Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan Questions  (Read 928 times)

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan Questions
« on: September 13, 2010, 03:20:18 am »

A: Can caravans be destroyed before they reach your map? I have only seen 1 human caravan in 7 years, and 3 elven ones, all of which were destroyed within 30 seconds of entering the map except the human one, which i managed to save so they ran away :/
Dwarves sent one every year until year 5, and they've not sent one since. All of these civilizations are still alive, as far as I know.

B: If A is a yes, am I held responsible for their destruction?

C: Do caravans enter the map from the same place every time? If they do i can just work towards building a tunnel to those spots to better protect them.

D: If d is a no, is there a method of editting the raws that will make caravans extremely powerful that will not actually affect anything else? Maybe giving them 20+ champion guards in masterwork bismuth bronze or adamantine for the dwarves or something?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 03:40:14 am »

Controling the direction Caravans come from is more difficult in 0.31  due to the bug stopping Wagons from being used. It used to be that by digging or building a Path that never allowed anything bigger then 2 tiles wide to pass out or into it, the wagon caravans would appear INSIDE that path as long as no other possible paths were accessable. Now with Caravans lacking the wagons and only bringing pack animals, you COULD build a path using Upright Bridges as walls near the maps edge, but invaders and ambushes will take that path aswell...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:41:02 am »

Controling the direction Caravans come from is more difficult in 0.31  due to the bug stopping Wagons from being used. It used to be that by digging or building a Path that never allowed anything bigger then 2 tiles wide to pass out or into it, the wagon caravans would appear INSIDE that path as long as no other possible paths were accessable.
The thing is, even though wagons no longer appear, caravans still follow this rule.  If there is a path 3 tiles wide from your Trade Depot to the map edge, caravans will always appear on this path, even if the caravan has no wagons.  You can still use this method to control where caravans appear on the map edge in DF2010.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 07:42:52 am »

Controling the direction Caravans come from is more difficult in 0.31  due to the bug stopping Wagons from being used. It used to be that by digging or building a Path that never allowed anything bigger then 2 tiles wide to pass out or into it, the wagon caravans would appear INSIDE that path as long as no other possible paths were accessable.
The thing is, even though wagons no longer appear, caravans still follow this rule.  If there is a path 3 tiles wide from your Trade Depot to the map edge, caravans will always appear on this path, even if the caravan has no wagons.  You can still use this method to control where caravans appear on the map edge in DF2010.
Odd, cause I remember it NOT working like that last time, they came onto the map like the elves do...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:27:15 am »

anyway, since i cant get caravans and therefore can't raise my exported wealth and therefore never get migrants, i turned dwarven birth control off.

How do i get dwarves to make babies? there's plenty of alcohol and a 1 tile meeting space, but nothing is going on.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 08:47:51 am »

Odd, cause I remember it NOT working like that last time, they came onto the map like the elves do...
Correct, they do come onto the map like elves do.  If there is a 3 tile wide path that can reach your depot, elven caravans will appear on that path, even though elves don't use wagons.  This was true in 40d and is still true in DF2010.  I have built multiple fortresses in both 40d and DF2010 that use this feature to force caravans to appear in a specific safe spot.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.