Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Give me a nightmare.  (Read 4743 times)

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
Re: Give me a nightmare.
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 05:33:14 pm »

I keep on trying to empty my aquifers. Is that even possible?
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

Randomtask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 05:47:11 pm »

ITT: An elf pretends to be a dwarf.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 05:55:06 pm »

I keep on trying to empty my aquifers. Is that even possible?

No, aquiferous tile just produce water ad vitam eternam. You can pump it faster than they produce it, and pump it back into the same aquifer tough.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 09:35:43 pm »

I have EXACTLY what you need. I'm playing on it right now, in fact. According to the finder, there's flux somewhere in there, and I suppose there's a good chance one of the cavern layers will provide the necessary water. Other than that, all is present: Magma, Sand, Skeletal Giant Eagles, No Aquifer, All Civs, 2x2 embark.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3107

There it is. Go and dig, and see whether there's flux, fuel and water in there or not.

OH MAN, this is PERFECT!

Brutal and positively wonderful!  And so flat I momentarily had 2d flashbacks.  =D

This is perhaps one of the cruelest embarks ever, too.  Within seconds I lost two dwarves to a skeletal eagle, then when trying to rush a magma forge up, a fire imp finished me off.  I didn't make it to summer!
I LOVE IT!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 07:37:00 pm »

Glad to be of service. If you tried my save game, you'll have noticed I attempted to go with the make-your-own-steel-pick kit at embark. Got raped by the eagles by the time I had my bar of steel.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 11:40:26 pm »

I abandoned and reclaimed.  I *always* make my own party carefully.

It took a few attempts but I have a fortress going now.  Let me just say that breaching the underground cavern is no less viscious than giant skeletal eagles.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 10:47:34 am »

You even get a free bag with every purchase of sand!

No you don't; you're paying for the bag.  Sand only costs 1 (see at embark); usually a sand purchase costs, in my experience, 21 or 41, which would be mostly the bag.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 04:10:20 pm »

In case anyone's interested, I might have a new nightmare map. This time it's Wild/Terrifying/Wild Desert/Ocean/Swamp, with Aquifers that can be avoided by digging through the swamps first.

It's a little less risky than my 31.12 version, due to the terrifying terrain being in the Ocean rather than on land, and there's definitely some (salt) water, and the dwarven home civilisation will trade fuel (that the .12 version might have lacked.). No Volcano on the embark, though (But lots on the overworld). But there's always the magma sea, so some happy digging can resolve this.

Any takers?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 02:13:40 pm »

with Aquifers that can be avoided by digging through the swamps first.
How does that make any sense? Avoid aquifers by digging through a swamp...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 11:42:15 pm »

We're playing DF dude.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 01:10:04 am »

with Aquifers that can be avoided by digging through the swamps first.
How does that make any sense? Avoid aquifers by digging through a swamp...
Well, you see, the aquifer heads over to where the swamp is, but sees it already has water there, so it goes over to annoy the dwarves in the forest instead. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 01:15:51 am »

i have to agree, those parameters are way too tame to be a 'nightmare'. besides which, the wiki has an interesting challenge section.
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 03:56:50 am »

We need a non-freezing terrifying biome with 3-5 layers of soil aquifer and no surface trees, with your embark points severely limited.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 04:11:17 am »

What's the problem with aquifers? They're awesome.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 04:34:03 am »

DF Masters 2 had a rather cruel Embark; Muckgrotto, an Evil Saltwater Marsh (not the undead kind of Evil either) with a double Aquifer, surrounding a Magma Pit. The players were poorly equipped for the environment (due to going in blind), and packs of angry beakdogs, harpys, and angry clods of strangling vegetation stormed the dwarves from without, while Imps and Magma Men stormed them from within. There was no water but stagnant salty pools either.

It was rather Fun, overall.
Pages: 1 [2]