Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to start a new fort but....  (Read 1282 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to start a new fort but....
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:50:16 pm »

I keep getting put off the game for the same reason every time.

Let me elaborate. My first real succesful fotress was quite enjoyable, and promised to become a marvel of a city. Sadly though it died less then halfway in construction due to fps.
Now fps death isn't the problem I want to point out right now. I have a quad core so naturally it's not that good at running DF. Anyway after the fps death I gave the game a break for a while until I have inspiration for a new fort.

And I did try a few new forts. I've got a nice design in mind wich will surely make for an epic fortress. Yet everytime the same problem: Immigrants.
They just come to quickly to many. You have a fort of 6 dwarves then suddenly there's 50 of the buggers.
Managing all those new dwarves is such a pain esepcially if your fortress is still young and the industry is still starting up. There's to many freaking dwarves!  :o

So I don't know I thought I'd throw a suggestion out there on the whole immigrant problem. Well for me atleast it's a problem I don't know about the rest of you guys.
What if the amount of immigrants in an immigrant wave was related to the amount of dwarves you already have? Let's for example have an immigrant wave bring 1/5 rounded up of your current population as immigrants.
The population of your fortress would then go up exponentialy instead of the crazy linear increase right now.
P=P0*1.2^w Where P is population P0 starting population (7 right?) and W the number if immigrant waves passed.

I think an increase like this would be far easier to manage, especially in the start of your fortress. That and it doesn't make much sense that a band of 7 dwarves would encourage the whole 10 immigrants to migrate. Lots of people go to big cities, only some carve out a home in an outpost far away from home right?

P.S. thought I'd do a bit of calculating, after a year of every season an immigrant wave your population would be twice as much as you started with. Sounds reasonable no? That would make it 4 to 5 years or so to get a population of 200 I'd say roughly. For me a number like that could work, I'd go for even slower maybe!

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to start a new fort but....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 01:58:59 pm »

You know that you DON'T have to accept all beggars migrants that come to your door? You can, for example:
- seal yourself off from the surface completely (but not trading for you then)
- assign them to a burrow that is in a Fun place (atomsmasher, drowning chamber, lava parlor, retracting bridge over spike pit)
- assign them to a burrow that is outside, to starve and/or get raped by gobbos

I'm sure you can find plenty of interesting ways to keep your population stable...

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 02:02:55 pm »

You could always just lower the population cap and raise it as necessary.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 02:05:05 pm »

Turn them all into haulers. For added convenience, use DwarfTherapist.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 02:13:19 pm »

Draft them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 02:17:21 pm »

Turn them all into haulers. For added convenience, use DwarfTherapist.
This, most definitely.  The moment migrants appear, refresh DT, sort by migration wave and you can easily and simply check the skills and labours of all your new victims.  It makes dealing with migrant waves largely hassle-free.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 02:56:22 pm »

I simply can't bring myself to kill those innocent dwarves! I know I'm not very dwarfy, I hardly kill anything I don't have to. I even often take a liking to many of the monstrous cute titans I manage to capture and contain.
Killing dwarves...I can't do that  :(

Dzenaiya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 03:03:08 pm »

Set the population cap to 5 instead of 200. That prevents immigration from happening... after the first outpost liason leaves. You'll still have the first year's immigration to handle but it should keep you from having 75 dwarves by the middle of your second year.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 03:10:47 pm »

Hmm. Immigrants... yes, they come in far too vast numbers. Having twenty dwarves show up at first immigration and tripling your population is just plainly not fair. What I think I will do will follow these rules:

All jobs will have two dwarves that specialize in that job. If there isn't, an immigrant will specialize in that job. Miners and Craftsdwarves get three.
There will also be two haulers for every job.
And finally, five immigrants will be used for the military, and five immigrants to fill useless noble positions.

That equals a fortress population of: 54 Dwarves. Any future migrants will be turned into [miasma].

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 06:43:43 pm »

Those dwarves are most certainly not innocent, even the children...

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 07:14:23 pm »

Build a pyramid and fill it up with the blood of migrants. I got a "Blacklung" mod from somewhere on this forum. Anyway if a miner is exposed to coke dust they get blacklung and they start coughing up blood until they suffocate, put them into the pyramid and you'll have a swimming pool open in no time.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 08:10:46 pm »

Setting the pop cap unfortunately does not let you control the size of immigrant waves- it just sets the point they stop coming.

Now, I put them to work dumping stone near my mason/craft/mechanic workshops. Not all the stone in the fortress mind you, just a hallway or so when I have a lot of idle dwarves. Likewise everyone without a useful skill gets most of the farming labors enables so I can harvest plants in huge swatches of whatever layers they grow on. This tends to keep food practical at the small to big population transitions.
Plus they'll never get fey moods and pull up an artifact turnip- no moods for any food production skills.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 08:30:13 pm »

What if the amount of immigrants in an immigrant wave was related to the amount of dwarves you already have? Let's for example have an immigrant wave bring 1/5 rounded up of your current population as immigrants.
The population of your fortress would then go up exponentialy instead of the crazy linear increase right now.
P=P0*1.2^w Where P is population P0 starting population (7 right?) and W the number if immigrant waves passed.

You should post this in the Limits on immigration wave size thread in the suggestions forum. If it gets enough traction, then someone will add an item to the eternal suggestions page.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:00:31 pm by AngleWyrm »