Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trading with the elves  (Read 9698 times)

clem131

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
trading with the elves
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:17:08 pm »

Hi everybody,
I just offered a bin of crafts to an elven caravan. The goods were stone made but, my mistake, the bin was wooden. This resulted in the usual emo boo-hoo this was once a beautiful tree boo-hoo. I fail to see how them offering me loads of wooden objects is ok, but still. Now, I can hit the [t]rade button and enter the trading screen, but in there, no matter what I choose now, I can't hit [t] anymore. So what, are they upset now, as in "we'll be back with our army"? I suppose not, they are still there and I received no message whatsoever. I suppose if they were upset they would be leaving already. Am I doing something wrong or simply the game takes some time to acknowledge the elven emo-like feeling?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: trading with the elves
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:25:38 pm »

offer anything made of wood to them and they will not trade at all during that visit. simples. they will be back though next spring...

to be fair its not as if you would miss them. the odd useful animal aside, they aint much use...
This is a blank sig.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:27:03 pm »

If your broker has sufficient "Judge of Intent" skill, you'll see a line at the top which describes the happiness of the traders. If you try to trade wooden goods to the elves, it will make them unhappy, possibly to the point of "[merchant] is unwilling to trade" which means that the caravan is going to pack up and leave immediately. Better luck next year, assuming you didn't anger them enough to start a war.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 02:11:36 pm »

Elves won't always leave immediately if you offer wooden goods. If you have good relations with them they'll endure one such incident, but don't expect any more clemency from them after that. If they haven't left, you should still be able to trade with them.

The elves also trade you wooden items because they procure them in kosher ways. I think they used to have (and still might have) a [TREESINGING] tag, or something like that.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 05:06:50 pm »

Of course, as soon as you try ot sell them back their own wooden goods, they'll throw a fit at that too.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 04:56:03 am »

Elves won't always leave immediately if you offer wooden goods. If you have good relations with them they'll endure one such incident, but don't expect any more clemency from them after that. If they haven't left, you should still be able to trade with them.

The elves also trade you wooden items because they procure them in kosher ways. I think they used to have (and still might have) a [TREESINGING] tag, or something like that.

I always thought it's more like the americans with their nuclear weapons and anti-land mines treaties. Don't let others use or make 'em and whine and bitch like hell if they ever look like they're about to defend themselves against your aggression, but make plenty for yourself, have nuclear first strike policy and sow the mines around everywhere and secretly sell nukes to israel and others, not abiding by your own treaties. Or like human rights treaties. - Whine like hell when others torture, but it's suddenly not torture when USA does it en mass. Double morals, gotta love 'em. - Maybe it's one of Toady's lessons.

Also elves can be bribed back to friendship. I only wish there was something that would totally flip them off to war immediately, like making elf bone crafts and decorating some wood with it to sell to them.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:48:42 am »

Next year they will be back and happy to trade again.

In future, besides not trading bins, You might want to check your items for wooden decorations: sometimes odd goblin will be wearing thong decorated with spikes of pine and it is not good idea to offer it to elves.

clem131

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 03:46:09 am »

Thanks for the answers. Turns out they left anyway if not immediately, a short time after. I kept trying with settings at the trade depot so the time was frozen.
The strange thing was being able to enter the trade screen but not being able to hit [t] there. Who knows.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 07:46:05 am »

When you anger merchants, they won't immediately pack up and leave - they'll immediately "be leaving soon" and then pack up and leave a short while later. The effect is the same - you won't be able to trade with them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.