Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to successfully mine a +20zlvl volcano (w/o too much fun)  (Read 1210 times)

Moltar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to successfully mine a +20zlvl volcano (w/o too much fun)
« on: September 13, 2010, 04:37:45 pm »

Yeah so i have a volcano thats about 20 z levels above my fort.
I have no idea how to mine the side of it without killing a miner. Is there some way of doing this without melting a good miner or should i just wait for some migrants to come and sacrifice one?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: How to successfully mine a +20zlvl volcano (w/o too much fun)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 04:39:16 pm »

Just have a place for your miner to escape the channel. Magma doesn't quite flow as fast as a dwarf moves.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:00:54 pm »

Use the smooth stone -> fortification method to breach the volcano.

I got this method from the wiki, I think, so you should find information about it there.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:04:53 pm »

Magma isn't naturally under pressure. Pumps can pressurise it, but otherwise the magma will flow at the exact same speed whetehr you tapped the top or the bottom of that volcano.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 05:09:35 pm »

I find that carving fortifications is easiest. Just prepare the area the magma will flood into and make sure there is an exit the dwarf can escape from. Carve the fortifications and the dwarf should be able to outrun the magma. If not, he may get a little melted but he should be okay. Magma is not instantly lethal anymore.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 07:07:01 pm »

Just make sure you provide an exit from the magma-channel in such a way that your brave stone-detailer can out-run the magma;  Don't put the emergency exit right next to your carving-site.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 11:51:43 pm »

Use immigrant labour. You don't need all your copper picks, right?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 05:41:44 am »

Yeah so i have a volcano thats about 20 z levels above my fort.
I have no idea how to mine the side of it without killing a miner. Is there some way of doing this without melting a good miner or should i just wait for some migrants to come and sacrifice one?

Clearly, DF is in need of some explosives technology to help in such situations. Something to destroy 1 cube.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 05:48:55 am »

Like Urist McDynamite?

Moltar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 02:48:06 pm »

SUCCESS!
Urist McMiner managed to bolt out of the flooding hallway, and past the obsidian door before his tiny little legs melted.

Yeah some more advanced mining techniques would be welcome.
Alchemy workshops creating gunpowder/tnt maybe?

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 03:25:54 pm »

Usually, you can breach it and run, but there is a safer method, if the volcano doesn't have a straight edge. Just find a place where the magma tube is narrower on the z-level above your corridor, and channel out the tile which is between the lava tube and the corridor.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 03:36:28 pm »

Usually, you can breach it and run, but there is a safer method, if the volcano doesn't have a straight edge. Just find a place where the magma tube is narrower on the z-level above your corridor, and channel out the tile which is between the lava tube and the corridor.

That only works if you are using a version prior to 31.XX.