Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Give me a nightmare.  (Read 4739 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Give me a nightmare.
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:07:03 pm »

After getting bored with goblins and being able to successfully hold back (but not conquer) HFS, I have grown bored.  Adamantine does not go far with only six ingots.

Now, I want the nightmare to begin immediately.  I'm trying to generate such a map myself, but so far I have been wildly unsuccessful.  Maybe one of you can help (or already has) the ultimate in Dwarf brutality?

Requirements:
Sand
Magma (sea is fine)
Flux Stone (small quantity is fine)
Endless water (brook, lake, river, or underground) [If the map freezes over, it must have an underground source.]
No aquifer
Terrifying map with lots of *real* bad things, like ogres or nightwings or something garunteed to make my first month a mad dash for entrenching the wagon.  Hordes of bad undead also work.
6-tile or under map (3x2 or less) [For FPS reasons]
All civs (except maybe elf, they're optional.)  [This can be a curse, as the humans inevitable declare war as they are slaughtered]

Go ahead.  I challenge you to give me a map that is positively crippling but not unjust.  The kind of map where you start with a miner, farmer, and five well-armed soldiers to survive the first year.  *maybe*

So far, all i've got are puny skeletal marmots or a desert with little activity.  I need a zombie holocaust!

Seed #s and params, or map uploads are fine. (I may need a tutorial on how to use the params)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Give me a nightmare.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:17:44 pm »

You sound more like you're talking about Fortress Mode than Adventure Mode.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:20:51 pm »

The problem is that currently no map is really crippling unless you limit yourself. Survive on the surface with a terrifying glacier map without engaging in any farming. Even that is doable, though more difficult.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 11:07:27 pm »

What's wrong with aquifers?

Also, why are you asking for a "nightmare" and then adding a bunch of caveats to make things easier?  Isn't that counter-productive to creating a challenge for yourself?

I can understand not wanting to be "crippled in the long run" by a lack of flux stone, but you can request flux, steel, and pigiron from the dwarven caravan, and you can also trade with everybody for bags of sand.  You even get a free bag with every purchase of sand!

But seriously, do you want a challenge or do you not?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 11:12:43 pm »

Make big animals very common. Embark in a terrifying biome. Fight off zombie elephants (embark on the ocean to deal with skeletal whales)
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 12:07:53 am »

Or, check out the modding subforum. There are several mods (including my own Orc mod) that will get invaders coming in earlier than the rather sedate goblins. If that's not fast enough, progress trigger 1 for trade will likely be your first winter.

Plus, as has been mentioned, any kind of map with skeletal/zombie large creatures. Try an undead sinister/haunted jungle (for herds of undead elephants, since terrifying tends to just throw single large predators at you), especially on a 2x2 map (to reduce reaction time). Getting a map that gives you elephants rather than marmots is at least partially a matter of luck, but genning the maps isn't especially difficult.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 02:32:26 am »

I'd also like to recommend the Fortress Defense Mod in my sig, for which five fully-armored soldiers are literally recommended for the first year.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 02:42:01 am »

you sound like you're too lazy to learn the worldgen parameters by phrasing this as a challenge to provide you with the ideal embark.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 03:21:35 am »

Genesis mod makes gobbo's (Demon's in the mod) ambush at the 2nd caravan and makes them more powerful. There are also Illithid which are extremely powerful civ creatures.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 06:12:04 am »

I have one where there are skeletal elephants roaming all over. The VERY first thing that i did was build a 15 x 15 wooden wall, (quickest) which we only just got finished before they started to charge. WE only lost one initial dwarf. The first two waves of migrants got annihilated. So we have six hungary, freezing sad dwarves hiding from giant horror and certain death in a tiny wooden compound, trying to dig themselves a little home.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 06:29:36 am »

I have one where there are skeletal elephants roaming all over. The VERY first thing that i did was build a 15 x 15 wooden wall, (quickest) which we only just got finished before they started to charge. WE only lost one initial dwarf. The first two waves of migrants got annihilated. So we have six hungary, freezing sad dwarves hiding from giant horror and certain death in a tiny wooden compound, trying to dig themselves a little home.
This sounds like a tale worthy of a full write-up and screenshots.  How long can you survive in that hole?  Can you raise an entire new clan in isolation?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 08:51:23 am »

Sup, you rang?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 11:01:40 am »

I have EXACTLY what you need. I'm playing on it right now, in fact. According to the finder, there's flux somewhere in there, and I suppose there's a good chance one of the cavern layers will provide the necessary water. Other than that, all is present: Magma, Sand, Skeletal Giant Eagles, No Aquifer, All Civs, 2x2 embark.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3107

There it is. Go and dig, and see whether there's flux, fuel and water in there or not.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 11:39:50 am »

Recommend an evil ocean next to an evil jungle, and an aquifer just for kicks.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 04:46:51 pm »

OH NO NOT AN AQUIFER

Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.
Pages: [1] 2