Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: This,Good sir is madness  (Read 2502 times)

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This,Good sir is madness
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 07:06:05 am »

That seems... odd

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 07:17:45 am »

It's how the material properties are currently. Yes, there's a lot of inconsistency.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 08:17:04 am »

According to a thread in the forum menacing spikes made of glass are rather good,
but I didnīt test it yet, so I cannot confirm it.
As for all other trap components...
as the others already said...as effective as skin :D

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 08:37:20 am »

(If I recall correctly) Glass has an uninitialized MAX_EDGE, meaning that it is effectively random each time you load the game.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 04:06:36 pm »

Glass weapon traps are great for "dogde to your death/prison!" traps. See the thread(s) about the self-pitting goblin/creature traps. Glass weapons fill those traps to "encourage" hostiles passing through the trap to dodge. When combined with pits on either side of the trap, you get self-pitting goblins.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 05:27:34 pm »

Ever seen Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?
"The penitent man will kneel... the penitent man will *click* WHOA!"
Yeah, that's weapon traps in action.  Floor/ceiling/wall/whatever erupts with ten serrated discs [or whatnot] that slice out and massacre the poor fool who triggered it.  If they don't drag part or all of the body with them and jam, they immediately reset to be used again.  It's only ranged weapons - bows, crossbows, and blowguns - that are more like bolt/arrow/dart launchers and need reloading.

Giant Serrated Disk

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 08:33:22 pm »

Large, serrated <metal> disc
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 09:42:08 pm »

if you dont want to use up metal, just drop rocks on them, or drown them, or cage them, or incinerate them
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 04:35:37 am »

Dropping rocks was found to be ineffective in DF2010, though still usable if you had lots and lots of them. Now, dropping ceilings on them via cave-ins is an entirely different matter. Atomsmashing and obsidianising them are more exquisite options, as is flash-freezing them if you're in the right biome. Big points if you get a forgotten beast with deadly blood and you make it bleed over your death zone.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 08:56:18 am »

I've tried mass numbers of falling rock traps and I won't ever build one again for any purpose.  Had an ambush hit a huge array of them (about 750, not exaggerating) and they triggered every single trap, but only one was actually killed.  Two were kinda-injured, 5 were completely healthy.  And the goblins weren't exactly top shelf equipped either, just a mix of copper and iron.  Rock traps are poo.

I've had a lot of problems with bridges also, if even one large mount is standing in the bridge area then the bridge won't operate.  Seems about 4 goblins is enough to prevent a bridge from operating as well.  Having them fall 20 z-levels works pretty nicely though, as does drowning or magmafying.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 06:19:26 pm »

I've tossed 3 entire squads of sieging goblins (at one time) standing on my drawbridges and laughed about it (most get atomsmashed when the bridge WITHDRAWS). But that's the squadies--- not the mount riding leaders nor their cavalry.

Bridges don't care if they have 30 goblins and 10 trolls on them--- they'll still work. At least, drawbridges will. So there probably was some big critters in your goblin grouping.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 07:49:16 pm »

Whats the most efficient number of weapons in a weapon trap? Why not 10?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 08:38:46 pm »

10 is the most efficient, any less is just a waste of a spot to build a trap.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 09:44:34 pm »

Efficient in terms of what? Killing power? Space? Material used? Time? Dwarf Labour? That's why the answer changes. Clearly, if 10 sounds like the best answer to you, then you just want optimised kil potential/space ratio.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 12:28:48 am »

I use 6. It gives a good backup in terms of jamming, still kills practically anything that enters, and I never have enough metal to make 10 traps worth it. 4 rows of 6 weapon traps kills almost anything, and anything remaining is either trap immune or very very injured, so the military can get some kills :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3