Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: becoming an adult  (Read 1791 times)

blainemono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
becoming an adult
« on: September 12, 2010, 03:35:19 pm »

Right now when dwarven child enters adulthood, he is greeted with this message, "Urist McSnotnose has grown to become a Peasant", and I can tell you, after twelve long years of keeping the little bastard alive this is kind of a downer. How about making it a little bit fancier? Like, make his/her parents throw a party? Probably with some rites of passage. A Bar Mitzvah sort of thing, but all about consuming ungodly amounts of alcohol and passing out under the table, dwarves being dwarves and all.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: becoming an adult
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 03:36:35 pm »

A Bar Mitzvah sort of thing, but all about consuming ungodly amounts of alcohol and passing out under the table, dwarves being dwarves and all.

So, life as usual then?

blainemono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 03:44:30 pm »

So, life as usual then?

Actually, I've never seen a dwarf throwing up in his beard and passing out inside the empty barrel.

Civilized little buggers, dwarves.

Bit of a shame, that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 04:53:31 pm »

So basically an adulthood party. Common is just about all cultures.

The problem is the way the game is built right now people generally don't like anything that stops dwarves from working so I am not sure how these parties would coincide with player demand.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 05:15:11 pm »

Well... this is a fantasy simulator after all, I'm confident this sort of thing could develop.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 05:20:01 pm »

Well... this is a fantasy simulator after all, I'm confident this sort of thing could develop.

Well in Fortress mode people want dwarves to be less people and more mindless robots.

I mean... imagine the outrage if 1/4th of a dwarve's time was spent doing things like... Hanging out, playing instruments, and otherwise free time.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 09:27:55 pm »

Maybe as a coming-of-age ceremony they get assigned one Hunter job, where they have to go outside the caves and hunt down some surface creature and bring it back for butchery.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 12:21:21 am »

Or take it a step further and they have to accomplish something in their chosen profession. This could accomplish a few things:
1. they arent a peasant afterwards
2. give them a head start on skill points
3. possibly create some sort of rare (but non legendary) item.

This may end up getting solved by guilds anyway, but I like the idea of some sort of rite of passage to mark the occasion of being lucky enough not to be drowned or eaten in the first 12 years.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 01:47:06 am »

Or how about when children reach adulthood, they get one random skill and one random social, picked from their parent's skills. And if their parents have multiple points in a skill, they get multiple chances to get that skill.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 04:38:27 am »

id prefer children to get a skillset based on the observations they made

for example if a child wals around and sees a soap factory in full force all the time, he should get a few of the skills used as he walked by

and additionally all the skills he trained freely

and maybe if there are toys the skills that the toys represent (playing with mini forge for example)

that would be awesome

the problem with parents giving over skills is that the parents are not really like parents in humans real life... dwarven children are in a way part of a family but the settlement has a far more prominent location on the social stances then "mere" parenthood... children often are far away from parents the biggest amount of the day

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 06:14:54 am »

I'de rather have dwarf children be part of their family; it's a healthy perspective. It also would make for families passing down their
trade from generation to generation, another interesting thing. And for the OCD types, it gives a reason for arranging marriages.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:35:20 am by AngleWyrm »

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 06:59:47 am »

At the age of twelve there thrown out of the fortress and have to kill a wild beast before they can rejoin the community. ::)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 07:14:35 am »

Too Spartan for ya?

Yammo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 09:09:40 am »

...and additionally all the skills he trained freely...

...and maybe if there are toys the skills that the toys represent (playing with mini forge for example)...

For what it is worth, (i.e probably not a whole lot), I really like these ideas. :P

I usually never produce toys, but knowing the kiddies might grow up knowing a trade, might
make me consider flooding the fortress with "wonderful toys". ;)  Perhaps, if no toys are
around to keep the kids imagination "active", there might even be a risk that the kid grows
up with some sort of social dysfunction, (e.g unimaginative, shy, quick to anger, etc.)

Perhaps they could even, with toy swords or such, help keeping those pesky rats and
spiders at bay, while learning some basics of swinging a weapon. :P

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 02:53:37 am »

Anything that makes parties more interesting, or gives them actual meaning makes them less of a waste of time, and more the highlight of the game, which is what they should be.

We should be happy that our economy can support leisure, not bummed about lost production of ryolite crowns.

As parties get more awesome (and the currently useless treasures are used by them) players will be less concerned with producing volumes of useless treasures.

Make better parties, not more parties.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.
Pages: [1] 2