Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Games that portray revolutions  (Read 4227 times)

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
Re: Games that portray revolutions
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 04:23:25 pm »

Hidden Agenda, Plumphelmentpunk did a let's play:
http://www.youtube.com/user/PlumpHelmetPunk#p/c/E861AA00EBB6DDDF
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 06:16:13 pm »

HA was excellent, I loved playing that. Tropico is another good one, although you're really supressing revolutions more than inciting ones. A few Arma II maps I played on TG had popular uprisings as the player-versus-player theme, with the uniformed military trying to supress civilians who dashed off in all directions for guns and ammo (or heroicly roleplayed going through a checkpoint, and inevitably got shot for their trouble).
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 07:19:32 pm »

Well I forgot to put lots on. Hidden Agenda is epic but its a little too far away from the action with it's gameplay being entirely composed of meetings. Solidarity might be just what I'm looking for but I can't actually play any games for 2-3 weeks. (when I get my new compy)

My dream game is a game played through entirely first person where you personally instigate a revolution. You pick your background and your countries background. Then you gather people together, convince them that the government is wrong and that you are right and proceed to wrest control of the government. You would then have to stay in power for long enough that your new government is recognized as an official government. All in complete first-person. Of course it doesn't exist. The closest thing to that is republic the revolution and as olemars said its drawback is that it's not very good.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 08:08:21 pm »

My dream game is a game played through entirely first person where you personally instigate a revolution. You pick your background and your countries background. Then you gather people together, convince them that the government is wrong and that you are right and proceed to wrest control of the government. You would then have to stay in power for long enough that your new government is recognized as an official government. All in complete first-person. Of course it doesn't exist. The closest thing to that is republic the revolution and as olemars said its drawback is that it's not very good.
Awesome, awesome idea. Although, isn't Liberal Crime Squad like that?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 08:18:31 pm »

Well I forgot to put lots on. Hidden Agenda is epic but its a little too far away from the action with it's gameplay being entirely composed of meetings. Solidarity might be just what I'm looking for but I can't actually play any games for 2-3 weeks. (when I get my new compy)

Mount and Blade after a few modifications.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 09:25:22 pm »

Liberal Crime Squad is like that but it has a bad combat system, you can only establish an elite-liberal government, it's graphics/interface are worse than DF's and it's altogether too limiting in terms of what you can do. I have basically the whole game worked out in my head but haven't quite taken the time to write it down. And I'm too tired to do that right now.

Also here's an awesome video that's not entirely off-topic. I just came across it while looking for games that portray the October Revolution. It's a complete history of the soviet union with a tetris theme. My favorite line is, "I am the one who arranges the blocks that are made by the men of Kazakhstan. They come two weeks late and they don't tessellate but we're working to Stalin's 5-year plan."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 09:29:59 pm »

Empire Earth had a quite a few campaigns and scenarios that basically revolved around leading revolutions against your corrupt home government.  The Russian campaign was basically about building a supervillain hideout country in near-future Eurasia, complete with guys with black cloaks and laserguns.  I think all the Age of Empires games had similar themes and scenarios.

Also here's an awesome video that's not entirely off-topic. I just came across it while looking for games that portray the October Revolution. It's a complete history of the soviet union with a tetris theme. My favorite line is, "I am the one who arranges the blocks that are made by the men of Kazakhstan. They come two weeks late and they don't tessellate but we're working to Stalin's 5-year plan."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

I find myself humming that tune at work a lot.  I stack boxes for a living.  I suspect there's a problem here.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 09:35:03 pm »

Republic was a game that let you pick your background and start a revolution. It is however just as slow and boring as starting a real one must be. I believe GOG had it for $4.99
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 09:35:58 pm »

I also hum this at work. I agree about the problem.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 09:46:21 pm »

The first 2 Red Factions and Just cause series?
And that faction in Mercenaries?

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 01:38:48 am »

While waaay removed from your dream game, I recall one of the CivIV overhaul mods (not sure how much vanilla allowed this) caused cities which were furious enough with you to splinter off after riots etc - I think you were given the choice of which nation to continue as while the other became a new AI - so playing as a revolution against the massive empire you founded was entirely possible.
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 01:42:40 am »

Empire Total War can have revolutions... It is incredably tough to play as the revolutionary though as it gives you a huge disadvantage (you lose all previous territory)

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 01:43:30 am »

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance

If you're into the tactical combat side of a revolution.  Or, it's more of a rebellion story with guerrillas and all that glamorous stuff, no politics.  It's not perfect and you have to like OFP to begin with or you'll hate it.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 10:03:12 am »

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance

If you're into the tactical combat side of a revolution.  Or, it's more of a rebellion story with guerrillas and all that glamorous stuff, no politics.  It's not perfect and you have to like OFP to begin with or you'll hate it.

I'll definitely be getting this when I get my new computer.

Empire Total War can have revolutions... It is incredably tough to play as the revolutionary though as it gives you a huge disadvantage (you lose all previous territory)

Ditto with this.

I tried to install this mod a while ago but it didn't work with Vanilla.
While waaay removed from your dream game, I recall one of the CivIV overhaul mods (not sure how much vanilla allowed this) caused cities which were furious enough with you to splinter off after riots etc - I think you were given the choice of which nation to continue as while the other became a new AI - so playing as a revolution against the massive empire you founded was entirely possible.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 10:24:35 am »

I guess you can throw in Jagged Alliance 2 in here. you may not control the country afterward but you do need to please the towns for support and gold.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4