Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pregenned Large Islands/Regions  (Read 861 times)

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
Pregenned Large Islands/Regions
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:50:43 pm »

Anyone have a system capable of genning Large islands/regions. I can run them on my system but it always seems to takes between 3-5hours to gen mine due to "Not Responding" and loss of CPU focus.

It'd be nice if someone could help me fix my DF with this "Loss of focus" or if anyone is feeling kind sticking up some pregenned worlds that skip the genning sequence for me.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Pregenned Large Islands/Regions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:59:05 pm »

You have a really shitty computer. I can gen large worlds in ten minutes tops. Once I re-vanillafy my raws, I'll gen you some.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:04:31 pm »

sure. I can gen a large world in 5 minutes or so. any worldgen specs?

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 04:10:57 am »

sure. I can gen a large world in 5 minutes or so. any worldgen specs?

Just the defaults is fine for me, many thanks Eagle. 3-5 hour large gens is stupid.  Any idea what can fix it? I know its not down to rejections as I just left it genning a map over night and it succeeded.

@ Imrik:

Quadcore 3.66ghz, 4Gbram ATI57501GB, is far from "shitty" so keep your insults to yourself before jumping to conclusions. ive always had this issue with DF on this computer , my old P4 genned large quicker than 1hour. Which is leading me to believe this is a "loss of focus" issue between DF and windows, which is losing DF cpu cycles thus slowing down generation of larges (only).

Edit: Just started genning another Large World and it does seem to be a communication issue. CPU is idling between 0% and 25% during creation. Memory is consistent at 2Gb.
Gonna try genning a world using the basic ASCII version of DF. (Currently tried Mayday & Ironhand during gen)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:33:49 am by Xzalander »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 04:31:59 am »

With default settings, if it is taking you 3-5 hours to gen a world, tbh you are probably much better off running a medium sized map rather than large - you'll find it takes MUCH less time than you expect (around 10% of the time of a large map, rather than 1/4th).

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 04:36:37 am »

With default settings, if it is taking you 3-5 hours to gen a world, tbh you are probably much better off running a medium sized map rather than large - you'll find it takes MUCH less time than you expect (around 10% of the time of a large map, rather than 1/4th).

I agree with you here and normally I do gen mediums or if Im after a quick game Pocket Islands, but this was one occassion where I felt I'd gen a Large Region (Also due to my older machine genning them in around 20-30minutes), so theres clearly an issue here somewhere. Just need to figure out whether its a compatability issue or a hardware/software issue.

Also Imik when you say you can gen Large worlds that quickly you on 2010 or 40d?

Just ran the World gen for large isles on the default ascii version... quick as lightning.. Im guessing its just tilesets causing video lag..
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:44:54 am by Xzalander »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 05:54:52 am »

That's really unlikely, copy your world_gen.txt from the version that ran so quickly to the problematic one and see if it runs any differently.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 06:23:18 am »

It should not take that long to gen a region.  My PC's slower and it only takes about 10-30~ minutes to gen a large world, even with custom parameters, IIRC.  Tried reinstalling DF?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 06:37:00 am »

It should not take that long to gen a region.  My PC's slower and it only takes about 10-30~ minutes to gen a large world, even with custom parameters, IIRC.  Tried reinstalling DF?

Fresh install of entire pc due to bootup corruption. Changing world_gen.txt hasnt changed anything. Its not much of an issue. I can gen them in the ascii version and then move the save to the tileset one.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 10:08:02 am »

I have this same problem. In particular, during the generation of world history it stops responding every 20 minutes or so for 10 minutes. Makes it really frustrating.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 10:40:49 am »

I have this same problem. In particular, during the generation of world history it stops responding every 20 minutes or so for 10 minutes. Makes it really frustrating.

Aye this is exactly where it freezes up on me. An occassional freeze I could understand but it will freeze, tick over one, maybe two years and then freeze again.