Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stairway to HFS  (Read 780 times)

Altairian_dollar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stairway to HFS
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:56:22 am »

(*Cue dramatic music*)

In fortress mode, I've successfully built a stairway all the way to the surface of the underworld. For some reason the demons decided to completely ignore me until I finished the stairs, upon which they all rushed them up to kill my dwarves. Maybe they were just in a very lazy mood. After all, why fly up a goddamn tunnel, when you can just as well wait for the dwarves to build some nice polished raw adamantine stairs for you. :D

My question is: has anyone else been able to do this? Did I achieve something unique, or something very ordinary? (If this is rare, I'm willing to share the map files.)

Because of all the demons in the way, I've yet to reach the stairs in adventure mode, but I'm working on it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:01:46 am by Altairian_dollar »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Stairway to HELL
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:00:10 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65024.0

Also, "Stairway to HFS" would be a better title. Some people haven't seen it yet and don't want it spoiled for them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stairway to HFS
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:51:28 am »

Most likely, you have several adamantine veins in your fort. When hell is breached, the demons spawn at the bottom of one of the adamantine veins, but it isn't necessarily the one you breached hell through. If it's a couple of screens away, it'll take a while for them to come over. It happened to me in one of the forts that tried to colonize hell, I managed to build a stair and thought that maybe I was home free before they suddenly appeared and raped every living thing :)

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:40:56 pm »

All these hfs posts spoilt this part of the game for me,i quickly learned it was there and after a bit of tunneling figured out how to breach it.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 05:49:10 pm »

There's a lady who's sure
A-LL that gliters it slade
And she's ca-rr-ving
A Stairway to HFS (Do-da-duh)
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 08:09:25 pm »

Quite a few people here have done it, I think. I have begun colonising HFS in my current fort, but the problem is all these annoying ankylosaurid demons that keep showing up (a pair appears every couple of minutes) and slaughtering my masons. I suppose a few well-armed squads constantly patrolling HFS would be enough to deal with them, but I can't be bothered figuring out how to set up patrols and stuff like that.