Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Titans and Traps  (Read 2320 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Titans and Traps
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:45:45 pm »

Part 1:
So, I recently got visited by an ice titan with antennae. Previous titans I've encountered (in .31.x) have all been caught by cage traps, but this one seems different. It passed over every single one of my traps and went straight into my fort. There was no combat report when it passed over the weapon traps, either. Can procedurally-generated titans have [TRAP_AVOID]?

Part 2:
It got into my base, trashed the place up a bit, and killed a few animals. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be a building destroyer, so I was eventually able to trap it in a bedroom. So, is there a way to capture it now? I was thinking of caving-in the bedroom onto a cage trap. Would that work?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Titans and Traps
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 01:01:41 pm »

Part 1:
So, I recently got visited by an ice titan with antennae. Previous titans I've encountered (in .31.x) have all been caught by cage traps, but this one seems different. It passed over every single one of my traps and went straight into my fort. There was no combat report when it passed over the weapon traps, either. Can procedurally-generated titans have [TRAP_AVOID]?
You are confusing titans and megabeasts. All titans are randomly generated and avoid traps, while there's three megabeasts (dragon, BC and hydra) who CAN be both captured and hacked up by traps.
Part 2:
It got into my base, trashed the place up a bit, and killed a few animals. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be a building destroyer, so I was eventually able to trap it in a bedroom. So, is there a way to capture it now? I was thinking of caving-in the bedroom onto a cage trap. Would that work?
No. Floor will destroy the cage trap, ceiling will kill the titan. To capture it you have to knock it out so it will land onto cage trap.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:10:57 pm »

You are confusing titans and megabeasts. All titans are randomly generated and avoid traps, while there's three megabeasts (dragon, BC and hydra) who CAN be both captured and hacked up by traps.
Hmm... I was attacked by a two-headed humanoid in one of my old forts, I can't remember what it was called. I assumed it was a titan, but it might have been a megabeast. Anyway, it was caught easily in one of my cage traps.
No. Floor will destroy the cage trap, ceiling will kill the titan. To capture it you have to knock it out so it will land onto cage trap.
So, stunned titans can be caught in cage traps? Is there another way to stun it so I could do that?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:13:39 pm »

That's an ettin, and it's a semi-megabeast, along with the cyclops, giant and minotaur.  Megabeasts are the dragon, bronze colossus and hydra, which are all fixed, specific creatures and trigger traps, and titans, which are randomly generated and avoid your traps.

You also can't knock true titans out, as they're immune to being stunned or knocked unconscious, so there's simply no way to get one into a cage.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 01:16:59 pm »

You might be able to web them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 01:20:51 pm »

Damn. I was going to have so much fun with my ice titan colosseum... I guess I could still lure it down there and lock it in.

Anyway, thanks. Yeah, the two-headed dude was definitely an ettin, he got a message box like a megabeast instead of an announcement.

Also: web him? How the - how would I do that without taming a GCS?

Oh. Er, no thanks.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 01:22:01 pm »

I've heard it suggested, but never seen it done.  It probably depends largely on webbing mechanics - are creatures that are immune to stunning effects also immune to webs?

And yeah, you'd need a captured (but not necessarily tame) GCS.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 01:28:30 pm »

Damn. I was going to have so much fun with my ice titan colosseum... I guess I could still lure it down there and lock it in.

Anyway, thanks. Yeah, the two-headed dude was definitely an ettin, he got a message box like a megabeast instead of an announcement.

Also: web him? How the - how would I do that without taming a GCS?

Oh. Er, no thanks.

By having a caged wild GCS at your entrance like so:

^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^
^^.....^^
^^.....^^
^^..S..^^
^^.....^^
^^.....^^
^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^

The ^ are cage traps. Link the spider's cage to a lever and pull it when the titan gets near the edge of your cage traps. You have to use a wild one because tame non-trainable creatures won't attack except in self-defense.

I've heard it suggested, but never seen it done.  It probably depends largely on webbing mechanics - are creatures that are immune to stunning effects also immune to webs?

Since [NOSTUN] and [WEBIMMUNE] are separate tags, I would have to say that they are not.

EDIT: There is also the possibility of using a titan, forgotten beast, or demon with a web attack instead of a GCS, but this raises the issue of the caged beast escaping due to being immune to its own webs. Perhaps breaching HFS with a field of cage traps at the ready and some civilian/animal bait would allow you to capture some of the initial demon wave.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 01:33:50 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 01:32:10 pm »

They're certainly different, but the question is whether being webbed still triggers a trap if there's no pain involved.  Has anyone actually succeeded in testing the theory?

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 05:22:35 pm »

By having a caged wild GCS at your entrance like so:

^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^
^^.....^^
^^.....^^
^^..S..^^
^^.....^^
^^.....^^
^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^

The ^ are cage traps. Link the spider's cage to a lever and pull it when the titan gets near the edge of your cage traps. You have to use a wild one because tame non-trainable creatures won't attack except in self-defense.

This GCS webbing and caging of FBs is starting to sound like an urban dwarf legend to me. AFAIK, nobody has proven it is even possible.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Uratashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 05:47:44 pm »

At the entrance to my fort, after my traps, I like to have a trap like so:

WBBBW
WBBBW
WBBBW
WPPPW
WBBBW
WBBBW
WBBBW
WBBBW

W = Barrier (Wall, Water)
B = Retracting Bridge
P = Pressure Plate

Pressure plates hooked up to both bridges, and this is usually over a river, so they'll drown after they fall in. I panicked when the first Titan I ever had skipped right over my traps,
then I was extremely relieved when my trap worked. Haha.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 06:19:28 pm »

I've figured out a potentially real and working way to farm the damn silk (and indeed, use a GCS as a fortress guard) - now all I have to do is catch one and test it. :(