Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More than one "Idle Dwarf" number  (Read 924 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More than one "Idle Dwarf" number
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:22:39 pm »

I don't mind having some idle haulers standing around.  Sometimes I just don't need their help.  But I often want to know when my skilled dwarves have run out of work, so that I queue up more workshop orders, designate more digging, or set more linkages to levers.

So it would be great to have more than one number for idle dwarves.  In a simple version, the game could give a number for idle dwarves with any hauling skill enabled, and another number for idle dwarves with no hauling skills enabled.  A more complete version would allow you to put dwarves in groups to control their presentation on the (u) screen, and then have a separate idle number for each group.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:19:39 pm by Leonidas »

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More than one "Idle Dwarf" number
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 01:32:21 pm »

I guess you have a point; it could either be a mod, or an init option.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:52:19 pm »

It might be better to add an option in the pref screen of a dwarf. This would mark dwarf as "important" which would be usefull for all kinds of additional stuff.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:34:30 am »

I'm thinking that it would be great if we could make groups of dwarves, similar to squads, but instead just call them workgroups or something. They wouldn't stick together, but you'd be able to do a lot more with them, such as restrict workshops, ask for a specific dwarf to do something (kill off the migrant instead of the mason, etc.), and of course this.

I'm thinking of just sticking the idle counters on top, and also sticking them somewhere else, like an idle list, maybe within the status or units list. A list of idling dwarves would be great, actually.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:26:31 am »

That's a great word for this: Workgroups.  They're like squads, but for civilians.  Or they're like burrows, but not automatically tied to geography.  Workgroups could just be an abstract way of bundling dwarves into groups, and then you could manipulate the whole group: assign the whole group to a burrow, change the whole group's work orders, etc.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 04:37:41 am »

That is a great idea.  It would make it much easier to draft a team of specialized masons or smiths for a top-priority project, especially if it overwrites previous labors until adjusted or discharged from the squad.  Much better than waiting for them to get around to doing what I want (and without having the hassle of adjusting labors manually, no less).

On the uniform front, you could also have custom uniforms for different work groups and social classes...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 06:10:41 am »

These workgroups would be great but if they are added it should be passble to assign dwarfs to mulitple workgroups.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.