [2]