Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Games that portray revolutions  (Read 4214 times)

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Games that portray revolutions
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:27:04 am »

Everyone loves a good revolution. Storm the palace, kill the government, name yourself emperor/czar/president/king. It's a fun concept for a game that's been underused. The games that I can think of are,

Victoria
Tropico
Republic the Revolution

Anyone know any others? The American civil war/revolution don't count as there are lots of games for those and I'd really like if someone said a game  portraying the October Revolution or a game that isn't Victoria with non-scripted revolutions.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Games that portray revolutions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:41:45 am »

There was a DOS game called "Solidarity", about (surprise!), the rise of Solidarity movement in Poland, and subsequent fall of PPR(Polish People's Republic).
The game was largely non-violent. You organised protests, printed leaflets and tried to avoid ZOMO(paramilitary-like police branch).
Anyway, a game about revolution of sorts.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:48:01 am »

Liberal crime squad.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:48:19 am »

Red Faction: Guerilla.

And yes. LCS.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 10:50:40 am »

There was a game a few years ago called "Republic" (or was it "Republik"?), which was all about staging a revolution in some random eastern bloc mini-country. It had the slight drawback of not being very good, but it looked pretty.

EDIT: Read fail, OP actually mentions this game :\
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:55:29 am by olemars »

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 10:53:48 am »

Yeah LCS is fun. I forgot to put it on my list. Red Faction looks good. Seems kind of mindless though. Also can you give me a link to something about Solidarity? It doesn't come up on google and sounds good.

Edit: The game your talking about olemars is called republic the revolution. It has it's flaws but I thought it was okay.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 10:54:33 am »

Fable 3 you usurp your brother from power.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 11:07:13 am »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 11:10:49 am »

Also can you give me a link to something about Solidarity? It doesn't come up on google and sounds good.
http://rapidshare.com/files/418832424/solidarnosc-game.zip
There you go. You might need Dosbox to run it:
http://www.dosbox.com

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 01:52:07 pm »

Halflife 2. Sort of at least.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 02:00:14 pm »

Freedom Fighters?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 02:06:25 pm »

Star Control 2?
Spoiler: Twice in that game (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 03:27:46 pm »

Well Victoria naturally leads to Europe Universalis and more games in that line. Other then that, Mechwarior 4: Vengeance and the first Ground Control incorporate revolution as their main plot line.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 04:02:11 pm »

There are a fair number of console RPGs that have a revolution as part of the plot (it's kind of a well-used theme in console RPGs). I'm currently replaying Ogre Battle 64 and revolution's a pretty big part of the plot right from the beginning. I'm not sure if Final Fantasy Tactics has a lot of revolution or if it's just a war between nations. I'm pretty sure it's revolution though. I'm sure people can come up with a list, but those are the two that jumped to mind for me.

Now if you wanted games where you had the ability to launch revolutions... well I guess the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games will let you do that if you're in the right position (you can declare independence from your parent nation if I remember right).
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 04:11:29 pm »

I'm not sure if Final Fantasy Tactics has a lot of revolution or if it's just a war between nations. I'm pretty sure it's revolution though. I'm sure people can come up with a list, but those are the two that jumped to mind for me.
Civil war, actually. Two princes, Larg and Goltana, are fighting over whose canditate for the empty throne gets it, allowing them to be named regent along with it. Oh, and a seperate demonic revival and religious crusade that's only loosely related to the war.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4