Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stoping the red menace  (Read 2501 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stoping the red menace
« on: September 13, 2010, 03:54:10 pm »

How do you control the rivers of blood from the aftermath of a siege?

If we're talking about just regular goblins here that isn't much of an issue, with the blood being tracked everywhere. It will be dealt with eventually. However I want to have barriers, firm barriers that prevent the rivers of blood from extending beyond that point to prevent a plague if I happen to encounter, say, a FB with blood that causes dwarves to melt.

I've tried wading pools but they don't seem to work. Its just a ramp down, with 2 or 3 water in it. Shallow enough dwarves can path through but deep enough that it does not evaporate. Dwarves getting out of the pond are blood free as they are now covered in water, and the water dries off after a few steps, resulting in a perfectly clean dwarf. Despite being perfectly clean they still end up tracking the blood around the fortress.

Are there any options to construct a chokepoint that prevents the rivers of blood from flowing beyond that point?

I want my battlegrounds to be bloody. I want my dining rooms to be pristine.

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stoping the red menace
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 03:57:46 pm »

Find your happy place.

Blood will be everywhere, all the time
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 04:06:33 pm »

I don't think that's even possible.

EDIT: Dwarves will clean smoothed/engraved stone. It's basically the lowest-priority job in the game.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 04:07:01 pm »

You could always set like 20 useless peasants to have no labours except cleaning enabled, but that is dubious at best.

Cleaning is such a low priority task that it will sometimes even get out-prioritised by "No job" apparently.

They might like blood covering everything, I guess.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 04:09:22 pm »

DFHack has a utility for this if it really bothers you.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 04:10:50 pm »

I heard something about using grates over a shallow pit. Water in the pit doesn't work, but building grates over the pit is a possibility. Anyone tried this out? I'll give it a try. At this point I just want the rivers of blood to stop!  :o

I need to be prepared for when that FB arrives with the dwarf melting blood!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 04:15:01 pm »

Used to be the stuff didn't rest on grates so if you channeled out a few tiles n grated them you'd never get blood past that point.

Now? Well, you're screwed. If you manage to place some hallways that you can close off and then slowly dribble water through you might be able to push the pools of blood down into a shaft somewheres but there's no practical barrier you can set up.

Now if you've got dfhack you can just double click and remove it all in an instant. Seeing as you don't have any real options for dealing with it I don't feel this is cheaty.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 04:23:58 pm »

Bah. I'll give the grates another try. Maybe combining grates and water would do the trick. I don't want to have to resort the dfhack all the time. Yes it works, but I don't like using it.

I do wish fluids would dry up on the turn of every season like they used to. Blood starts to dry up within minutes of touching air. You'd think that 2 decades after Urist McWantsashell went berserk and was eaten by dogs the entire fortress would no longer be coated with pools of his blood.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 04:24:53 pm »

Magma destroys contaminants, but you may not want to resort to that until you have exhausted every other option. Magma tends to do more harm than good when you flood your fort with it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 04:27:34 pm »

I'd go with magma, however dwarves will refuse to path through even 1/7 magma, whereas they will happily path through 3/7 water.

Sissy dwaves, refusing to walk through magma. Its only ankle deep!  >:(

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 04:43:16 pm »

I was under the impression that mist cleaned contaminants. If you could get a waterfall running over your main entrance, that might work better than the wading pool. At the very least, happy thoughts for your dwarves will abound.

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 05:29:18 pm »

At first I thought
"Dwarves can get periods now?"
And now I'm like
"Time to weaponize FB blood!"
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 05:35:23 pm »

It would probably have to be a flow of water over grates, washing down into a basin beneath the grates, and presumably washing blood off of dwarves and down into the cistern below. The flow would have to be very slow as to keep the water levels low to avoid pathing interruptions. Grates would prevent dwarves from being washed into the water. This would have the side effect of making lots of mist everywhere, but could kill FPS. The water flow would need to be high enough to always keep a 1-2 deep flow of water at all times. Would be a difficult balancing act to get just the right level of flow.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 06:21:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure contaminates don't go through grates.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 07:25:21 pm »

Blood seems to accumulate in any location what you are pumping water FROM.  Even after I have used dfcleanmap it seems to leach out of the aquifer walls when I start pumping, and also to find itself at the leading edge of water-spills.  I've been erasing hydra-blood for 2 years after killing one in my dining room.  Stupid Ezuk Cometstrap.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: [1] 2