Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: SPOILER statute of SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER  (Read 4117 times)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
SPOILER statute of SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:34:51 am »

There's a statute of limitations on this stuff.

Can we please stop telling each other to spoiler anything related to something that may or may not have been a surprise months/years ago but at this point is rote for the majority of the community and talked about in just about every single thread?

Yes, some people who don't know about demons or hell or adamantite will stumble into the forums and have it "spoiled" for them, but, yeah, it happens. Guess what? King Kong dies, Bruce Willis was dead the whole time, and the chick from The Crying Game was really a man.

Hell, a gaming magazine here in Australia ran an article on Dwarf Fortress last month and swarms of demons was a central part of the article.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER statute of SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:38:18 am »

[DATA EXPUNGED]
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

BinTrig

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:39:53 am »

I can see why some wouldn't want it revealed (in the event of new things being added) while others would like to know what they might go up against so it doesn't result in them throwing a tantrum and subsequently putting a computer out a second story window.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:42:14 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 10:42:29 am »

One, it is a vile drink that turns even decent men into monsters.
Two, it seems to be a tradition around here.
Three, why not? Like BinTrig said, some players genuinely don't want to have the surprises spoiled.
Four,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 10:43:36 am »

TBH As long as the title is slightly ambiguous, its only the fault of the Spoileree if they open the thread but wanting no spoilers. Its simple if anything looks spoilerish in a thread title don't read the thread. If you come across a post that starts to sound spoilerish don't read the thread.

Close your eyes and do what a 4 year old does and wish it away while pressing back on your browser. :P
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 10:45:12 am »

I can see why some wouldn't want it revealed (in the event of new things being added) while others would like to know what they might go up against so it doesn't result in them throwing a tantrum and subsequently putting a computer out a second story window.

It's all in the wiki.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 10:47:49 am »

I hung out on the forums before I breached the HFS, and I managed to do it unspoiled only last year. It was one of the most awesome things that has happened to me in computer games. When I struck adamantine, I looked it up on the wiki, and it was great because it told me the properties of adamantine and then had a big spoiler alert, so I knew something odd was likely to happen but not what. New players come all the time, and it's only fair to give them a shot at that experience. It's not like it takes any effort to write SPOILER instead of DEMONS.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 10:50:40 am »

It's tradition. I personally find it amusing how people continue to come up with new ways to sploiler it.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 10:56:25 am »

That's the thing: it's not new anymore, and the inherent "spoilable" nature of half of what gets told to be spoiler'd is nominal at best. It's not a twist ending or a whodunnit crime drama. Demon invasion has been a part of the game since the 2d era. The new implementation in 2010? Totally valid thing to spoiler tag... back when everyone wanted to see the new shiny things for themselves. But those were people looking for new shiny things. The day is past, people.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 10:57:56 am »

So don't put spoiler tags in anything you write.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 11:05:49 am »

That's the thing: it's not new anymore, and the inherent "spoilable" nature of half of what gets told to be spoiler'd is nominal at best. It's not a twist ending or a whodunnit crime drama. Demon invasion has been a part of the game since the 2d era. The new implementation in 2010? Totally valid thing to spoiler tag... back when everyone wanted to see the new shiny things for themselves. But those were people looking for new shiny things. The day is past, people.
Your comparison with films and books doesn't really work. DF has very little publicity and word of mouth spreads slowly. New people come all the time, and that's a good thing. To me, an evolving and constantly discovered game like DF doesn't have a date for these things. I'm sure it can be irritating for those who have been on the forum for a very long time, but that doesn't entitle them to treat newbies like they arrived too late, which is often the sad case in Internet subculture. To me, it's just a lack of respect to not use spoiler tags for what can be seen as the endgame of sorts for DF.

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 11:16:40 am »

There are new players coming all the time that would rather find out exciting Fun by themselves. It seriously isn't hard to add a couple spoiler tags or use a different word.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 11:20:44 am »

There are new players coming all the time that would rather find out exciting Fun by themselves. It seriously isn't hard to add a couple spoiler tags or use a different word.

More often than not its these new players who are the ones not spoilering their tags. The older ones of us have no need to make threads about HiddenFunStuff as we already know about them.. so the only people making threads with dubious spoilerish titles are either those who are trolling or as I said earlier new players asking questions about it and not having the decency to spoiler their own posts.

And why do they not have the decency to? because they don't know to.

So either we tell them and seem like arses "Protecting the sanctity of spoilership!" or we can ignore it and let the new players ruin it for themselves.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 11:39:01 am »

With the way it's in the game now I see no reason to spoiler the presence of adamantine but the &s and the slade building should probably be a little less than shouted out from the mountaintops.

I don't see why we can't just say "hey congrats on finding that but can you edit your title so that other people have a chance to be surprised too?" Oh right, this is the internet.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4