Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: SPOILER statute of SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER  (Read 4114 times)

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER statute of SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 03:25:41 pm »

Circus terms for EVERYTHING. Getting the cotton candy out of the big top isn't easy with all the clowns. Once the first clown car empties the big top is open for all to see (with occasional clown stragglers.)
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 04:10:02 pm »

Yeah, u mad.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 04:28:16 pm »

I kinda have to agree with this.
I mean, I can kinda agree with SPOILERng new spoilerish stuff from new versions for a while(Like, say the demonic fortress) but after that, it really shouldn't be SPOILERed.
Adamantine shouldn't be SPOILERed at all nowdays IMO

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 05:25:35 pm »

"Oh cool adamnantine! Must be valuable. OH COOL LOOK HOW AWESOME THIS ADAMANTINE ARMOUR IS! I'm gonna get some mo- huh? What does that message mea-OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD" My reaction to first finding admamantine and then HFS.
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

• Bay Watcher
  • Dammit John.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 05:33:14 pm »

<REDACTED>

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 05:35:49 pm »

"CLOWNS OH GOD THE CLOWNS ARE EVERYWHERE!! EVEN MY COTTONCANDY ARMOUR CANT SAVE ME NOW!"
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 05:47:30 pm »

I don't care either way about the general idea of doing a spoiler warning about adamantine/demon related stuff but I think the way it's actually practiced is mostly retarded and doesn't actually protect anyone from being spoiled. The experience you're trying to protect for people isn't just finding out that they are actually called 'demons' rather than 'clowns'.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 06:09:12 pm »

And my new question is: Why do you care so much?

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 07:04:40 pm »

And my new question is: Why do you care so much?
Because it was 2am my time and almost every thread I'd read through in the preceding hour had someone pop in with a "helpful" "you should spoiler your title/post" and the lunacy of it started to get on my nerves. The tradition of calling it HFS and the whole clown thing is fine, but look through the threads from the viewpoint of someone who's legitimately new: even avoiding the *spoiler* threads you'd have to be several kinds of dense to not put together that HFS is: fort ending, deep, and FPS destroying. Add in mundane and non-spoiler references to demons that usurp human and goblin kingdoms and that's that. The thin gloss of spoiler protection is barely functional and the community at large has moved onto new and interesting challenges that directly engage hell, like colonizing it or sealing off the pits or whatever. The spoiler protection reminds me of this.

Also I disagree with the idea that hell is a cordoned off area of the game. Acquiring Adamantite is natural in the progression of the game, just as setting up forges are, and hell is the built-in hazard of harvesting adamantite. Even with full knowledge of what's down there it's dangerous because you don't know if a vein is solid or hollow unless you've used Reveal. That does mean you can ignore it if you want, but you can also ignore milking, glass, and textiles because of their complexity and that doesn't make them spoilers.

Lastly, the running joke of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is just that: a running joke. You don't pop into threads and tell people to "spoiler that" and expect to be taken seriously.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 07:08:35 pm »

You don't?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 07:30:51 pm »

If you do not like the behavior or practices of the community as a whole, stop trying to change the community.  Just take the extra half-second to
your posts and get on with life.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 08:46:51 pm »

JESUS DIES??????
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2010, 09:57:57 pm »

If you do not like the behavior or practices of the community as a whole, stop trying to change the community.  Just take the extra half-second to
your posts and get on with life.
Actually, I could turn this right around: if a sizable portion of the community isn't bothering to spoiler their crap, stop trying to change the community by telling them to spoiler their crap.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 10:00:26 pm »

Make a poll.
Make a poll with two options, one for if they do spoiler, and one for if they don't.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 12:49:21 am »

Here's a thought:

Since this game is sort of niche and has no official advertising, go look around at places that mention DF and see what they have to say about it. Count the number of times hell/demons/Moria is mentioned in an article, compared to how many engage in SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER or not mentioning said stuff.

I get that its a joke, and I know it's sort of a community tradition. It's still kind of silly to take it so seriously. Unless you're being intentionally silly.

And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4