Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: not really a big issue  (Read 3523 times)

WhiskerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
not really a big issue
« on: September 13, 2010, 01:53:16 pm »

this is probably nothing but it's had me concerned for a few days. so basically, i was sitting in math class when i realized that my mouth tasted kind of like msg. no seriously, it was exactly like i had just taken a spoonful and popped it in. this was really disorienting as one might expect, but i was able to ignore it.

then, later on today i noticed it again. that distinct kind-of-salty but not really msg taste, floating around on my tongue, fluttering about, woefully transient. it tastes good, sure, but i'm kind of wondering why. i haven't even eaten any msg heavy foods in like a month. now i know that hallucinations are signs of mental illness, but i'm pretty sure this isn't related? i'm kind of wondering if other people can taste it but that is kind of a hard thing to test. is my tongue just naturally delicious?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: not really a big issue
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 02:04:39 pm »

is my tongue just naturally delicious?

Yes.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:57:05 pm »

That's weird as hell. Been on any medication lately?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:59:00 pm »

you could have a very mild infection in one of your teeth, the type of pus/liquid that comes out of it can be salty tasting, or you could be have mild seizures.
Or you have been licking Asians.
Nom nom nom

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 06:01:30 pm »

Have you tried looking in your own mouth in the mirror yet?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 06:34:53 pm »

Sometimes my mouth tastes very strongly of something randomly for no reason.  I brush my teeth, and it goes away.

Also, smell is a very strong factor in taste, so you could be smelling something that smells like MSG, but not very strongly, so you don't consciously recognize, but strong enough for you to taste.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:24:38 pm »

Maybe you need listerine.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 07:41:42 pm »

Or you have been licking Asians.
WHAT?!?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 07:48:00 pm »

rather surprised it took 4 posts for someone to notice what I typed...
Nom nom nom

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 07:52:42 pm »

Drink more water. I notice that my mouth tastes like salty french fries when I'm getting dehydrated. My inner internet doctor tells me that it is because there is more salt per bit of water, so the taste is more pronounced.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

WhiskerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 02:43:15 am »

That's weird as hell. Been on any medication lately?
none at all.
you could have a very mild infection in one of your teeth, the type of pus/liquid that comes out of it can be salty tasting
that is seriously kind of disgusting and also intriguing. one area of my mouth has been aching only lightly for about a month which i blamed on gingivitis -- i have a dentist appointment in october sometime. to think that it's spewing foul fluid into my mouth is not particularly pleasant.
Drink more water. I notice that my mouth tastes like salty french fries when I'm getting dehydrated. My inner internet doctor tells me that it is because there is more salt per bit of water, so the taste is more pronounced.
i'm kind of hoping it's this, as both days it's happened i hadn't eaten or drank anything at all.
Have you tried looking in your own mouth in the mirror yet?
i just tried this and it looks pretty generic, i guess? nothing out of the ordinary really.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 02:56:44 am »

When you can taste salt spit into a tissue/Kleenex and if it is light yellowy I'm afraid to say you might be tasting pus.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 03:59:41 am »

You're not tasting MSG, you're tasting umami. It's probably the weirdest of the fundamental tastes, and you're probably just smelling something or the air is weird where you are. It's kind of unlikely you're suddenly salivating glutamic acid, and pus doesn't register as umami for most people. If I had to guess, I'd say some of your taste receptors are overproducing ATP and your nerves need a little while to get attuned to the new stimulus level.

If it really bothers you, try eating really savory foods. Maybe that'll get your orbitofrontal cortex back to what you recall as normal.

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 09:50:48 am »

I used to had this problem due to plaque, the daily brushing wasn't enough to remove it all and made my gums bleed a bit while sleeping, that gave me a salty taste until I brushed. Get your dentist to make you a general dental cleanup and plaque removal and wash your mouth with diluted peroxide (about 1 part of medical peroxide on 5 parts of water) after brushing, that will be enough.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:53:19 am by Iren »
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 11:47:54 am »

that is seriously kind of disgusting and also intriguing. one area of my mouth has been aching only lightly for about a month which i blamed on gingivitis -- i have a dentist appointment in october sometime. to think that it's spewing foul fluid into my mouth is not particularly pleasant.

Er, you don't need much fluid for it to taste like something. The amount doesn't need to even be remotely visible. If you've got gingivitis, then yeah, tasting bodily fluids to a small degree is probably not surprising.

And yeah, drink water. It's good for you, being necessary for survival and all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2 3