Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Lets Play Caravaneer!  (Read 9921 times)

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lets Play Caravaneer!
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:33:31 pm »

Ok, I know that it's a flash game, and practically everywhere by now, but it is an incredibally hard game, and I have yet to 'beat it'.

Basic Summary

Caravaneer is one of your basic trading games, where you are supposed to buy low and sell high to make money... but there are other ways. It takes place in a post-apocalyptic, but still modern tech, desert... no idea where in relation to the world, but I would guess west U.S., there are alot of towns some grouped heavily together and others far apart.

And so, our story begins

The effects of global heating were much stronger and started much earlier than it was expected. When the glaciers started to melt it took only five years for the sea level to rise more than 20 meters flooding hundreds of thousands of square kilometers of ground and destroying uncountable number of human settlements. Many natural disasters accompanied the climate change devastating cities and villages. Extreme heat waves along with the quickly expanging drought wiped out a great part of the Earth's vegetation and ruined agriculture and animal industry. Various settlements fell victims to forest fires along with their inhabitants. The rest of humanity was forced to face a nutritious crisis wich made it bulnerable to a huge number of new biruses that spread and mutated faster than ever in the new climate.

People left big cities in search of food and water and running away from contagious diseases. Infreastructures were buster. Civilization as we know it had come to it's end, but not humanity. Although population reduced significantly, survivors gradually adapted to the new conditions. New sorts of agriculture were developed and new animal breeds were raised to suit the hot climate. New settlements were founded around water sources and a new era began.

I kid you not that is the begining of the game... Just a wall of black text, in a tan-ish map-like background... Before we can get to what the game has as our personal back ground we have to create him/her. It's simple enough, just a pre-picked set of 10 faces, 5 male, 5 female, one for each (I think) ethnicity available. Then we have the following statuses

Spoiler: Faces (click to show/hide)
Name: (obvious)
Physical Shape: (directly determines strength which is only used for melee weapons(IDK yet), carrying weight(this*3+1=that), and HP(thisx10=that))
Agility: (directly determines AP(not quite sure but I think(this+3=that)), and speed on map(this=that))
Accuracy: (directly determines sniper skill (thisx10=that)...)
Intelligence: (relates somehow to one of 3 skills mechanic, ability to repair (auto), vet, ability to heal animals (auto with medicine), doctor, ability to heal humans(auto with medicine))

Just pick a face, and fill in the stats. 25 points, with a minimal of one, and a maximum of 10. The name is free.

Ill pick the first one completely submitted, but since the difficulty of this game is intense I'll probobly set up a list of the next person to go...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Caravaneer!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 08:24:48 pm »

Link to anywhere with this game, please? It's quite good, but I forgot where I could find it.
I'll take someone as a sword whore in melee, as well as an M1 Garand at range if possible.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 08:41:31 pm »

Name: Obb Veos
Physical Shape: 5
Agility: 8
Accuracy: 9
Intelligence: 3

Preferred weapon: Something with high accuracy and a long range.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:24:28 pm »

Man, I still have a transitioning from-beginning to mid-game caravan somewhere.
Watching.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 09:25:52 pm »

Also, face 5.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:31:03 pm »

Also, one question.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 09:35:01 pm »

I thought I had it clear in OP, that the only thing I havn't done is
'Beat it'
I know all about basic functions, and will try to keep us alive as long as possible, but only under the major things you command... also...

Also, one question.
I have absolutely NO idea... if we get that far, I hope we can figure it out... Oh, and I start tomorrow at about 4ish using the *first* complete person... School, especially MY school, is absolutely, incomprehensably, unessecarily, stupid...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:37:30 pm »

Also, one question.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:42:38 pm »

Link to anywhere with this game, please? It's quite good, but I forgot where I could find it.
I'll take someone as a sword whore in melee, as well as an M1 Garand at range if possible.

http://www.sugar-free-games.com/showgame.php?game=849

If Ob Veos dies, here's a #2 for you. A rather dapper chap, Mr. Tarquin Rasputin:

Name: Tarquin Rasputin
Face 1
Physical Shape: 7
Agility: 5
Accuracy: 5
Intelligence: 8

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 06:53:47 am by Ignus »

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 09:44:14 pm »

Also, the bandits on the way to the Desert Patrol headquarters are pushovers. I killed them with 3 guys using M1 Garands (Which for some reason only has 5 bullets.) And on my way back they were slaughtered by M14s, AK-47s, and AK-101s.

Also, may I be referenced as a guy that can be used as a conversational piece? You could stop after I start on the "Beat up the bandits and The Government" Arc.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 10:19:47 pm »

I forgot, the face I pick is #9, the one with the purple shirt.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 08:51:25 am »

Well, if I remember right, we can only choose the first guy. The other ones are hardcoded.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 09:00:48 am »

Tips
-Small cart wagons are your friends
-Alcohol should be you first priority for trading
-All other skills are irrelevant except for agility!
-GET AN AUTO-MATIC FIREARM ASAP!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 12:15:58 pm »

Yeah I played this quite a bit once upon a time.

Get firearms ASAP. No ifs or buts, just get them and use them. The first melee robbers are cake if you can just pick them off from afar.

I always used to get horses with the country carts (I think). There's a special way that the carried amount in a cart is measured, where a country cart is actually capable of carrying more weight than a large cart, if you use a horse. And I always used horses (or donkeys or whatever) since the bulls were just tooo daaamn slooooow. Also, in my game I got royally screwed since the resource production of each city is randomly picked at the start of each game, and I ended up with a map where no city actually produced more fuel than it made. The only way to upgrade to vehicles was to kill a helluva lot of bandits (or police patrols) then snatch all of their leftovers.

Be very wary whenever you move to a new "zone". The differences are incredibly drastic, going from the starter bandits of 1-3 guys with clubs and maybe a pistol to like 7 guys with rifles to 20 guys with RPGS and the lot. Just because you can survive a bandit attack doesn't mean you're safe to move on. Always do the sweet-spot trades ad nauseu since you need the money to sprint to the new shop and stock up on better weaponry.

Towards the end, rocket launchers and grenades are friggin awesome. MGs are so-so, assault rifles are pretty good and snipers are meh. But you'll end up facing these long convoys of vehicles, with all of the bandits hiding behind the vehicles. This means that even if you're using some inaccurate git to launch the rockets, most of the time that he's going to miss whatever he's aiming at he'll hit a car instead, then the explosion will kill a bunch of people anyways.

Pick whichever guy has most agility. Action points are what determine how much stuff you can do pr. turn in combat, and it really shows when your guys end up with a lot of them. When you have a decently sized squad of 10 or so mixed rocketeers/assault riflers, each with 15-25 action points you can demolish lategame bandit squads even though the bandits have so good gear. You can simply kill 2/3 - 3/4 of the entire convoy before they're able to even duck for cover, and if you make sure to leave your guys behind cover before their turn is over, and to focus down their rockets and grenades first, they have no real way to even hurt your guys.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 12:17:46 pm »

Watching
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4