Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project Smegma  (Read 1190 times)

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Project Smegma
« on: September 12, 2010, 11:10:47 pm »

Introducing: Project SMEGMA

That's right, the Solid Magma Efficient Goblinite Manufacturing Apparatus

What did you think this would be about?  8)

By combining Fenwah's 1-way floors with a basic obsidian farm, I have a machine that can capture an entire invading force of goblins, incinerate their useless fleshy/clothy/leathery husks, and deliver that sweet, useful metal directly to my workshops area.

Screenshot:
Invaders are trapped on the bridge by the one-way doors. The magma reservoir above is filled, then the invaders are dropped 3 levels to my workshop area. Magma is dropped on top of them. Water is pumped in from 1 level above, forming obsidian, and any excess water overflows. The bottom level bridge is lowered and miners move in to harvest obsidian and goblinite.

Now that it's built, I see it's really not all that efficient; while it's almost dwarfproof (there's no timing-critical levers to pull), there's a lot of levers and the distinct possibility of flooding the inside of the fort with margma/invaders/both. And pumping magma all the way to the surface just to drop it down again seems a bit silly dwarven. I'd love to see something that drops invaders/merchants down a 100z vertical shaft to the magma sea, and incinerate them there.

edit: pic not working? can I attach a jpg or do I have to upload it first?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:20:45 pm by Larry421 »

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Smegma
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 11:15:15 pm »

You have to upload it to imageshack or something

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 11:37:49 pm »

Err... I think you should google your project first.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 11:42:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure they know. I have a feeling that the views/posts ratio is going to skyrocket in this thread.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 01:31:24 am »

I don't understand those tilesets :(.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 01:38:46 am »

enclose the url in [ img ] http://whatever [ /img] tags instead of [ url ] http://whatever [ /url] tags, and the image will appear in the spoiler.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 01:48:44 am »

Isn't everything obliterated when it's encased in obsidian, meaning you can't retrieve the metal?

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:46:38 am »

Isn't everything obliterated when it's encased in obsidian, meaning you can't retrieve the metal?

Nope. There may be a case where [copper boot] turns to [molten copper], and I think it disappears then. But as long as you don't take too long between magmafying and watering, it works. Just reclaim and melt.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:49:27 am »

Err... I think you should google your project first.
*dies laughing*

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 12:03:55 pm »

I'm sure there's a Red Dwarf joke in here somewhere.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!