Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stoping the red menace  (Read 2503 times)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stoping the red menace
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 08:30:59 pm »

I was under the impression that mist cleaned contaminants. If you could get a waterfall running over your main entrance, that might work better than the wading pool. At the very least, happy thoughts for your dwarves will abound.
I built a perfectly operating shower block. A bronze grate above and below a narrow corridor, water pumped through the grates. Didn't work in the slightest bit. In fact, telling too many dwarves to walk through a narrow corrider at once seemed to make it worse. They rubbed the contaminants onto each other it seemed.

A wading pool combined with DFClean does work. eventually. Took 20 goes on DFClean to clean 100 dwarves.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 11:29:02 pm »

Well if these sit around like items you could build some bridges to just drop the blood down to a dead end corridor and not have to worry about those particular smears getting prodded. Pretty screwed if it creeps past the bridges though.

And if falling one level is too much trouble for your dwarves you could drop them into water. They seem pretty ok about getting out of it these days.

With enough bridge halls and some good periodic toggles you could sort of limit the blood to just little islands in the Earth-
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:22:50 am by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 07:33:12 am »

Well if these sit around like items you could build some bridges to just drop the blood down to a dead end corridor and not have to worry about those particular smears getting prodded. Pretty screwed if it creeps past the bridges though.
I'm not sure that even that would work.  From the experiments I've done, it appears that although blood pools act as contaminates, they aren't affected by gravity and/or stick to the bridges.  When the bridges are retracted the blood vanishes, but then it returns when the bridge is extended again.

The one this I have determined is that blood objects will be pushed by water, even if they don't fall through grates.  Blood objects which are pushed by water next to walls will sometimes be pushed into the wall, at which point they can't re-contaminate anything.  I had some luck with a wash chamber where dwarves would stand in a flow of water that would then pass through a bunch of diagonal passages.  Most of the blood objects ended up stuck in the walls.  That much worked, but I still had problems with dwarves tracking blood around the entrance to the wash room.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 11:04:00 am »

I don't know why, but in my current game, when any blood gets splashed at my entrance, someone just HAS to go clean it right away -- the stone is not smoothed, it's pretty unremarkable except for the fact that it's very near a popular meeting hall.  This is more irritating than it might sound.  I think proximity must be a factor in deciding whether a given dwarf will clean an area.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 11:08:39 am »

Yes, there is some sort of trigger to proximity to a meeting hall. If there is a spill in a meeting hall dwarves swarm over to it and clean it up within seconds. Further away it takes longer to clean up.

Far enough away and dwarves never, ever clean it up, even if it is underground on a smoothed floor. Even after decades of in-game time.

However it is generally a very bad idea to have combat take place next to a meeting zone, for obvious reasons.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 12:19:36 pm »

I'm not sure that even that would work.  From the experiments I've done, it appears that although blood pools act as contaminates, they aren't affected by gravity and/or stick to the bridges.  When the bridges are retracted the blood vanishes, but then it returns when the bridge is extended again.

My friends! Do you realize what this implies? If blood pools are unaffected by gravity, then they must be the secret to Dwarven Antigravity!

OT: If being close to a meeting hall determines whether a given pile of contaminants gets cleaned, then we should attempt to place a meeting hall zone over the contaminants and see whether they get cleaned. The question is whether dwarves who go to that meeting hall will clean it before getting coated in it and increasing the spread.

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 03:24:51 pm »

One trick I use is to place statues near blood spills and set them up as a meeting hall that covers the blood that I want to be cleaned.  Works wonders for indoor spills.  Outdoor spills (or tiles that have EVER been exposed to sunlight), however, seem to never be cleaned by dwarves.  Magma works wonders for outdoors, though.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 03:35:07 pm »

You can also set up a meeting zone by using a zone. No statue needed and dwarves will never hold parties there.

acureforcancer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 06:50:15 pm »

Most of my walls and floors are constructed. When the blood just gets too much, I just deconstruct 'em and rebuild. Blood, mud, pus and vomit all get lost in the process. Especially useful for the hospital, which gets covered in crud after just a few patients.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 07:52:22 pm »

I have a pretty relaxed fortress right now, pop 48, 25 idle dwarves most of the time. I just saw them all rush up and clean cat blood off the danger room almost immediately. three dwarves did it in three trips. I don't actually have any meeting hall or anything. just a non meeting dining room, miles away. Maybe because it within a barracks training area and next to the weapon rack ? First time i've ever actually watched it happen.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.
Pages: 1 [2]