Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fixing Whips and Scourges  (Read 2592 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fixing Whips and Scourges
« on: September 12, 2010, 08:06:52 pm »

I want to adjust my raws to make whips and scourges more reasonable.

1.  How exactly should I alter the raws?  (I'm assuming broadening the contact area.)

2.  Editing those in the raws won't require a new worldgen, will it?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing Whips and Scourges
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 08:44:04 pm »

Its hard to tell what you want to alter about them, but ill guess you want to make them weaker? Try giving it an edged attack and a very low contact/penetration area. Reducing size can also weaken it.

And yeah fortunately it doesnt require a regen. Just make sure you edit the saves raws and not the general ones.

You might want to ask these things in the modding forum though.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:15:03 pm »

Massively reduce their weight, make scourges blunt. That's really the only way to model them more accurately at the moment.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 10:18:25 pm »

Its hard to tell what you want to alter about them, but ill guess you want to make them weaker? Try giving it an edged attack and a very low contact/penetration area. Reducing size can also weaken it.

Conversely, I suggest you give them a larger contact area/penetration size and somewhat lower velocity. It won't be perfect, but it might help.

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 10:21:38 pm »

If my understanding of whips/scourge/flail is correct, you want to reduce wait, and velocity, and increase contact area, that way they can't jackhammer so much as Mallet.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 02:07:21 am »

The problem isn't in the raws, it's in things that aren't modeled. Since the weapons are flexible, you shouldn't have the full weight behind the blows, only that of the striking tip. Changing the usable material from metal to leather would also appear reasonable, at least for whips.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 02:39:26 am »

After screwing around with whips, and scurges today i found the easiest solution is to set velocity to somewhere between 200-300, i believe at 200 they tend to deflect off armour constantly but eventually you'll get bruisings and after hundreds of hits the target will bleed to death, at above 300 they bash through armour better than hammers and will win every time..
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 03:03:02 am »

There is a reason whips make a cracking sound - their velocity should be very high. Otherwise we may as well admit 'forget simulation, let's use a gamey combat model'. Which would make the game lose some geek appeal.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 03:37:03 am »

I think that for realistic modeling, they should have very low weight but high velocity. I don't know what that does in the game, though.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 05:25:54 am »

There is a reason whips make a cracking sound - their velocity should be very high. Otherwise we may as well admit 'forget simulation, let's use a gamey combat model'. Which would make the game lose some geek appeal.
The effect is what's important. Having hte method be exact would be ideal, but the current system does not allow it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 05:48:05 am »

Have you ever felt a leather whip?
Hurts like hell.
Try a silver whip.
Hurts even more.
Besides, a copper whip can shove the skull into the brain of a creature, slaying it.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 05:53:36 am »

it takes roughly one thousand lashes from a cat of nine tails to kill a bound, unarmored human.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 06:11:38 am »

well anyway, with the whip velocity at 200 at least hammerdorfs can kill them, but they tend to still win against everything else 1vs 1. so at least they aren't combat breaking, unlike arrows =/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 11:08:20 am »

it takes roughly one thousand lashes from a cat of nine tails to kill a bound, unarmored human.
Cat 'o nine tails is not a weapon designed for use in combat; it's designed and used for punishment.

Regarding whips, flails and scourges, whips and scourges should have very low weight, very low contact area and very high velocity and should count as blunt weapons; so make the scourge a blunt weapon (it's currently coded as an edged weapon for no apparent reason) and reduce both of their weights to be more realistic. For flails, I don't really see what is the issue with them. They've got average weight, high contact area (for a blunt weapon), high velocity and good penetration depth (for a blunt weapon). They look like they should be worse than war hammers and maces pretty much straight out.

Have people been having issues with flails? I thought it was just whips and scourges that were laser-guided killing machines.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 12:28:02 pm »

Quite frankly, I am unsure as to why we have whips as weapons at all. Is there any historic basis in weapons used as a mainstay weapon in armies? My own, rather lacking, history knowledge only speaks of whips (of all kinds) as a method of punishment, not combat.
Pages: [1] 2 3