Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Razor-sharp magma  (Read 1958 times)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
Razor-sharp magma
« on: September 13, 2010, 05:14:06 am »

Apparently my magma isn't so much as hot as "made of large serrated discs" I haven't ever gotten a heat related death injury, instead getting "Urist McMelty has bled to death."
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Re: Razor-sharp magma
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 05:15:01 am »

Their parts melt off then their blood spills out. Magma doesn't cauterize in DF, so the wounds bleed profusely.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 06:24:04 am »

Are you running Genesis mod?

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:07:15 am »

Their parts melt off then their blood spills out. Magma doesn't cauterize in DF, so the wounds bleed profusely.
The most recent guy was trapped in a 7/7 square and bled to death.
Are you running Genesis mod?
no
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 09:10:07 am »

Magma seems to have some severe temperate transfer issues in version 0.31 - small creatures like dwarves will bleed to death once their fat melts off, but larger creatures will survive the first phase but then actually catch fire and finally die in the heat.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:25:30 am »

Magma seems to have some severe temperate transfer issues in version 0.31 - small creatures like dwarves will bleed to death once their fat melts off, but larger creatures will survive the first phase but then actually catch fire and finally die in the heat.

I've never had anything die in the heat. Which means no engravings of !!elves!!  ...which makes.me sad.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 10:06:38 am »

You could just mod their size up. If you're not directly fighting them it won't matter and if you are your dwarves will be dwarfier for stabbing larger elves to death.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 10:39:46 am »

I should also point out that while large creatures will eventually die in the heat, it can take upwards of 20 seconds (at 100fps).
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:33:39 pm »

Interestingly, the only thing I've seen not die from magma are undead. I had several arena zombies in magma for some time. They all burst into flames before long, but the only one that died was a zombie antman that got into a fight with a zombie whale.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 08:28:07 pm »

It's not really a problem with magma, it's that with the new material system, everything has a spec_heat value now.  It'll take time before something gets hot enough to ignite.   Fire has the same problem.  I've been using some !!Graphite blocks!! as an incinerator, and certain things last longer than others.  For example, wooden junk from the elves burns up long before hide roots even catch fire.  According to the material_template, the spec_heat for wood is 420 and plants is 3000.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 12:15:03 am »

The spec_heat of blood makes it wonderful insulation.  Get a couple of types of blood coating a wooden item, or a cloth shirt, etc, and it will last an impressively long time in magma.  It easily outlasts things like copper and silver (unless they're blood-coated as well, of course).  You can burn bloody cloth/wood while not melting copper (say, in a quantum-stockpile of invader droppings) by doing a slow heating (one 7/7 magma tile in a system that pumps magma onto the tile, lets it drop a couple z-levels, and then it gets caught by the pumps to restart the sequence), though even then it's easy to overdo it.  This also means having a bloody mess of weapon traps in front of your magma-traps winds up providing invaders with a fresh coating of anti-magma insulation ><

I haven't poked around the dwarf materials to be sure, but I suspect that this is the cause behind the way the dwarves die - the fat layers are first heat-accessible layer to reach a failure point (by virtue of their spec_heat, failure temperature, and construction of the body), leading to mass bleeding.  The blood would take much longer to heat up, and thus likely the dwarf is dead before the blood has reached boiling - also keeping anything thermally protected by blood from becoming vulnerable in any practical scenario.  Overall, very little in this version seems to !!burn!! - stuff gets destroyed by flame certainly, but very little of it seems to !!ignite!! before getting worn down to destruction, at least for me.

Also, it seems that 'burning' (!!stuff!!) and 'fire' (the "a fire" object seen on burning grass tiles) are treated differently.  Fire seems to be able to destroy contaminated cloth, leather, and wood items much more easily and quickly than 1/7-3/7 magma.  !!Burning!! objects seem to follow the same rules as magma does, but 'a fire' seems to use a different system.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 04:06:06 am »

The spec_heat of blood makes it wonderful insulation
So should I change the spec_heat to something lower, or will that make spontaneously combusting dwarfs?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 07:49:38 am »

The spec_heat of blood makes it wonderful insulation
So should I change the spec_heat to something lower, or will that make spontaneously combusting dwarfs?

Reducing spec_heat will only cause things to heat up or cool down more rapidly - it will not affect the temperature at which they melt, boil, ignite, or otherwise take damage (those are controlled by MELTING_POINT, BOILING_POINT, IGNITE_POINT, HEATDAM_POINT, and COLDDAM_POINT).

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 11:02:41 am »

Mod the elves into vampires. Make their blood boil at 90 degrees, and make it change temperature instantly. As soon as they walk ouside in the sunlight,their blood is heats up and boils inside their own veins instantaneously, then expands rapidly causing massive hemorrhaging. The escaping blood-vapor rips holes in their skin and rushes out, making elves swell up and pop like balloons.

Do this now. Armok demands elven blood-vapor.

While you're at it, make dwarven hearts pump sunshine. Only the finest.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.